Big news tomorrow (apparently!)

killarneylady

Just now, poeticlicensed said:

Oh please. The implication is quite clear, and not just about alcohol 

Well I choose to listen to people who are actually on these cruises not someone who admits to not being on them or only on a few of them.  I’m not sure why you’re so defensive.

• Like 1

According to Celebrity CoCo Cay is “big news”. Well,

as far as I am concerned I couldn’t be more

underwhelmed. I don’t care one little bit whether or

not they go there but I am sorry for those whose

bookings have been summarily altered.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

On 6/26/2023 at 3:12 PM, NutsAboutGolf said:

Well done @Honolulu Blue!  Perhaps you helped convince X that visiting could be possible

My WAG (Wild A$$ Guess) is that the new CEO is having influence of getting RCL items over to X which is probably a mixed bag on average but I think it's a good idea

the Less RCL influence, the better.  Has aleady taken X down a few notches.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TheHawk1 said:

The announcement mentions that Beyond will be doing 6 and 8 day sailings year round.  Apart from the Beyond's 2024 Mediterranean season, which appears to be cancelled, Beyond also had 10 and 11 day sailings scheduled for Winter, 2025.  I know because I'm booked on one of them. Do we know if these itineraries will be staying as is?

maybe the shorter itins will help folks subjected to the creaking issues?

• Haha 5

33 minutes ago, hcat said:

the Less RCL influence, the better.  Has aleady taken X down a few notches.

X has eroded on its own.  There has been zero improvements since the restart with the exception of the e-muster and starlink, both of which most other cruise-line also did anyways.  Food wise, no new items except for the infamous dinner double cheeseburger.  When RCI and CCL implemented the second lobster tail fee, they upgraded from Spiny to Maine lobster.  Not so on X, they charge the same fee and now with the fee-based premium selection, you still get the inferior Spiny tail lobster

• Like 1

3 hours ago, prmssk said:

This is not at all representative of Coco Cay on a day when multiple ships are in port, especially if one of them is an Oasis class of ships.  In the morning we did find plenty of quiet spaces to sit but as more people got off the ship that quiet disappeared and so we got up and started to wander the island more.  It was really loud and busy everywhere we walked so we headed back to the ship.  That's not to say we couldn't have found lounge chairs at numerous places but we weren't finding quiet spots anymore by late morning.

I am hopeful though that the addition of Hideaway Beach helps create more quiet spots.

And I agree that it isn't Nassau (although Nassau recently opened their new terminal area so I imagine looks a bit different than even our January stop there) but a lot of the itineraries going to Coco Cay also will stop at Nassau still.

We were on the Symphony late last year. We docked at Coco Cay along with the Independence. Over 10,000 guests on the island. It was definitely crowded and felt that way. We were also there the week prior on the Freedom. The only ship docked. 100% difference. I personally have no desire to pay Celebrity’s prices to land at this island. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, montythecat said:

According to Celebrity CoCo Cay is “big news”. Well,

as far as I am concerned I couldn’t be more

underwhelmed. I don’t care one little bit whether or

not they go there but I am sorry for those whose

bookings have been summarily altered.

Well said. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So here's the deal.  Beyond is taking over for Reflection in 2024, in the Caribbean.  Good for some, not for others.  We get same room category, and whatever perks you had on Reflection. One day less on first leg of BTB, which prorated, and will be subtracted from your balance before final payment.  Plus 100 or 150 additional obc, I forget which.   Any dining, excursions, would be refunded.   We don't know which rooms yet.   Email said a couple weeks before it all goes thru the system.  Big news to me, anyway.

Edited by Hawkstar33
  • Like 1

Hi,  I was booked on the Beyond for May 27, 2024. I booked this onboard The Constellation May 2023. I was advised today at 1pm my cruise has been canceled as Beyond will remain in the Caribbean. I have till July11th to pick another cruise at current prices. I will get a100.00 shipboard credit. If I do nothing my credit card will be refunded my deposit. Luckily I had no flights booked. Any excursions will be refunded along with any other dining choices. Disappointed to say the least we were looking forward to going to Istanbul on a newer ship. The cost  of the 11 night cruise had increased about 3500.00 since booking Aqua. Not sure I will rush into anything else. 100 does not seem generous. We are on the Apex in October. I am retiring in February so maybe will start looking at other options.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Otton60 said:

Hi,  I was booked on the Beyond for May 27, 2024. I booked this onboard The Constellation May 2023. I was advised today at 1pm my cruise has been canceled as Beyond will remain in the Caribbean. I have till July11th to pick another cruise at current prices. I will get a100.00 shipboard credit. If I do nothing my credit card will be refunded my deposit. Luckily I had no flights booked. Any excursions will be refunded along with any other dining choices. Disappointed to say the least we were looking forward to going to Istanbul on a newer ship. The cost  of the 11 night cruise had increased about 3500.00 since booking Aqua. Not sure I will rush into anything else. 100 does not seem generous. We are on the Apex in October. I am retiring in February so maybe will start looking at other options.

Having been on the Beyond recently I would be frustrated and angry to have my sailing canceled.  It’s a beautiful ship.  No one can explain to me why they’re taking a brand new ship and throwing it to the Caribbean.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Having been on the Beyond recently I would be frustrated and angry to have my sailing canceled.  It’s a beautiful ship.  No one can explain to me why they’re taking a brand new ship and throwing it to the Caribbean.

Most cruise lines use their newest, blingiest ships for the boring Caribbean itineraries. The thinking is that the itinerary isn't "particularly exciting", so they need an "exciting" ship. I was very happy when X decided to have Edge class in Europe, because usually the European itineraries are the older ships, since it's a more "exciting" itinerary.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Probably because of the IVs.  The Europeans can tell the difference between a balcony and a window 🙂 

• Like 4
  • Haha 11

1 minute ago, NMTraveller said:

Probably because of the IVs.  The Europeans can tell the difference between a balcony and a window 🙂 

But they get more chairs!!!  Chairs are good, right?

• Haha 1

Cococay is certainly a bigger deal for Celebrity than it is for us.  The main "con" is that Cococay will substitute for another island that would have been on the itinerary.  This may be a positive for some travelers (esp families).  Celebrity doesn't typically have a ton of kids onboard like RCI or Carnival, so families with young kids may very well get the entire kiddie play pool to themselves --- assuming no RCI ships are docking the same day, though short Caribbean itineraries do bring out the families on Celebrity.

Given that Cococay is basically a "fixed expense" I'm surprised RCI didn't add Celebrity ships earlier to utilize the island more frequently.  Celebrity isn't paying a docking fee like in most ports, and since they run the island, almost all passenger expenditures on the island accrue to RCI.  It's a big win for them.

Edited by CaribbeanBound
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, zitsky said:

So if you don’t cruise during spring break how are you certain that booze cruises don’t happen?

I thought that most cruises less than a week were booze cruises.  Especially the ones that cater to younger cruisers.  Oh wait that is Celebrity now ...

• Haha 5

19 minutes ago, CaribbeanBound said:

Given that Cococay is basically a "fixed expense" I'm surprised RCI didn't add Celebrity ships earlier to utilize the island more frequently.  Celebrity isn't paying a docking fee like in most ports, and since they run the island, almost all passenger expenditures on the island accrue to RCI.  It's a big win for them.

The revenue is captive which is a big plus but they certainly are paying fees to the Bahamas. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I thought that most cruises less than a week were booze cruises.  Especially the ones that cater to younger cruisers.  Oh wait that is Celebrity now ...

Oh you did not just say that?!  A certain poster will be very cross with you.

• Haha 1