conservatory suites Arvia

kevboy

I know that these cabins are located on decks 8( promenade)and deck nine. I can see that those on deck 8 may suffer some intrusion from passing passengers but is this the case? would it be better to have one on deck 9? I would appreciate any views from those who have experienced either deck.  thanks

kevin

My lovely daughter has booked and paid for a balcony cabin on Arvia for our anniversary. 

We have always paid for Select and chosen our cabin but she paid the saver price so we don't yet know the number. We are truly grateful for her generosity and will make the best of whatever cabin we find ourselves in, but I have to admit that I'm secretly hoping we might get lucky and not end up with a conservatory balcony as I love looking straight onto the sea and don't like the idea of the lack of privacy.

Edited by 20and counting

We haven’t been on Iona or Arvia yet, but aside from the complete lack of privacy with deck 8 cabins I have to say that I really don’t like the fact that so many of the balconies on all decks are set so far back from the side of the ship (especially the aft cabins, which we usually love). I like to look down on the water when leaning on the rail of our balcony, not onto a promenade deck / whirlpools / bars etc. We booked Iona before we’d seen all the photos of how the ship looked ‘in the flesh’ and I’m extremely relieved that we booked on the widest part of the midships ‘hump’, as our balcony is pretty much at the widest point of the ship.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, 20and counting said:

My lovely daughter has booked and paid for a balcony cabin on Arvia for our anniversary. 

We have always paid for Select and chosen our cabin but she paid the saver price so we don't yet know the number. We are truly grateful for her generosity and will make the best of whatever cabin we find ourselves in, but I have to admit that I'm secretly hoping we might get lucky and not end up with a conservatory balcony as I love looking straight onto the sea and don't like the idea of the lack of privacy.

Deck 8 conservatory cabins are, in my opinion far, far better than no cruise at all. In fact we may give one a try .We can't really comment much without trying one out.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

We haven’t been on Iona or Arvia yet, but aside from the complete lack of privacy with deck 8 cabins I have to say that I really don’t like the fact that so many of the balconies on all decks are set so far back from the side of the ship (especially the aft cabins, which we usually love). I like to look down on the water when leaning on the rail of our balcony, not onto a promenade deck / whirlpools / bars etc. We booked Iona before we’d seen all the photos of how the ship looked ‘in the flesh’ and I’m extremely relieved that we booked on the widest part of the midships ‘hump’, as our balcony is pretty much at the widest point of the ship.

You still will not be able to look straight down on the ocean however, although the promenade deck is much narrower below your cabin.

2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

You still will not be able to look straight down on the ocean however, although the promenade deck is much narrower below your cabin.

Yes, from the deck walk around videos I’ve seen there is a narrow section of promenade deck that looks as though it might be suspended above the water, but it’s too narrow for seats etc

2 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Yes, from the deck walk around videos I’ve seen there is a narrow section of promenade deck that looks as though it might be suspended above the water, but it’s too narrow for seats etc

That is one of the few places on the prom deck where you can see the sea without glass in the way, useful for taking photos

BULGE.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, davecttr said:

That is one of the few places on the prom deck where you can see the sea without glass in the way, useful for taking photos

BULGE.jpg

I’ve noticed how tall the glass screens are on much of the promenade deck. Screens of that height are usually reserved for the much higher open decks on the other ships. I assume that because the promenade decks on Iona and Arvia protrude out they are more susceptible to wind than on the older ships where there is a degree of cover? 

53 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Deck 8 conservatory cabins are, in my opinion far, far better than no cruise at all. In fact we may give one a try .We can't really comment much without trying one out.

In all honesty, I would prefer no cruise at all than the cabins I photographed above. I could even see people sitting at their dressing table at night! 

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

I’ve noticed how tall the glass screens are on much of the promenade deck. Screens of that height are usually reserved for the much higher open decks on the other ships. I assume that because the promenade decks on Iona and Arvia protrude out they are more susceptible to wind than on the older ships where there is a degree of cover? 

Yes, there are several wind breaks placed along the prom deck which give some relief.

• Thanks 1

I had a deck 8 forward cabin and loved it. Most people walked on by without staring in and if I was stood out leaning on the rail would speak. but as others have said any cabin is better than no cabin in my eyes and I would not turn anything down and make it work.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ardennais said:

In all honesty, I would prefer no cruise at all than the cabins I photographed above. I could even see people sitting at their dressing table at night! 

You didn't have to look.🤣

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

You didn't have to look.🤣

Human nature I suppose, and I was also doing it in the name of research!!

Seriously, I wouldn’t be able to make it work for me, and what’s worse, it would cost even more than our normal balcony cabin. I like my privacy. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Winifred 22 said:

I had a deck 8 forward cabin and loved it. Most people walked on by without staring in and if I was stood out leaning on the rail would speak. but as others have said any cabin is better than no cabin in my eyes and I would not turn anything down and make it work.

I suppose we’re all different and it’s good to know that some people actually like these cabins.

We’re in the process of booking 4 cabins for a family cruise on Iona next year, and as there’s no dining preference or shuttles in the Fjords, I would probably chance a Saver fare. These cabins however are the stumbling block so we will go for Select just to avoid them - and tick no upgrade! 

17 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

I suppose we’re all different and it’s good to know that some people actually like these cabins.

We’re in the process of booking 4 cabins for a family cruise on Iona next year, and as there’s no dining preference or shuttles in the Fjords, I would probably chance a Saver fare. These cabins however are the stumbling block so we will go for Select just to avoid them - and tick no upgrade! 

I wouldn't have one by choice, but at a silly cheap price would probably give it a go. My fear would be a deck 5 balcony.

• Haha 2

I booked a saver BC on Arvia for a two week Caribbean last Jan.

We were given the cabin in the pic. I tried to be all brave and even posted a gung ho thread on here. However the more I looked I could see everyone walking in an anti clockwise direction around that wind break would be facing directly into our cabin. It started to grate me. I contacted P&0 and said it obstructed by the glass and should be advertised as such - no joy. I even argued the meaning of the world balcony - no joy. 

As it happened we both caught covid and had to cancel with a full refund from our insurance. I'll never book a balcony saver on Arvia or Iona again - the risk is too high. . I rebooked a select for next Jan and with the OBC there's no price difference between that horrendous saver and an aft cabin with a larger balcony plus a tremendous unobstructed private view . Lesson learnt.  

On a balcony I want to look out to sea not a load of bald heads from Yorkshire (stick relevant county in here..) 

PXL_20230122_160147416 (2).jpg

Edited by doog442