Big news tomorrow (apparently!)

killarneylady

1 hour ago, poeticlicensed said:

I have been on several 3 4 and 5 day sailings on X and I have yet to categorize one of them as a rowdy booze cruise. When were were younger and our kids were little, a 3 or 4 day cruise was what we could afford.  I'm sniffing a bit of elitism

If I want to go to the beach I can fly there.  I cruise for the excursions and the onboard experience.

Elitism?  What’s elitist about not wanting a booze cruise?  Is that what i signed up for?  I notice that you say they never happen.

• Like 1

Just now, zitsky said:

If I want to go to the beach I can fly there.  I cruise for the excursions and the onboard experience.

Elitism?  What’s elitist about not wanting a booze cruise?  Is that what i signed up for?  I notice that you say they never happen.

I'm saying that people who choose shorter cruises aren't necessarily a bunch of boozers looking to get drunk. Lots of people who live in Florida choose short cruises because of the proximity and cost.its a cheap weekend away. We were on the Millie last year for a 4 day cruise. Not boozy at all.  Elitism is when you think people who take short cruises are low class boozers. And actually we went on a 7 day on Equinox right before covid and the 7 day cruise that was right before us was a music cruise and they trashed the cabins so bad we couldn't get into our rooms til almost 4. Sure it happens.  But its not a given that short cruises are and longer lengths are not. 

4 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

"Why is Celebrity visiting Coco Cay?

Celebrity Cruises is forever inspired to provide travelers a better way to experience the world around them. Part of this effort means reimagining what cruising could be, from thoughtfully designed staterooms and venues that bring people together, to exciting new programming, world-class entertainment, a robust food and beverage program, and itineraries that take guests to bucket-list places. "

Who writes this stuff?!?

Hello,

"Robust food" describes my steak on Silhouette earlier this month.

Regards,

Cublet

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, poeticlicensed said:

we went on a 7 day on Equinox right before covid and the 7 day cruise that was right before us was a music cruise and they trashed the cabins so bad we couldn't get into our rooms til almost 4. Sure it happens.  But its not a given that short cruises are and longer lengths are not. 

I just want to say a few words in defense of my fellow music cruisers.  I've done four music charters - two of them on Celebrity.  I've never trashed any cabins, I've never heard of anyone trashing their cabins, and I've never been delayed in embarking because of trashed rooms (that I know of).  So that's the other side of it.  Not all of us are uncontrollable rowdies. 🙃

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

You didn’t venture far enough on the island…there are quiet areas,

We walked the perimeter from the pier counterclockwise to South Beach and continued back to the pier, and along the way also passed through Oasis Lagoon and Harbor Beach, so I suppose we missed the outlier Cove Beach. (We also didn’t go into the paid up-charge areas, but given we could hear the music clearly at the entrance to Coco Beach Club, I didn’t hold out much hope had we paid.) By the time we got to South Beach we were done trying to get away from the noise and crowds. Chill Island … wasn’t chill in the least. Packed, and too close to Oasis Lagoon, the source of the music. But I ventured to over 90% of the island, and found no quiet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I just want to say a few words in defense of my fellow music cruisers.  I've done four music charters - two of them on Celebrity.  I've never trashed any cabins, I've never heard of anyone trashing their cabins, and I've never been delayed in embarking because of trashed rooms (that I know of).  So that's the other side of it.  Not all of us are uncontrollable rowdies. 🙃

Exactly. The cabin steward said things got out of hand the last night. But he didn't say gee this happens on every music cruise. I just don't likr the implication that those of us to take short cruises are a bunch of drunks getting rowdy. 

Edited by poeticlicensed
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, poeticlicensed said:

I'm saying that people who choose shorter cruises aren't necessarily a bunch of boozers looking to get drunk. Lots of people who live in Florida choose short cruises because of the proximity and cost.its a cheap weekend away. We were on the Millie last year for a 4 day cruise. Not boozy at all.  Elitism is when you think people who take short cruises are low class boozers. And actually we went on a 7 day on Equinox right before covid and the 7 day cruise that was right before us was a music cruise and they trashed the cabins so bad we couldn't get into our rooms til almost 4. Sure it happens.  But its not a given that short cruises are and longer lengths are not. 

Interesting that if the cabins were trashed so badly that information never made it to Cruise Critic where it would normally generate quite a bit of conversation.  Or am I not remembering a thread? Or was it just one or two cabins?

Edited by phoenix_dream

For those that have recently been to CocoCay and have formed your opinion, I respect that. But for those that have not recently been, don't rush to judgement.

I first visited CocoCay back when it was an island with beaches, and that was it. In recent years, the marketing of CocoCay has focused on the amusement park aspect and I hated that. I've posted many a "not going there" response on CC. But then through a change of plans, I had the occasion to go in March of this year. I was very pleased. Yes, the central core with all the amusements can get crowded  and noisy, but it serves as a nice kid magnet. There were so many beaches (with plenty of nice loungers and umbrellas) that we had no trouble finding several quiet spots.

Now true, we were there when there was only one ship and it was a small one. But there could have been 3 or 4 times the people and I think it would still have been nice. And above all else .. it wasn't Nassau.

cococay.jpg

• Like 8

34 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Someone must have missed posts about short cruises during March Break.  Even the CD was stunned by the antics.  Let's just say his remarks were repeated three letter acronyms. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Interesting that if the cabins were trashed so badly that information never made it to Cruise Critic where it would normally generate quite a bit of conversation.  Or am I not remembering a thread? Or was it just one or two cabins?

The implication being what? I dont know how many cabins or decks were involved i just remember sitting in a lounge for a very long time. And all the carpets in the hallways and our cabins was wet like they had to be shampooed. The cruise was Dec of 2018. I can't remember the exact dates. I didn't realize that news that doesn't make it to cruise critic apparently didn't happen. Wow. Wow. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, C 2 C said:

You have missed posts about short cruises during March Break.  Even the CD was stunned by the antics.  Let's just say his remarks were repeated three letter acronyms. 

I don't cruise short during spring break.  I generally don't cruise at all during spring break.. I've lived in Florida long enough to know to avoid amusements at that time of year. The last two 4 day cruises I did were in Jan and Feb, after the holidays, before spring break. 

2 hours ago, TequilaJane said:

All the cruise lines will be building more and more private islands. Many of the normal stops are becoming quite unsafe. This was they make more money by controling everying. Plus as a bonus you are less likely to be robbed.

The normal stops have the same safety as before. I have never experienced any crime in the Caribbean and Mexico.  Private Islands are all about captive revenue for the cruise lines. 

4 hours ago, prmssk said:

Just looking at the port schedule for June of 2024 plus the new bookings on Celebrity's website, the Beyond and the Reflection do not stop at Coco Cay on the same day.  And on each day the Beyond or the Reflection are scheduled for Coco Cay, there is a Royal Caribbean ship scheduled for that same day.  The Beyond is often paired with the Wonder of the Seas.  The Reflection's schedule seems to mostly match up with the Freedom of the Seas.

This would be interesting, and very much not what Carnival Corp does.

Speaking from experience, the food/bev service is definitely more elevated when you stop at Half Moon Cay on a HAL ship v. Carnival. Higher quality proteins at the buffet, more selection, etc. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, C 2 C said:

Someone must have missed posts about short cruises during March Break.  Even the CD was stunned by the antics.  Let's just say his remarks were repeated three letter acronyms. 

Looks like these cruises are after Spring Break in most or all of North America. 

14 minutes ago, publicpersona said:

For those that have recently been to CocoCay and have formed your opinion, I respect that. But for those that have not recently been, don't rush to judgement.

I first visited CocoCay back when it was an island with beaches, and that was it. In recent years, the marketing of CocoCay has focused on the amusement park aspect and I hated that. I've posted many a "not going there" response on CC. But then through a change of plans, I had the occasion to go in March of this year. I was very pleased. Yes, the central core with all the amusements can get crowded  and noisy, but it serves as a nice kid magnet. There were so many beaches (with plenty of nice loungers and umbrellas) that we had no trouble finding several quiet spots.

Now true, we were there when there was only one ship and it was a small one. But there could have been 3 or 4 times the people and I think it would still have been nice. And above all else .. it wasn't Nassau.

cococay.jpg

This is not at all representative of Coco Cay on a day when multiple ships are in port, especially if one of them is an Oasis class of ships.  In the morning we did find plenty of quiet spaces to sit but as more people got off the ship that quiet disappeared and so we got up and started to wander the island more.  It was really loud and busy everywhere we walked so we headed back to the ship.  That's not to say we couldn't have found lounge chairs at numerous places but we weren't finding quiet spots anymore by late morning.

I am hopeful though that the addition of Hideaway Beach helps create more quiet spots.

And I agree that it isn't Nassau (although Nassau recently opened their new terminal area so I imagine looks a bit different than even our January stop there) but a lot of the itineraries going to Coco Cay also will stop at Nassau still.

• Like 2

We are excited to inform you that your upcoming Caribbean cruise aboard Celebrity Reflection, scheduled to embark out of Fort Lauderdale, Florida, will now take place on the stunning Celebrity Beyond. You will now be experiencing one of our newest and most remarkable ships at no additional cost. Moreover, you’ll be among the first Celebrity Cruises guests to visit Royal Caribbean’s Perfect Day at CocoCay in the Bahamas.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, publicpersona said:

There were so many beaches (with plenty of nice loungers and umbrellas) that we had no trouble finding several quiet spots.

Now true, we were there when there was only one ship and it was a small one.

well, that makes all the difference. When we were there, we had Harmony and Indy the first time, and Oasis and Jewel the second time. Both ships were full, and so was the island.

10 minutes ago, Plum Happy said:

Wow, why is it taking a day at Sea after leaving Fort Lauderdale, they could make it to PD@Cococay overnight and put another destination (Key West in there). I am puzzled by this itinerary.

These "why couldn't we go to XYZ instead of a sea day?" is usually related to $$$ and/or port congestion

• Like 3

1 hour ago, poeticlicensed said:

I don't cruise short during spring break.  I generally don't cruise at all during spring break.. I've lived in Florida long enough to know to avoid amusements at that time of year. The last two 4 day cruises I did were in Jan and Feb, after the holidays, before spring break. 

So if you don’t cruise during spring break how are you certain that booze cruises don’t happen?

Just now, zitsky said:

So if you don’t cruise during spring break how are you certain that booze cruises don’t happen?

I'm not saying they don't. I've been on a number of them and I haven't seen it.  They certainly aren't marketed as such, unlike other lines. I simply do not agree that everyone on a short cruise is a rowdy drunk. Celebrity has been doing short cruises for a long time. They are a money maker. Lots of people take them for a variety of reasons. You seem to want to believe that the only reason one takes a short cruise is to booze it up. I take offense to that. I'm sure there are behaviors on all cruises, regardless of length, that are unsavory. I do not understand why you have decided that all cruisers and cruising fit into homogeneous categories. I guess life is easier that way. 

7 minutes ago, poeticlicensed said:

I'm not saying they don't. I've been on a number of them and I haven't seen it.  They certainly aren't marketed as such, unlike other lines. I simply do not agree that everyone on a short cruise is a rowdy drunk. Celebrity has been doing short cruises for a long time. They are a money maker. Lots of people take them for a variety of reasons. You seem to want to believe that the only reason one takes a short cruise is to booze it up. I take offense to that. I'm sure there are behaviors on all cruises, regardless of length, that are unsavory. I do not understand why you have decided that all cruisers and cruising fit into homogeneous categories. I guess life is easier that way. 

Can you quote me where I said ALL customers on a short cruise are alcoholics?

You seem very concerned that we don’t think that.

Edited by zitsky