What’s you’re favorite memory on Oceania?

BrakeawayTakeaway

I have been stalking this board for my first ever cruise this fall because I have no idea what to expect.  But my question to all my friends and family when they go on a trip is always “what was your favorite memory from the trip?” I would love to hear some favorite memories from Oceania Cruises.  

The most pertinent example and a favourite memory of mine was our first evening onboard Oceania. Marital Unit generally leaves me to deal with the details and research of cruises and cruiselines, so blunders into our holidays blind, and it’s fun to see his reaction. 

We decided to do the buffet our first night onboard, we had embarkation lunch at Waves when we first got on board, so he hadn’t seen The Terrace at all. I take him in, we find a table and sit down. He looks at the table setting, the table cloth, how just very nice it is and his first sentence is “Are you sure this is the buffet?”. I assure him it  is, drape the napkin over the backs of our chairs which elicits more shock from him - expecting one of us to have to stay and guard the table (ex Celebrity cruiser here LOL). We come back to the table very happy and he is amazed. This was the start of many many wins from my very grumpy Marital Unit about Oceania. It was a joy for me to watch his enjoyment unfurl. 

My very favourite was March 2022 Sirena Transatlantic Barbados to Barcelona. Sirena’a first restart cruise, everyone embarked worried about covid, then as we made our safe bubble across the Atlantic we were transported to the heady times of 2019 and before, a bubble of safety and fun which none of us had enjoyed for a long time, it was magical. 

I think you will find that for a lot of people it’s not the specific memory that makes O special, it has managed to create a special atmosphere which envelopes you as you board. 

It is by no means perfect, but if you want a grown up atmosphere and relaxation, it’s pretty close. 

• Like 7

Two favorites ===>

Passover evening -- we are at a Seder in the Terrace with over 100 fellow passengers sailing from Egypt to Israel...  Magic.

We are going through the Straights of Magellan.  The sea had over 10 ft swells and the ship is rocking and rolling. We are the only ones in Toscana at 7pm.  We order a bottle of red and our Croatian Sommelier decants it without spilling a drop.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

From Sirena 11/2022... On ship, I turned down the hall on deck 4 just walking around (we had a B2 on deck 6) when I ran into our former room steward, Stephen (from India), from Riviera (12/2021). We instantly recognized each other. My wife was amazed. He said he was on that deck because it was where O put them on their last cruise before taking the mandatory time off (they can only work so many months before having to leave).

Off ship... Was all by myself on a hot Saturday afternoon in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic. Just wandering the empty side streets way off the beaten path. We were the only cruise ship in port that day and few seemed to do more than just the usual tourist stuff by the cathedral, "pink street", or umbrella street. I was looking at rum, cigars, and paintings. Then walked down the mainly residential areas. As I walked by a house with an open window suddenly a young girl popped her head out and said, "Hello!" I said "Ola." (About all the Spanish I know.) Her grandmother was on a rocking chair on the porch. She knew a little English. And she told me the girl only knew how to count to 8 in English. And I said, "I think I can count to 8 in Spanish." So, the girl went first. Then I followed. We both counted to 8. We laughed. I thanked them and wished them a great day. Then enjoyed resuming the barrio walk.

• Like 4

Too many to  mention

Back in the early years  the staff  were the best memories   when ever returning to Oceania  there was always some staff that remembered  us from previous cruises

always hugs & warm welcomes all around

• Like 3

Dittos for LHT28, absolutely correct, TOOOOO many to remember. But overall it is about traveling with friends and making new friends. The Staff who quickly become friends, Staff you may not have seen for 5 or more years who immediately recognize you. We had a Asst Room Steward who was from St. Petersburg on a Baltic trip in 2010. In 2013 we were sailing on a Marina Inaugural cruise from San Francisco. This same young lady was on Marina, her name was also Marina,  on her honeymoon and had married an Italian Chef.  Anyway, she walked right up to us and introduced herself and immediately we were reunited with our O family. 16 years ago we had an Asst. Waiter in Polo who was a delightful young man, then a waiter, then selected to be a Butler on Marina and we have continued to run into him on various cruises over the years. He is Ishmael so if you are ever fortunate enough to have him as your Butler, he knows my DW as the lady with the spikey hair, say hello. 
Like an OLD cop show in the 60’s, The Naked City opened with a line,”There are 8 million stories in the Naked City and this is one”. Anyway, I am sure the loyal Oceania cruisers could regale you with 8 million stories about Oceania, it is a very special cruise line so, JUST ENJOY!

Mauibabes

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

Two favorites ===>

Passover evening -- we are at a Seder in the Terrace with over 100 fellow passengers sailing from Egypt to Israel...  Magic.

We are going through the Straights of Magellan.  The sea had over 10 ft swells and the ship is rocking and rolling. We are the only ones in Toscana at 7pm.  We order a bottle of red and our Croatian Sommelier decants it without spilling a drop.

That is so interesting I am going on a Seder at Sea next April on Regatta

Jancruz1

• Like 1

I had always wanted to do a long cruise but never found a cruise mate. Tried the now defunct Crruisemates, com. for 71N Insignia 2015 WC segment. Found another Western lady, also a Realtor, investor, type A. We did several longer O cruises. Alas, she recently died of a heart attack and maybe Diabetes type 1.  I have since cruised, mainly on O, with my boyfriend. On 2024 WC for total cruise.

• Like 1

We have just 1 Oceania cruise under our belt.  I have to say the warmth and friendliness of the staff stands out to us.  We have sailed other lines, but this is the only line I've been on when we were recognized by staff after just a couple days, and called us by name.  How do they do that?? 🙂

Looking  forward to more of that on our 2nd cruise in Vista in January 2024.

• Like 3

Have to say the sunsets from our suite on the TA.  We had an Owners suite which is the entire stern of the ship on Riviera.  sunsets and particularly the wake with the sun setting were incredible.   Same views can be had from the Terrace Café.

• Like 2

After 14 cruises on O, I have many wonderful memories.  The best was sitting on the verandah with my late husband,  watching the sea go by.  The ocean and passing scenery never fail to amaze.  Also have really enjoyed the many wonderful crew members.  On our first O cruise in the Baltic, we had waiter Romeo (from Philippines) every night in GDR. We later saw him on 2 cruises, much to our delight.  Also much to our delight we  later discovered Terrace Grill so not in GDR as much.

I'm looking at repeating my wonderful experiences as a solo on Regatta in Sept.

Hi Cynthia!

Francie

• Like 3

Hi Francie!

You're right.....sitting on the verandah with your sweetie watching the sea is about as close to a perfect time as you can have.  I know you miss him so much. 

Passengers, staff, and crew from ATW16 remain in touch with each other through the social media that must not be named.  We cheer news of a new baby, a graduation, a wedding, and send love during the bad times.  When we meet onboard again it's simply the best.

I'm delighted that you are going to sail again!  Big hugs to you

• Like 1

Francie,

I should have mentioned that on ATW16 we lost our beloved Don Horner (Hondorner for those of you who know)  CD Andy Heath had a wonderful memorial service for him onboard.

We may cruise Christmas '23 and for sure we're sailing the summer 2024 and hope to be gone over 2 months. We're eagerly waiting for the July-Dec 2025 to be published.

• Like 1

We have a favorite cabin steward.  We spent a month cruising Bali, Australia and New Zealand, in an inside cabin on Regatta.  Raj from Goa, India was the best room steward we'd ever had.  We're used to great service on O, but he went above and beyond.  He decorated our cabin and kept us laughing.  WE occasionally decorated our cabin and kept HIM laughing. He got us some Oceania swag, brought my spouse some spray for pain, and made us towel animals, even though O doesn't do towel animals. We could be gone 5 minutes and he'd swoop in and clean our cabin.  We joked that he had placed a tracking device in spouse's pocket. He was always friendly, called us by our names on the first day and thereafter, and we loved talking to him if he had time to talk.  It's a shame that when Covid hit, he stopped working on cruise ships, and (as far as I know) hasn't gone back.  

IMG_1393 rosariohadsomefunwithusononeoftheseadays.jpg

• Like 2

My favorite non-staff related memory is probably this:  Eating lunch on The Terrace on Sirena in Bordeaux after sailing the Garonne River.  What a view we had from there!   And watching the tie up was memorable too - Sirena being turned around by a tug, crew putting rat guards on the lines, and people on the shore waving at us.  It was certainly not your usual ocean cruise stop in an ugly commercial port!  And that day in Bordeaux, we were part of the entertainment.

_MG_0203 View from The Terrace .JPG

• Like 3

Yes the staff!

And, in Chilean fjords in the evening on a sea day before arriving at Puerto Montt, a table for 2 at the aft of Toscana in the long-summer evening, golden glow on the scenery - magic!

Also just this February at Terrace outside in the evening, the full moon aligned with the planets low in the sky - at more or less 2-o'clock relative to the ship, so easy to miss if you weren't looking. So we kept pointing it out to staff - one told us it was the most amazing thing she'd seen in many years at sea. Sharing the moment was really the best part.

But I get a big thrill just on embarking so...I might be easily impressed?

Best wishes for everyone creating new best-memories!

• Like 2

Getting ice cream in the Terrace on the first night on Regatta when the very friendly server asked our names during a nice conversation. The next morning that same server was making cappuccino in Baristas when I came in and she not only beamed a bright smile and called me by name but also asked where my DW was - by name. That was our introduction to Oceania and the best staff we've had on any of our dozen cruises on other lines. We are booked again already for January.

• Like 5

On 6/25/2023 at 11:12 AM, cbb said:

Francie,

I should have mentioned that on ATW16 we lost our beloved Don Horner (Hondorner for those of you who know)  CD Andy Heath had a wonderful memorial service for him onboard.

We may cruise Christmas '23 and for sure we're sailing the summer 2024 and hope to be gone over 2 months. We're eagerly waiting for the July-Dec 2025 to be published.

We also had one for Don on our 2019 ATW cruise…

• Like 1

Seeing whales breaching from our table in Toscana last August (Alaska cruise)…and 3 days in St. Petersburg in 2015 on our first Oceania cruise.  Sad to think we will never be able to return to St. Petersburg but happy we had 3 wonderful days there.