Carnival ships with Starlink as of right now

Brand Ambassador John Heald posted on his FB page the following list of Carnival ships that are confirmed to have Starlink up and ready:

Carnival Panorama

Carnival Elation

Carnival Sunrise

Carnival Valor

Carnival Venezia

Carnival Pride

Carnival Magic

Carnival Sunshine

Carnival Vista

In addition, the XL ships (Mardi Gras, Carnival Celebration) have it, and he of course says there's more to come.

Two very quick thoughts.  First, I'll be on the Magic in November, and it's nice to know there will be steady and reliable Internet onboard - especially when I prepaid for it.  Second, the list above seems... random.  The Elation got an upgrade, but the Paradise didn't.  The Panorama and Vista got it, but not the Horizon.  Sunrise and Sunshine yes, but Radiance no?  Whatever.

47 minutes ago, TexasJohn82 said:

I wonder if we will see a price drop on Wifi (will have to happen industry wide) as Starlink should be cheaper.

most likely the wifi price will increase. starlink for business for marine ships is not cheap

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Mallow said:

I was hoping for the Legend to have it before my September cruise.

They could still install it.  🙏 My understanding is putting the equipment on and making sure it works doesn't take that long.

4 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Two very quick thoughts.  First, I'll be on the Magic in November, and it's nice to know there will be steady and reliable Internet onboard - especially when I prepaid for it.  Second, the list above seems... random.  The Elation got an upgrade, but the Paradise didn't.  The Panorama and Vista got it, but not the Horizon.  Sunrise and Sunshine yes, but Radiance no?  Whatever.

It's on ships which have been to drydock since June 30, 2022 when use in moving vehicles was approved. Paradise goes later this year and presumably will get it then. Radiance doesn't need to go back yet; she was actually Victory last time she went to drydock.

• Thanks 1

Everything on these ships has a replacement/maintenance schedule. I'm sure they don't have the shoreside or shipboard crew to coordinate replacing the networking equipment on all their ships at once, so it has to be staggered. It might seem random but I am sure there is a reason as to why the Panorama and Elation got the upgrade already but not the Radiance or Horizon as an example.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

The seemingly random nature of which ships have it and which don’t is probably due to the logistics of installation. The people/teams to install have to be where the ships are when they are free to do the work. When their schedules & location match then they’ll get it installed. 

• Like 1

On 7/10/2023 at 11:51 AM, TexasJohn82 said:

I wonder if we will see a price drop on Wifi (will have to happen industry wide) as Starlink should be cheaper.

It's doubtful that we will see any price decrease.  Everything on cruises seems to be going up steadily of late.  Even if it is less expensive, Carnival isn't likely to pass that along with all the debt they are trying to pay off.

• Like 1

I think you are right Lee in that the primary cost will be the same or more.  I think, perhaps, if it is significantly less expensive for Carnival maybe they will roll internet into more specials.  Things like book an excursion get 25% off internet (as opposed to the 10% off they sometimes give currently) or buy the drink package and get half off internet, or maybe even give it to the gamblers as one of their perks like the drinks on us.  Time will tell.

We were on the magic two weeks ago and had mid level internet.  If they have starlink up and running it is nothing to write home about.  The internet was down for hours each day.  Late at night it would get up to 3 Mbps down and 2 Mbps up with a ping in the 200's.  Usable to read the news and check email at least some of the time in the day but that was it.    

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 7/10/2023 at 1:40 PM, shof515 said:

most likely the wifi price will increase. starlink for business for marine ships is not cheap

No, Starlink Maritime is a tiny fraction of the cost of other satellite internet providers. It's about 5,000/month versus 150,000/month. 

https://cruiseradio.net/starlink-maritime-carnival-cruise-line/#:~:text=Starlink Maritime on Cruise Ships&text=Hooking up a cruise ship,up to %24150%2C000 a month.

And for those curious, I'm on Carnival Paradise now and the internet is significantly better than it was only 9 months ago when I was on it last time. (fwiw, I also have Starlink at home)

Edited by RyanThomas
Added current experience aboard Paradise

1 hour ago, RyanThomas said:

No, Starlink Maritime is a tiny fraction of the cost of other satellite internet providers. It's about 5,000/month versus 150,000/month. 

how do you explain the recent wifi pricing that went into effect today where every package is now like 3 dollars higher then it was earlier this year

19 minutes ago, shof515 said:

how do you explain the recent wifi pricing that went into effect today where every package is now like 3 dollars higher then it was earlier this year

Simple:  They think people will still buy it at the new higher price no matter what Carnival is psying for it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, shof515 said:

The cost of materials has nothing to do with the retail price of a good or service. Carnival will charge what people will pay.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shof515 said:

It's about value perceived by the consumer, not what it actually costs. Starlink service provides a better value and can fetch even *more* profit for Carnival because now margins for this product are WIDE open. From a business perspective, it's a brilliant move.

Even knowing all this, I'd still rather pay $18/day for usable internet, than $15/day for laggy and frustrating internet.

13 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I didn't mean to imply that Carnival was unique in how they arrive at retail prices. It's not really a secret or anything nefarious.

Did not think you did/were, just making the point.

Edited by jimbo5544

3 minutes ago, RyanThomas said:

It's about value perceived by the consumer, not what it actually costs. Starlink service provides a better value and can fetch even *more* profit for Carnival because now margins for this product are WIDE open. From a business perspective, it's a brilliant move.

Even knowing all this, I'd still rather pay $18/day for usable internet, than $15/day for laggy and frustrating internet.

Double bingo.  Well said.

• Like 1

Cruised on the Panorama in August.  Was very impressed with Starlink.  It was faster than expected.  Encountered just a handful of instances where I had issues with connectivity for 45-60 seconds, but overall it was a significant internet improvement over our previous Panorama cruise.