Live Seascape YC (7/9-7/16): A Celebrity Loyalist Jumps Ship

GenerationX

6 minutes ago, KKB said:

Honestly, I didn't find the approach (both in Caribbean & Europe) all that different than the other mainstream lines I have sailed.

All the same basic components...just not executed quite as well overall. 

Actually they have a quite reliable language support for non native English speaking individuals, at least for the main EU languages. Their service is generally more on the reserved professionalism side of the pond we appreciate here in Europe, not on your face. Actually I want my servers to serve me, not to be my best life friends for the week. Among other small details that keep me being a repeat cruiser with them. Those are the little details. Oh, and generally their shore excursions are language market tailored and generally cheaper than on the competitors. That itself plays a big portion of the thing as well. So; yes; different approach that you can't really to compare. Obviously if true US approach is your cup of tea, then MSC won't be for you. That I understand. Have a nice day!...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nunagoras said:

Actually they have a quite reliable language support for non native English speaking individuals, at least for the main EU languages. Their service is generally more on the reserved professionalism side of the pond we appreciate here in Europe, not on your face. Actually I want my servers to serve me, not to be my best life friends for the week. Among other small details that keep me being a repeat cruiser with them. Those are the little details. Oh, and generally their shore excursions are language market tailored and generally cheaper than on the competitors. That itself plays a big portion of the thing as well. So; yes; different approach that you can't really to compare. Obviously if true US approach is your cup of tea, then MSC won't be for you. That I understand. Have a nice day!...

Yes, things were announced in multiple languages.

I found crew overall to be just as lovely as other lines--very personable & striving to make connections.

(tho I did find some officers NOT to be that way--aloof, chastising crew in front of guests)

I agree that their shore excursions to be well-priced.

• Like 2

OP

"The end result was that my child had a 3 dessert lunch, but that’s what vacation is for"

Isn't that the truth!  Several of my onboard meals consist of shrimp cocktail after shrimp cocktail after shrimp cocktail.

Really enjoying your posts and those dresses are fantastic!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/15/2023 at 11:26 AM, jules815 said:

This is why we only cruise now while school is in session. We're not anti-children, we've successfully raised two. I will say that when we have seen children on Celebrity in Luminae, or in the YC, they've all been very well behaved. Our preferred cruising time is September and October, or that sweet spot following spring break before schools get out for the summer.

We too prefer the shoulder seasons, but should you cruise in Europe you’ll find that European school breaks may differ from ours. 

• Like 1

Great review, Charla! I’ve enjoyed following along with you and Gen Z on your MSC adventures. I’m looking forward to your review of your suite and the rest of your summary. Once you’ve had time to process this cruise experience, I’d love to know which ship (Divina or Seaside) you’d choose for another solo cruise (or a cruise with Jeremy). 

4 hours ago, no1talks said:

That may have been entirely accurate from his perspective.

During our cruise, the shrimp course was delayed one evening and the server mentioned the YC kitchen had been late getting the shrimp from another kitchen.

It would seem a server cannot unilaterally redistribute ship's inventory, the way management can.

this is good to know because if  on a cruise come between me and my shrimps (cocktail or otherwise) I will play that card.  

Thank you for your updates! I am loyal to Royal and just booked on the Seaside for September. After doing some research I was having buyers remorse (Booked Bella) but the more reviews I read and videos I watch Im starting to change my perspective.

I had a question about the Fun Pass. Ive seen in videos of the "buy more play more" but in my planner there is just the option for 70$ and says nothing that buying this will give extra. Was your experience the same with prepurchasing? Thanks!!

On 7/9/2023 at 7:39 AM, GenerationX said:

Here we are! After 6 months of waiting it’s finally Seascape embarkation day!

Last night my very well dressed dinner dates and I tried a restaurant I hadn’t been to before for dinner called The Rusty Pelican.  A few cruises back I met a really nice Miami-based AA flight attendant on my trip and she mentioned how much she enjoys brunches there and suggested checking it out.

The restaurant is in a marina on Key Biscayne so it’s a short but a little more pricey (thanks to the toll charges the drivers incur) drive from Brickell.  The views of the ocean and Miami alone are totally worth it though.  

From certain areas of the restaurant there’s also a great view of the Miami cruise port. I kind of wished we’d reserved our dinner a little earlier so we could’ve sat on the patio and watched the cruise ships sail off while we ate.

You’re also definitely paying a location tax on the menu prices, but they do give you your money’s worth on the portions.  Gen Z had a kids salmon plate (which I missed getting pic of as she dove into devouring it before the server had even set it on the table good) and I had lobster and shrimp risotto with a “side” broccoli and broccolini plate.  Sometimes with seafood risottos they skimp you on the actual seafood meat, but this one came with a whole lobster tail and several very juicy and flavorful jumbo shrimp.

For dessert, Gen Z had cookies and cream ice cream and I had the chef’s special dessert of the night: an absurdly rich and decadent bread pudding which turned out to be the size of Gen Z’s head, topped with caramel ice cream and smothered in a warm brandy caramel sauce.  By about bite #7 I knew I’d be having no trouble sleeping.

Service was great when we started our meal a little before 7, but as the restaurant filled for the main dinner rush our server was clearly overextended and just getting our from placing our dessert order to getting the check took over an hour.  Next time I’ll definitely plan for early dinner there.

I just checked the port of Miami schedule and it looks like Seascape is at Terminal C today. There are only 2 other ships scheduled but both are on the bigger side (Carnival Celebration and NCL Escape) so I can see potential for the port to be busy.

In a little bit we’ll pull ourselves out of these comfy beds (hey it’s Sunday and we’re on vacation) dress and head to the hotel restaurant for some breakfast, then we’ll get all packed up and get ready to head to port.

26D6D2D5-62E1-4AB2-BF30-FC561842893F.thumb.jpeg.949e44c06c46ff58db5c5f958ce3f1ed.jpeg

3704FB22-8330-4CBB-BDFA-25C7D9F7C119.thumb.jpeg.0aa3ee7a84849821fef5b08978c01133.jpeg

38523C0A-18FF-4A50-96DE-341C15163B98.thumb.jpeg.d9c5d4ac2744c40f6dc825446df9069a.jpeg

2820016C-F598-4197-9347-C50AA39BFE37.thumb.jpeg.6cfab4f698cad18f5fad67a01504acd9.jpeg

FC780633-00DB-4E14-8D13-F27D683CC23F.thumb.jpeg.8b42523efaaea3b11d74fd8dfe809fba.jpeg

45575E2C-4DB9-420E-95BB-D642C8B54622.thumb.jpeg.75c9c34373435661604e6abbf56e9022.jpeg

D665B813-A789-482D-9AE1-EACE1571E757.thumb.jpeg.7c5c7a88c5e94f78af813da2aada7f8b.jpeg

1A283E5A-BCCB-4189-8CA5-DF96281F4727.thumb.jpeg.2b128abf3e249e9fb40173e4daf42fab.jpeg

461F9DBA-41F7-4834-BC28-F90D5BC3C3FA.jpeg

OMG! The Rusty Pelican is still around? I went there on my first "fancy" date in 1977 when I was 17. Of course, I was madly in love and was sure we'd be together forever going to the RP for our anniversaries.  Nope. But it was a fabulous meal and the memories are good.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2023 at 10:07 PM, Mcgeneseo said:

OMG! The Rusty Pelican is still around? I went there on my first "fancy" date in 1977 when I was 17. Of course, I was madly in love and was sure we'd be together forever going to the RP for our anniversaries.  Nope. But it was a fabulous meal and the memories are good.

There are several around Florida! We have one up here in Tampa as well. 🙂

• Like 1

16 hours ago, deseylou said:

I can’t believe this has dropped to page 3.

I’m impatiently waiting for the rest of the trip and the cabin review.

IMHO - Charla was unbelievable generous in sharing her precious time with Mini-Me to bring us along on her cruise. She is back at work now and taking care of her family & farm animals. I know she will return to finish sharing as her time allows.

Patience is a virtue.

Kay

• Like 7

3 hours ago, MarKay525 said:

IMHO - Charla was unbelievable generous in sharing her precious time with Mini-Me to bring us along on her cruise. She is back at work now and taking care of her family & farm animals. I know she will return to finish sharing as her time allows.

Patience is a virtue.

Kay

Well said, Kay. And thank you.

On 7/9/2023 at 8:16 AM, GenerationX said:

You know if I could just stop having these extravagant avocado toast breakfasts (with Cuban mimosas featuring a passion fruit liqueur), I could probably afford to sail Silversea. lol

We are all dressed and on our way to port!

3088956D-0369-4C55-9A59-34BB0BDDDF79.thumb.jpeg.83da54a85dc86d2308c3760536755e30.jpeg

51389751-0656-47E8-B234-829457654071.thumb.jpeg.aba9fd0d16d57c0afeb285dfbbbbfb99.jpeg 

WHERE DID YOU GET THE MAP DRESSES?!? SOOOO CUTE!

On 7/7/2023 at 11:56 AM, mac_tlc said:

I’m in!!

HI Mac! How are you and the wife doing? I see you have more celebrity cruises booked. Starting to do that more than Royal?  Wife and I love Royal but the price for CLS are starting to be more money than we think it is worth. We are planning to cruise more in late 2024 and forward when wife retires. Hopefully we get to meet up again. I sure miss those cruise critic meet n greets and MSC had the best one.

Are you planning to try MSC YC or have you sailed on them? The price and inclusions of YC compared to Sky on Royal cant be beat. That has made the road to P longer with Royal. I love RCCL for the camaraderie and meeting other cruisers in the D lounge and on long sailings. It is great in the Top Sail Lounge but most wont be as ardent cruisers (we have only run into one couple that we have cruised with before on MSC).

Have wonderful time on your sailings and cant wait till our cruising paths cross again.

On 7/9/2023 at 10:56 AM, Mark_T said:

... and in my case it is entirely a result of Charla's previous live thread that we ended up on Divina last month... ... and now have another Divina reservation for next Feb.

We were on Divina for a week this past June 9th. Were you onboard then?

Wife and I prefer the Seaside class YC. Divina was a little to small and not many snacks in YC. We sailed Europa the next week and while the ship is large, the YC pool deck and hot tub is laughable for a ship with that many YC passengers. Divina did not have a nice spa like Seaside class ships, so that was a disappointment to us. While the Europa had a nice Spa, you had to make a reservation for a 1 hour slot in advance. I liked the Seaside class where I could walk in anytime it was open and enjoy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, frank808 said:

We were on Divina for a week this past June 9th. Were you onboard then?

Wife and I prefer the Seaside class YC. Divina was a little to small and not many snacks in YC. We sailed Europa the next week and while the ship is large, the YC pool deck and hot tub is laughable for a ship with that many YC passengers. Divina did not have a nice spa like Seaside class ships, so that was a disappointment to us. While the Europa had a nice Spa, you had to make a reservation for a 1 hour slot in advance. I liked the Seaside class where I could walk in anytime it was open and enjoy.

Yes, we were onboard for the first 4 days of your week as a trial.

We don't use the spa facilities so not a negative for us, and the snacks in YC were more than adequate for our needs given how much food there was in general, so no complaints there either.

We may try one of the larger ships another time, but our next cruise will be back on Divina next February in the Caribbean.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, frank808 said:

HI Mac! How are you and the wife doing? I see you have more celebrity cruises booked. Starting to do that more than Royal?  Wife and I love Royal but the price for CLS are starting to be more money than we think it is worth. We are planning to cruise more in late 2024 and forward when wife retires. Hopefully we get to meet up again. I sure miss those cruise critic meet n greets and MSC had the best one.

Are you planning to try MSC YC or have you sailed on them? The price and inclusions of YC compared to Sky on Royal cant be beat. That has made the road to P longer with Royal. I love RCCL for the camaraderie and meeting other cruisers in the D lounge and on long sailings. It is great in the Top Sail Lounge but most wont be as ardent cruisers (we have only run into one couple that we have cruised with before on MSC).

Have wonderful time on your sailings and cant wait till our cruising paths cross again.

Great to hear from you Frank! When it’s just the two of us, we have gravitated to X and the Retreat. Now, Royal and X suite prices are crazy. Plus with Royal seemingly going all in on 3/4 nighters, we have expanded our view.

Considering MSC YC, although those prices are creeping up also. 

Also looking at Oceania and maybe Viking (for the itineraries and lecturers). 

Hope our paths cross again!

mac_tlc

14 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

Great to hear from you Frank! When it’s just the two of us, we have gravitated to X and the Retreat. Now, Royal and X suite prices are crazy. Plus with Royal seemingly going all in on 3/4 nighters, we have expanded our view.

Considering MSC YC, although those prices are creeping up also. 

Also looking at Oceania and maybe Viking (for the itineraries and lecturers). 

Hope our paths cross again!

mac_tlc

We have MSC Euriba for 3 weeks in Oct 2024 out of Hamburg. Have MSC America booked 5/24/25 to 6/21/25 in Miami if you are looking at booking a MSC cruise 🙂.

We will be boarding Brilliance on Sept 17 in Vancouver for her last Alaskan cruise and then stay on for our first trans pacific to home to Hawaii.