How strict is the dress code onboard?

RonWL

2 hours ago, Rothko1 said:

My tailor is in Hong Kong, but to be frank, I haven't ordered anything from them in a few years.

Used to use a great tailor there on the 1st floor below the Kimberly Hotel.  Wonder if he's still there?  Used to get custom work shirts at good prices from Tyrwhitt in the U.K. via mail order from time to time, but fabric selections for custom have dwindled to just 2.

Edited by canderson

3 hours ago, canderson said:

Am sure I can generate a perfect full Windsor faster than anyone I know can do the same with a bow tie.  The latter always seems to require a bit of tweaking to get real perfection... well, according to my wife, anyway, who insists on doing the tweaking!

Wow, It has been so long since I wore a tie that I need to go practice.  Gulp!

Thanks for posting.

• Haha 1

On 7/10/2023 at 1:45 PM, bitob said:

Thanks.  I am on a b2b - one leg is 14 days; the other leg is 7 days.  Should be interesting.

If anyone cares, I will post something about the current status of the dress code.  Maybe I can get some clarification of formal optional.

Yes please. Thanks

10 hours ago, Rothko1 said:

Perhaps you misunderstood me.  I have cruised Silversea several times; for formal nights I bring one or two of my dinner jackets.  I would never wear a suit on the formal night; I'm happy to be in the ever-dwindling percentage of men wearing black tie on a formal night.  On the other nights, a blazer is sufficient.

I don't understand why a suit is a better option than a tuxedo, other than the fact that a person might not own a tuxedo but they own a suit.  Then of course I understand bringing what you own instead of renting a tux.  Although I will note that buying a tuxedo need not cost an arm and a leg; you can often find great deals out there. 

But otherwise, it really takes very little additional time to dress in a tuxedo than it does to put on a suit.

I mentioned your post to my husband, and he's looking online to find a tuxedo. He's 6'4" and not fat, so it's hard to find upscale clothes that are for tall people who aren't obese. He already has some business suits, and a number of nice jackets from past cruises that still fit him well.

He used to rent tuxedos when we celebrated big time on New Year's Eve, but that was a while back, when I bought a new gown every year for the party. I only plan to wear a nice dress since I have no need for a gown at this point, and donated them (except for the one for my  final arrangements, but it weighs too much to bring on a cruise).

We are booked on the Silver Dawn for the 2025 Silversea world cruise, so we'll have a lot of formal nights. We weren't able to book a large suite, so we won't want to eat in our cabin on a regular basis, and I was hoping they had gotten rid of "hot rocks" which we didn't enjoy previously, and it's likely to not be available on our "off season" world cruise. But, he will still need to have a jacket every night to visit the bars and entertainment, and he won't want to wear a tux after dinner, nor would I want to wear a gown for that. Dancing in a gown isn't something I want to do anymore.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rothko1 said:

That's a good point.  A French cuff shirt can be worn with a suit; although you see less of those these days (along with less suits in general).

My husband does wear a French cuff shirt with cuff links with his suit when cruising. I always need to remind him to bring the cuff links since they're very hard to find in most cruise ports.

4 minutes ago, RonWL said:

They have dancing on Silversea?

On our last cruise  - 54 days on the Moon -   there was a large group of ballroom dancers and every night in the Panorama Lounge they were waltzing, foxtroting and cha cha charing to  the  music from the boys in the band.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, mitz18 said:

I'm always amazed at how often this subject comes up on this board. ..................

Considering the many options out there, it seems rather simple - choose the option that fits your style.  Don't pick a Disney cruise and complain about kids.  Don't pick Carnival and complain about belly flop contests and loud crowds.  And DON'T pick Silversea and complain about dress codes.  Move on......

TOTALLY AGREE  !   😃

For those who really don't want to follow the Silversea dress code, which does exist and we have seen enforced, I would recommend Regent. We have cruised Regent more than any other cruise line (and we never cruise on very large ships). Regent only has "formal optional", so jackets and ties are never required. "Formal optional" nights are only on longer cruises, which I believe is 15 nights or longer. And you still don't need to wear a gown or a suit in the restaurants and bars. We sailed a few months ago on a 14 night in the Caribbean on Navigator, and while a few people wore jeans and sneakers to dinner, nearly everyone dressed nicely, but not in formal wear. Last fall, we did back to backs from Southampton to Southampton, and Southampton to Barcelona, and since each cruise was 12 nights, there was no "formal optional" night. We have always found the service, food, and housekeeping to be very good to excellent.

We are taking a world cruise on Silversea rather than Regent because the itinerary is what we were looking for. It stops at a lot of ports that we have not visited in the past, and the few that we do revisit are those we don't mind stopping at again.

21 minutes ago, RonWL said:

They have dancing on Silversea?

Of course they do. If there's music, there's dancing. Even on the Viking River cruises and Sea Dream Yacht Club, there's DJ music after dinner concludes, and there's dancing.

10 minutes ago, SWFLAOK said:

We have cruised Regent more than any other cruise line

Never tried Regent.  It was my mother's favorite line.  I think they were the first cruise line to offer booze as part of the regular package.  Since my wife and I do not drink, we didn't book Regent.  Now all luxury lines have "free booze," so we're buying everyone drinks.

Until its demise (a shameful one at that) we loved Crystal; we have booked a cruise on the "new" (under Abercrombie & Kent) Crystal next year.

10 minutes ago, RonWL said:

Never tried Regent.  It was my mother's favorite line.  I think they were the first cruise line to offer booze as part of the regular package.  Since my wife and I do not drink, we didn't book Regent.  Now all luxury lines have "free booze," so we're buying everyone drinks.

Until its demise (a shameful one at that) we loved Crystal; we have booked a cruise on the "new" (under Abercrombie & Kent) Crystal next year.

I know you know there is a difference between "free" booze and "included" booze. As with everything else, there's no free lunch!! 🤪

14 minutes ago, RonWL said:

Cheers.

3 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

I know you know there is a difference between "free" booze and "included" booze.

Exactly....  That's why I put "free" in quotation marks....  

Just a quick query.  You mentioned Regent.  How about Seabourn?  Anyone cruise with them?  How does that line compare with Silversea?

10 hours ago, Rothko1 said:

A tuxedo takes up no more room than a suit.  And it really takes no longer to put on than a suit...So I don't buy into the argument that wearing a tuxedo is more work or takes any longer to get dressed.

I own a tux from 30 (are?) years ago. It still hangs in my closet for reason I can't explain, but it no longer fits. In the past decade, I've needed a tux once for a formal wedding, and I rented one — because I wasn't sure I'd need to wear one again in the next 10 years. So my answer to your question is that it' has nothing to do with ease of putting on a tux, but everything to do with owning a tux that fits. (Also, technically, a tux should have proper dress shoes, which for me would be an extra pair of size 13W shoes to pack, which is non-trivial.)

8 hours ago, mitz18 said:

I'm always amazed at how often this subject comes up on this board.  I don't need to read 10 pages of posts to know what was said.  "Why does it bother you if I don't wear a tie?".  "Why can't SS get with the program and move towards casual?".  " Why can't everyone else change to what I want?" "It's about me, me, me"

Well, if you didn't read through the thread, you missed my posts which spelled out how the stated "dress code" is not very clear on a number of points — which is why there are ongoing and ever-repeating  questions about the dress code. 

Also, if you read the post which started this thread, it has nothing to do with "me, me, me", nor or wanting Silversea to change its dress standards; it was a practical question about what was or wasn't actually required — which as I've noted isn't perfectly clear — from a passenger who is hoping to travel with carry-on luggage. It was a perfectly reasonable question. Then people layer their own opinions and sensibilities about the dress onboard Silversea, and we end up with an 11-page (and counting) thread. 😉

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

I know you know there is a difference between "free" booze and "included" booze. As with everything else, there's no free lunch!! 🤪

I guess I don't know the difference.  Based on many comments like this, there doesn't seem to be any such thing as "free" booze.  Could you explain what it is and how I should properly use the term?  [or is it just pedantic?]

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I guess I don't know the difference.  Based on many comments like this, there doesn't seem to be any such thing as "free" booze.  Could you explain what it is and how I should properly use the term?  [or is it just pedantic?]

"Included" means there's no extra charge if you choose to indulge -- it's included in the fare.

"Free" would be a misnomer since you're paying for it in the fare whether you're drinking it or not!

TANSTAAFL

8 minutes ago, canderson said:

"Included" means there's no extra charge if you choose to indulge -- it's included in the fare.

"Free" would be a misnomer since you're paying for it in the fare whether you're drinking it or not!

TANSTAAFL

And since no one is confused by calling it "free" the repeated complaints about the usage are, as I surmised, pedantic.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RonWL said:

Exactly....  That's why I put "free" in quotation marks....  

Just a quick query.  You mentioned Regent.  How about Seabourn?  Anyone cruise with them?  How does that line compare with Silversea?

I'm a Crystal cruiser, 44 with the old Crystal, 2 booked with the new Crystal and hoping for the best. I'm a solo cruiser and in the old days Crystal was always much more cost effective. Never did any other luxury lines because they were so much more expensive for what you got. My Silversea was during the time Crystal was in limbo. Have one more with Silversea, but if the new Crystal is as good as I'm hoping, I see no reason to do the others.