Sommelier in Luminae not part of staff

Sigyn

Interesting - we just got off the Millennium, and gave a tip to Fernando, the maitre d', to share with his team. We specifically mentioned how much we'd enjoyed the sommelier, Liudmyla, in Luminae. Fernando said that she's not part of his team. We found that really interesting. We later tipped her separately to make sure she knew how much we appreciated her outstanding service. But did anyone else know that the sommelier in Luminae was not part of the restaurant staff? I had no idea. 

Edited by Sigyn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sigyn said:

Interesting - we just got off the Millennium, and gave a tip to Fernando, the maitre d', to share with his team. We specifically mentioned how much we'd enjoyed the sommelier, Liudmyla, in Luminae. Fernando said that she's not part of his team. We found that really interesting. We later tipped her separately to make sure she knew how much we appreciated her outstanding service. But did anyone else know that the sommelier in Luminae was not part of the restaurant staff? I had no idea. 

Is it possible she was also the sommelier for Tuscan (directly below Luminae) & therefore part of their team?  She has to be under some restaurant manager I would think.

1 minute ago, mitz18 said:

Is it possible she was also the sommelier for Tuscan (directly below Luminae) & therefore part of their team?  She has to be under some restaurant manager I would think.

I'm not sure - she was in Luminae every single time we were there, whether for lunch or dinner, and was there for the entire meal. I can't imagine she was doing dual duty at another restaurant. But of course it's possible. 

We found Liudmyla to be fabulous. She said she's taking a break in August, then she'll be back for the new Ascent in November. It's tempting to do a cruise just to experience her amazing service and charming personality again. 

The sommeliers are bar staff. That's how it works for most shoreside somms as well. They are tipped on their bar and wine sales.

Not directly relevant to this thread, but in some higher end restaurants, if you order a cocktail or a glass of wine from your waiter, it's their tab. If you ask for a sommelier (we always do) your drink service now goes through the sommelier. Their share of the tip is based on the percentage of bar sales on your check.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Sommeliers are not part of the dining staff in any of the restaurants or MDR.  As such they do not get part of any extra gratuities given to the dining room staff.  We always tip them separately.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Sigyn said:

We found Liudmyla to be fabulous. She said she's taking a break in August, then she'll be back for the new Ascent in November. It's tempting to do a cruise just to experience her amazing service and charming personality again. 

Thank you for starting this thread...it's good to know what's what. Fortunately, I've always had great service from the sommelier (on all my cruises btw) and always tipped them accordingly...

• Like 3

As said above, the sommeliers are bar staff. I avoid purchasing any wine/liquor tasting events or the like until I get on board so I can buy it from the sommelier. They seem to get more of the added gratuities that way.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Sommeliers have always been part of the Bar Staff and not part of the tipping pool of the Luminae dining room.     They also do not have to share their tips with the Dining Room Pool.

We always tip separately.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Sigyn said:

But did anyone else know that the sommelier in Luminae was not part of the restaurant staff? I had no idea. 

Yes, The sommelier's are part of the bar staff as others said and do not share in normal tip pool. They report to the Cellar Master, who also normally leads the wine tastings they have on the ship,.  On Millennium in May, Richard was the Cellar Master and Ivana was our Sommelier in Luminae both were outstanding. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mahasamatman said:

We always tip everyone in Luminae individually (even the ones who haven't worked with us). It's more personal than contributing to a pool.

Though in the end, it's the same as contributing to a pool.

• Like 2

On 7/17/2023 at 10:44 AM, mahasamatman said:

We always tip everyone in Luminae individually (even the ones who haven't worked with us). It's more personal than contributing to a pool.

Everyone?  How do you do that logistically?

On E class ships that is probably 30 +/-. 

I don't have the desire to walk over and tip extra to everyone in Luminae. I wrote up personal notes about those on the ship (including our waiter in Luminae) who made a difference and turned that into customer service, because I believe that should help them out in their career. I provided the tip to Fernando for the pool, and then tipped the sommelier separately. 

Edited by Sigyn
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Sigyn said:

I don't have the desire to walk over and tip extra to everyone in Luminae. I wrote up personal notes about those on the ship (including our waiter in Luminae) who made a difference and turned that into customer service, because I believe that should help them out in their career. I provided the tip to Fernando for the pool, and then tipped the sommelier separately. 

mando-way-this-is-the-way.gif

• Haha 1

We have used envelopes with cash given directly to waitstaff.  Recently we have taken to using the additional gratuities form and tipping Luminae staff, as well individuals.  

I like that Celebrity is also now providing a QR code in the daily planner that allows you to give feedback to the Hotel Director.  We have used it to call out splendid service we have received from various staff members around the ship, and not just our stateroom attendant or dining room waitstaff.  Positive comments to leadership always is appreciated when warranted.

• Like 1