Appreciate opinions on switching from TA to direct booking with cruise line.

6 minutes ago, RedJessi said:

How do you find a good one?

The best way is to ask people you meet who really like their TA.  You can't do that on Cruise critic unfortunately but there are other ways.  While on a cruise you already have booked, other social media platforms, cruising fanatics love to talk cruising so any time you meet someone is a good opportunity to bring this subject up.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

Very hard 🙂 

I know,  let's me tell ... from music man, Marian the librarian. Pick a little, talk a little cheep  cheep cheep cheep cheep. Always think of @meriam-mom. I can quote way too many musical lyrics. . Can I tell her a TA ...

"Maud:
And the worst thing
Of course, I shouldn't tell you this but-

Alma:
I'll tell.

Ethel:
The man lived on my street, let me tell.

Eulalie:
Stop! I'll tell."

https://www.allmusicals.com/lyrics/musicmanthe/pickalittlegoodnightladies.htm

Edited by firefly333
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

Looks like 'fuzzy' data to me..  😄

27 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

"There are none so blind as those who will not see."

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It's not the "data" that's "fuzzy"🤣

Maybe this is a little clearer

image.png.a48c840b6f6c708722cab634d2c79232.png

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Nice not having to check for price drops with most of the group rates

I don't know why I bother with group rate ones like I do, they are always the cheapest.  I can think of only one time where that wasn't the case and my TA let me know that the price had dropped on the group rate as well.  I think that was on Ovation to Alaska in 2022.  I think Royal added Quantum late and that changed the environment.

There is no real reason to track group rates.  I guess I'm a little OCD.  Is it possible to be both OCD and ADD at the same time. I guess I just like to track how much money I have saved.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Tree_skier said:

I don't know why I bother with group rate ones like I do, they are always the cheapest.  I can think of only one time where that wasn't the case and my TA let me know that the price had dropped on the group rate as well.  I think that was on Ovation to Alaska in 2022.  I think Royal add Quantum late and they change the environment.

There is no real reason to track group rates.  I guess I'm a little OCD.  Is it possible to be both OCD and ADD at the same time. I guess I just like to track how much money I have saved.

I don't look at Royal's rates anymore since basically all my cruises are group rates.  But I do have a spreadsheet with cost paid and price per day and OBC received. 

• Like 2

Just now, KroozNut said:

I keep Excel spreadsheets too, and what you have there, son... is the pure definition of fuzzy data! 😁

I don't know what to say junior... LOL 

It is certainly your prerogative to spend more than you have too. The data is pretty strait forward.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

When we started cruising almost 24 years ago we used a TA.  Then we started booking direct.  A couple years ago I met a guy while cruising who shared gave me a card of his TA.  We have since booked several times to this great TA. It has saved us $100s of dollars and he has been sooo helpful.  We will always use him now.  Not just for the savings but he is a great guy.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

The best way is to ask people you meet who really like their TA.  You can't do that on Cruise critic unfortunately but there are other ways.  While on a cruise you already have booked, other social media platforms, cruising fanatics love to talk cruising so any time you meet someone is a good opportunity to bring this subject up.  

I had never used a TA before but on one of our DCL cruises ended up meeting one and tried to book a few trips through him and it was......an underwhelming experience. I've since gone back to booking my own travel, but I recognize that means I never have OBC (though I am a shareholder with RCI now, so I guess I qualify for that).

On 6/20/2023 at 7:21 AM, simon.hed said:

I am too much of a control freak when it comes to planning trips. I have this subconsciously belief I can do it as well or better no matter the evidence to the contrary.

OTOH I see where people who cruise far more than we do wouldnt consider doing it for themselves. I keep saying I am going to try using a TA but I never do.

Same here, like plan and Control all. Except for the same Royal PVP I had 2015-2018 haven't used a TA in 25yrs

• Like 1

Pros and cons I guess.  I use a TA and am happy with her. She answers quick and is great with details. Usually we get a small cabin credit from her.   The big advantage is  they have group rates that may be cheaper but they are refundable while Royal wants you to book non refundable or pay more.  

• Like 1

On 6/20/2023 at 1:13 PM, goldfish65 said:

TA all the way. No brainer. You talk to the same person each time, they are savvy, and coherent, you get perks, and you're not waiting on hold interminably. 

Should say .... "When you find a good one "... Many are not ... actually why OP started thread

Cheers

• Like 2

Just now, fredmdcruisers said:

That doesn't mean that you can't benefit from a TAs offers. Transfer to your favorite TA within 30 days of booking and get the best of both worlds.

And then if there is an issue I would have to go through the TA. Not interested in TA at all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Secretlyfi said:

Are you able to get group rates if you book directly with RCL and then transfer to a TA that has group space?  In other words if a group rate is lower does your price go down when you transfer the booking to a TA?

Yes you can do that.  Don't forget that you have 30 days to transfer to a TA and it can't be past final payment or paid in full.  Group rates get recalled at 120 days prior to sailing.  Getting the group rate is not automatic, the TA needs to move it into the group and then call and get the group rate applied.  If this was a book on board at the reduced deposit you will have to top up your deposit to the full deposit amount as groups does not accept the lower next cruise deposit.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Secretlyfi said:

Are you able to get group rates if you book directly with RCL and then transfer to a TA that has group space?  In other words if a group rate is lower does your price go down when you transfer the booking to a TA?

If you book onboard be sure and get the refundable mlre expensive rate. Then the ta can move it to the group and get the groupmrate. Cant book onboard non refundable and then move it to refundable.

As a solo booking onboard I only got $75 not $100 obc, so I gave up some obc but it's still the most obc I've had in a while. I got more from the ta to make up for the reduced and from stocks. 

9 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Yes you can do that.  Don't forget that you have 30 days to transfer to a TA and it can't be past final payment or paid in full.  Group rates get recalled at 120 days prior to sailing.  Getting the group rate is not automatic, the TA needs to move it into the group and then call and get the group rate applied.  If this was a book on board at the reduced deposit you will have to top up your deposit to the full deposit amount as groups does not accept the lower next cruise deposit.

Is it possible to book direct with the cruise line at a non-refundable rate and then transfer to a TA and get a group rate?  I realize it would still be non-refundable, but I was not sure if there were non-refundable group rates or if all group rates are only refundable.   Thanks