Carnival with baby

Despegue

My granddaughter was 9 months-old on her first cruise. Her parents brought on baby food and formula and was able to purchase distilled water ahead of time by calling Carnival for the formula. One our first night in the main dining room, we requested to have mashed potatoes so she could eat a bit while we placed our order. The wait staff had potatoes ready for her every evening when we sat down. She had a wonderful time and we enjoyed the week with her. 

My grandson was six-months on his first cruise. Again, his parents brought his food and formula, ordering the distilled water ahead of time. We were able to get fruit for him to put into the little mesh teether thing throughout the week. He had a wonderful time.

The biggest take-away we had was to pack more diapers and formula than you think you will need. You don't want the panic that comes with running low on either of these items. 😳

(parents first stop was Walmart on the way home)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Despegue said:

Thanks, we might have to do just that . The thing is, and this sounds maybe stupid, but since I was a kid, I always wanted to sail onboard a Carnival ship. I was, as a 7 year old, obsessed with the Joe Farcus interiours, the fun atmosphere and now I am in my 40’s with small children, the time is finally ripe to sail my Carnival 😎 (as a couple, we preferred the adult oriented lines)

Your problem may be that to sail on a Farcus ship, it will need to be Conquest class or older.  I don’t remember if the Dream was flashy, but definitely felt the Magic was dull, not memorable other than it was dull.  EM

5 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Your problem may be that to sail on a Farcus ship, it will need to be Conquest class or older.  I don’t remember if the Dream was flashy, but definitely felt the Magic was dull, not memorable other than it was dull.  EM

Dream and Magic were the last Farcus designed ships.

Edited by 787cruiser

Are you American? If you are coming overseas, I would make sure to have excellent excellent travel insurance especially if traveling with little ones to the States.

Taking a baby onboard sounds like a bad idea in the sense that kids can get really sick quickly and a cruise ship can be like a petri dish. I mean I don’t believe about keeping a baby at home but if they are exposed to that many germs and people then it is important that they have access to a pediatrician and medicine and that you are not on some ship in the middle of the ocean. The doctor on the ship might not be trained that great with babies.

Babies anyway are usually less bothersome than younger kids. I rather hear a baby cry instead of a temper tantrum 

OP, given the expectations you probably have of an on board cruise experience based on the cruise lines you normally booked, I would strongly advice you to avoid Carnival cruise line (or greatly lower your expectations).

You will not find the onboard experience any where near the level you have had on previous cruises.

If you have not tried MSC, I suggest you look closely at them for the very child friendly services on board their ships (no surprise, they are a Italian family owned cruise line).

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/on-board/cruise-for-kids

Enjoy the experiences you new little one will bring - I have never had any regrets  about the cruises or other travel we did with out daughter as an infant. 

Edited by Homosassa
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, dulcemariamar said:

...Babies anyway are usually less bothersome than younger kids. I rather hear a baby cry instead of a temper tantrum 

Totally agree with that. Infants have never been a problem for us on a cruise ship. They are never intentionally reprehensible. It is the twelve year to twenty-four year old group that is problematic.

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

OP, given the expectations you probably have of an on board cruise experience based on the cruise lines you normally booked, I would strongly advice you to avoid Carnival cruise line (or greatly lower your expectations).

You will not find the onboard experience any where near the level you have had on previous cruises...

Agree with this also. I know the OP mentioned wanting to sail Carnival since childhood, but the Carnival of today is nothing like the Carnival of old, or even the Carnival of four years ago, and what remains of Joe Farcus is mostly old, cracked and faded - just hasn't been replaced yet.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, icft said:

It is the twelve year to twenty-four year old group that is problematic.

You spelled "seventy-five" wrong.

😉

(Seriously, I know enough folks in that age range that remain problematic jerks.  Some people never actually grow out of it.)

• Haha 5

On 6/26/2023 at 8:48 PM, MommytoAsquared said:

I've never been on AIDA cruise lines, but the "baby corner" concept is interesting to me.  For me, it would be more of a turn off to cruising that line. because it would encourage more babies and small children on board.

Same. I'm younger than HAL's core demographic, but I sail with HAL because of their lack of kid-centric onboard activities, which helps to keep kids off of their ships.

Edited by ExpatBride

2 hours ago, ExpatBride said:

Same. I'm younger than HAL's core demographic, but I sail with HAL because of their lack of kid-centric onboard activities, which helps to keep kids off of their ships.

We are also HAL fans, and used to cruise with them often ( 4 stars) for the relaxed, quiet and slightly refined atmosphere, and not many kids haha, but now we are a family, our World has changed 180 degrees! 🤪 

2 minutes ago, Despegue said:

We are also HAL fans, and used to cruise with them often ( 4 stars) for the relaxed, quiet and slightly refined atmosphere, 🤪 

Carnival is raucous, alcohol driven, and nobody has ever defined the atmosphere as remotely refined.

Think very carefully about your choice.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Despegue said:

We are also HAL fans, and used to cruise with them often ( 4 stars) for the relaxed, quiet and slightly refined atmosphere, and not many kids haha, but now we are a family, our World has changed 180 degrees! 🤪 

Yeah... I would hate that 🤣

Full supportive of traveling with babies, but please don't put baby in pool or anywhere where the water can be re-circulated even if in a swim diaper.  I see people doing that it and it is a good way to cause the spread of noro.

• Like 3

So because I used to be a NICU nurse, I was actually interested in seeing what the OP was referring to and started to research.  Here's a link I found - https://www.familie-kreuzfahrt.de/babys/gut-versorgt-auf-kreuzfahrt-die-baby-corner-an-bord-von-aida

I like the suggestion of either packing an extra suitcase with the food or coming a day early and getting what you need.  Probably just me but I would never rely on blindly a cruise ship having what I use at home for a baby.  I remember packing food and formula for babysitting, day care, trips...even if they offered it.  

• Like 2

On 6/26/2023 at 4:00 PM, 787cruiser said:

IME this has far more to do with American vs European attitude/friendliness/services available for infants and babies. America is just not as accommodating, this is not just a Carnival "thing".

It's not that we aren't accommodating.  It's more of a "we can take care of it ourselves and don't need the help" independent attitude. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

It's not that we aren't accommodating.  It's more of a "we can take care of it ourselves and don't need the help" independent attitude. 

I am sure a lot of women in the US would welcome a prolonged paid parental leave, free or reasonably priced prenatal and postnatal care, and birth as well, and free daycare and preschool. It has nothing to do with the independent attitude, though, but everything with being infant/child friendly. 🙂

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I am sure a lot of women in the US would welcome a prolonged paid parental leave, free or reasonably priced prenatal and postnatal care, and birth as well, and free daycare and preschool. It has nothing to do with the independent attitude, though, but everything with being infant/child friendly. 🙂

As an American living in Scandinavia, I see these benefits as a pragmatic approach to securing the next generation of taxpayers. Without incentivizing people to reproduce, the welfare state won't survive. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

That actually wasn't what I meant.  I know many American people who independently just handle situations for their own families such as packing for a cruise with an infant.  I truthfully do not want to go down the slippery slope.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jean87510 said:

That actually wasn't what I meant.  I know many American people who independently just handle situations for their own families such as packing for a cruise with an infant.  I truthfully do not want to go down the slippery slope.

I knew what you meant and agree.  

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Have you ever cruised with a baby?

I have and it was a delight that the cruise line (Sitmar) had amenities on board such as diapers, a supervised  crib area for naps, and many other services that make the fourteen day cruise a delight.

2 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Have you ever cruised with a baby?

I have and it was a delight that the cruise line (Sitmar) had amenities on board such as diapers, a supervised  crib area for naps, and many other services that make the fourteen day cruise a delight.

That's good.  But I still would bring my own items for my peace of mind.  For instance I know the ship has shampoo and conditioner.  I bring my own.  

I have 5 kids.  I have traveled with all when I felt comfortable enough to bring them along.  I brought what I knew I was comfortable with for them such as bottles, warmers, diapers, creams...etc..  This way I felt more comfortable on the vacation having my stuff.  Not everyone is the same.  I think people should do what works for them.  Having a crib and other services are to be expected especially if arranged beforehand.  Having a particular formula brand or particular baby food expected onboard is too nerve-wracking for me.  I would just bring my own.  

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

That's good.  But I still would bring my own items for my peace of mind.  For instance I know the ship has shampoo and conditioner.  I bring my own.  

I have 5 kids.  I have traveled with all when I felt comfortable enough to bring them along.  I brought what I knew I was comfortable with for them such as bottles, warmers, diapers, creams...etc..  This way I felt more comfortable on the vacation having my stuff.  Not everyone is the same.  I think people should do what works for them.  Having a crib and other services are to be expected especially if arranged beforehand.  Having a particular formula brand or particular baby food expected onboard is too nerve-wracking for me.  I would just bring my own.  

I have 5 too and can’t imagine switching up formula or diapers with my baby on vacation.

• Thanks 1

On 6/29/2023 at 10:58 AM, mjkacmom said:

I have 5 too and can’t imagine switching up formula or diapers with my baby on vacation.

And, therefore, likely to be prepared when you travel by supplying your own.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1