Celebrity has stepped up its vegan food game

RobertoF

We are recently off of the Celebrity Edge (June 3-10; Rome to Barcelona). We have been sailing Celebrity a few times a year from Fort Lauderdale. I am vegetarian (not vegan). I often struggle to get enough protein on a cruise, and bring protein bars with me. I was pleasantly surprised to see Celebrity added some great options to the "Vegan Corner" at the lunchtime buffet. There was often tofu (the real firm tofu, not the soft stuff that comes in a box) and typically a vegan "chicken" or "beef" dish. I was told the vegan chicken is a Beyond Meat product. It tasted like seitan but I was told it is soy based. I suspect it is a mix of soy and pea protein. It seemed like it would have a lot of protein and was filling. I am assuming the vegan beef was also a Beyond Meat product. Celebrity serves a Beyond burger in Blu but I have not seen Beyond products anywhere else. My favorite dish was the opor ayam, which thankfully was served twice. Celebrity also served a lot of quinoa (beyond the typical yummy quinoa salad that is served in the Spa Cafe), and had a great roasted veggies carving station that was a regular part of the lunch buffet - butternut squash, sweet potato, bell peppers, etc. I wish Celebrity included similar dishes on the vegetarian dinner menu. But I was able to load up on enough protein at lunch that I did not have to worry about dinner. I hope Celebrity keeps offering these options because it is the best vegan food by far I have ever had on a cruise. I have included some pictures of what I had.

20230609_135759_HDR.jpg

20230608_124823.jpg

20230608_185212_HDR.jpg

20230607_151937.jpg

20230605_135054.jpg

20230605_135013.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 7

I was also impressed with the vegan options on the buffet on the Eclipse. I’m not vegan myself but allergic to dairy (and don’t eat red meat) so having a good vegan selection just gives more more options that I know are dairy free. They had a vegan taco bar one day that I really enjoyed. 

Now, I just wish Celebrity would follow RC and include vegan items on the menu. That way I don’t have to wait to be surprised by whatever the chef decided to make for the one dairy free dessert that day. There’s something nice about being able to order from the menu and know ahead of time what I’m getting. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have always had great vegan options on X...

As for "protein", when I wanted to bulk up on it, I would request a rice and beans side dish or something with tofu at dinner for that extra boost.

Often times the Chef would surprise me with a special Indian or Asian dish, which overall, had lots of protein but not the type that many would associate with being normal... LOL

While I have not been quite a fan of the new 'analogue' meats, I think it is a great way to start people to move from the real thing to being vegan for health reasons only!!!

But that be as it may, X has always been great for those of us with different eating lifestyles, rather that be readily available or by request in the OVC or MDR...

bon appetit and bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Mark_T said:

Disappointing to see the fake-meat options from a vegan/vegetarian perspective, but a great option for those just seeking a plant-based diet.

I agree and it seems that HAL is following the trend. They had a great veg menu in 2016 (no fake meat in sight), but it's been revised to mostly offer Beyond products 🙄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 39august said:

That looks very impressive. I am neither vegetarian nor vegan. But I love veggies and will be trying some of those dishes next cruise. I always enjoy the Indian food which is often vegetable.

My thoughts exactly, looks great.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 6/17/2023 at 8:52 AM, Bo1953 said:

I think it is a great way to start people to move from the real thing to being vegan for health reasons only!

Take a serious look at the nutritional information on Beyond Meat and it will change your mind about being healthy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
19 minutes ago, Wansbrough said:

A quick write-up of my wife's recent vegan experience on Celebrity Solstice.

2024 – Vegan Options on Celebrity Solstice, Singapore to Hong Kong 15-27 Jan

Mostly positive and a couple of blips but overall a big improvement.

Well done Celebrity. 👍🏼

I’m so concerned and disappointed to hear this. We have done 3 Celebrity cruises and have always been offered the standard vegan menu in the MDR on the first night. 

I am sorry to be a downer on vegan meat/foods, but people need to research what you really are consuming.  Beyond meat brand products is by no means healthy.  It is not better for your health and are highly processed and contain many additives and inflammatory oils.  They are also higher in fat, saturated fat, sodium and calories.  There are many chemicals in it also that are harmful to us such as dipotassium phosphate, potassium chloride, titanium dioxide, maltodextrin, propylene glycol, ferric orthophosphate, tertiary butylhydroquinone to name a few.  Many of these products contain soy that is now proven to cause cancer.  You also don't get the proper nutrition the body needs but if you eat vegetables and fruits you should be ok, but consider the negatives of these products.  I am just stating the facts, just care about people and want people to stay healthy.

• Like 3

@Cruisegirl6 Are you vegan? If you were, you would probably know it is one of the best ways to eat. If people would like something different now and again, why not have a Beyond Burger? They are not going to eat it all the time, my wife doesn't like the meat substitutes as she finds the textures a bit too close to mark.

Also, can you back up your statement about Soy causing cancer, many of the products that vegans eat have a soy base and I have googled the reported link between them and there are as many pros as cons. Again it's all about a varied diet.

You are more likely to get cancer from many other sources and Tofu, Hummus and soya milk probably aren't very high on the list. One website even suggests eating soy lowers the risk.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Wansbrough said:

@Cruisegirl6 Are you vegan? If you were, you would probably know it is one of the best ways to eat. If people would like something different now and again, why not have a Beyond Burger? They are not going to eat it all the time, my wife doesn't like the meat substitutes as she finds the textures a bit too close to mark.

Also, can you back up your statement about Soy causing cancer, many of the products that vegans eat have a soy base and I have googled the reported link between them and there are as many pros as cons. Again it's all about a varied diet.

You are more likely to get cancer from many other sources and Tofu, Hummus and soya milk probably aren't very high on the list. One website even suggests eating soy lowers the risk.

To each their own, those who do not want to do the research let it be.  I am a researcher, a huge researcher in many many fields, backed up by reputable sources of many kinds including declassification of government documents of all sources.  Just like medications, you may say they all are great, but each have their own drawbacks, same with food.  

Actually most of our supplements, medications, food, water and air has been poisoned to cause cancer, this is another story lol.

I just was stated a fact backed up by tons of research.  Its not the place to disclose here, it take me days to tell.

• Thanks 1

OK, let's get back on topic and stop the nonsense about soy causing cancer.  That is completely false.  You only have to go to the American Cancer Society website to know that:

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/latest-news/soy-and-cancer-risk-our-experts-advice.html

If you think "declassified" documents are more authoritative than the ACS then I have a tinfoil hat to sell you.

The point is that Celebrity is doing a great job of adding vegan options.  I agree that Beyond products are not so healthy (although they are getting better).  Eating some fake meat products with more traditional vegan options on a cruise adds something special to the experience, just like eating lobster or filet minon adds something special for some people.  Give Celebrity credit for paying attention to their vegan clients and not just going with the old standbys.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RobertoF said:

OK, let's get back on topic and stop the nonsense about soy causing cancer.  That is completely false.  You only have to go to the American Cancer Society website to know that:

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/latest-news/soy-and-cancer-risk-our-experts-advice.html

If you think "declassified" documents are more authoritative than the ACS then I have a tinfoil hat to sell you.

The point is that Celebrity is doing a great job of adding vegan options.  I agree that Beyond products are not so healthy (although they are getting better).  Eating some fake meat products with more traditional vegan options on a cruise adds something special to the experience, just like eating lobster or filet minon adds something special for some people.  Give Celebrity credit for paying attention to their vegan clients and not just going with the old standbys.

I just have to make a comment, if you think what "they" tell you is the truth you have another thing coming.  This year so much truth will be exposed of all the lies that was told to us.  I will wear the tinfoil hat at least I done the proper research and not sleeping.  Do you know the word conspiracy came from the CIA, and if you think they are good your wrong they are one of the most corrupt organizations, ok, I leave it here since its a cruise message board but had to defend myself.  I love the idea that Celebrity is making sure everybody's eating needs are met, great job Celebrity.

• Thanks 1

This is just my opinion…. I am vegan and even though I agree these products may not be the best, they are not the healthiest, they are an option.  When you are a vegan and don’t have any other options, it is important to have some kind of protein. It is really frustrating when there is nothing for you to eat, when you need protein, especially when you are stuck on a ship.  It is just temporary and better than not have any protein at all.  I absolutely agree they do need to offer other options, A LOT of people have soy intolerances or are allergic (my daughter who is vegan also is one of them).  It is extremely easy and cheap to make things vegan once you get your head around it.  Cook with oil instead of butter.  Use non-dairy milk instead of milk, and just have beans in salads, with mixed vegetables, with rice or quinoa.  Some nuts maybe? Super cheap, super easy.

• Like 2

On 3/4/2024 at 8:00 AM, Wansbrough said:

A quick write-up of my wife's recent vegan experience on Celebrity Solstice.

2024 – Vegan Options on Celebrity Solstice, Singapore to Hong Kong 15-27 Jan

Mostly positive and a couple of blips but overall a big improvement.

Well done Celebrity. 👍🏼

Agree with your experiences.

Evidently what Celebrity has offered is additional choices, rather than being integrated into the regular menus. This is supported by it being a separate section in the buffet, rather than having good choices integrated throughout. 

I have only seen the additions in the buffet as recent sailings have been dining in Luminae and Blu. So it's good to see an addition in main dining, although as you say they don't change the menu, unlike the regular menu. Blu doesn't have special options, but fortunately its regular menu has more options by default that are vegan, vegetarian, or pescetarian. 

Unfortunately, Celebrity really misses a trick in Luminae and hasn't made any changes there, which means it is the least appealing of those available. There's only one vegetarian (not vegan) dish a day, not always very good, and they don't customise, and even getting alternative menus from other restaurants is in practice problematic.

I just find it funny that vegetarians want to tell us about eating better but any talk about pesticides or cancer or ingredients is dismissed.  I don’t know that it’s all true.  You say it won’t hurt if you eat it once in a while.  I could say the same thing about meat.

You do you.

• Haha 1