Name/Luggage Tags

1 minute ago, shaycamp21 said:

We live in Canada and lately my Amazon orders have been unreliable-- things I have purchased with one day shipping on Prime Day still have yet to arrive. I have a laminator and film so figured if it's allowed I'd just laminate them.

Sure, no problem using your laminator.  But like the space programs......................you can just use a couple  of pieces of packing tape.  😄 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lady Hudson said:

Someone posted a bit ago that there is a way to input name on luggage tags before printing. Think I can remember where I saw that?  No.  Anyone here who can help me out — either pointing me to the right post or give directions for printing name?  Thank you.

Here you go...you just have to download the document that RC sent and note the page # that the luggage tag is on and input that info into the this tool.

PDFLuggageTagTool_2-4.exe

19 minutes ago, shaycamp21 said:

Is it ok to laminate the luggage lags? 

When do you plan on putting the luggage tags on your luggage? I put ours on at the pre cruise hotel prior to leaving for the embarkation port. I do use luggage tags sleeves from Amazon (no tape or staples required) but when I didn't use them I never sealed the luggage tags. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2

I kind of think, if you have to ask, than most likely you don't have the right software to do this with.  Now, I have all the software that I can do this with, but I still just take a thin marker, and print my name on it.  Why?  It is easier that bothering with editing the sheet, with software.  Sometimes, old school is easier and faster than all the fancy stuff.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

When do you plan on putting the luggage tags on your luggage? I put ours on at the pre cruise hotel prior to leaving for the embarkation port. I do use luggage tags sleeves from Amazon (no tape or staples required) but when I didn't use them I never sealed the luggage tags. 

We are cruising out of Singapore and will be there 5 nights pre-cruise so I would just put them on the morning of embarkation using a ziptie.

Edited by shaycamp21
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, crzndeb said:

I just like to practice writing with a pen, whether it’s needed or not. After pretty much typing everything nowadays, I’ve noticed my handwriting has gotten a little rusty. 😉

Same here, then Penmanship isn't even taught in any of my Grand Daughters Schools. A dying Art...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, davekathy said:

Used on my Cruises for over a Decade and never lost one. My Original Set back then was bought on Cruise Critic

3 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

This reminds me of the old old old joke. 

"When NASA first started sending up astronauts, they quickly discovered that ballpoint pens would not work in zero gravity. To combat the problem, NASA scientists spent a decade and $12 billion to develop a pen that writes in zero gravity, upside down, underwater, on almost any surface, and at temperatures ranging from below freezing to 300 degrees Celsius.

The Russians used a pencil."

KISS - I write it in myself.

Cute story, but patently false 

4 hours ago, eggnoodle said:

Here you go...you just have to download the document that RC sent and note the page # that the luggage tag is on and input that info into the this tool.

PDFLuggageTagTool_2-4.exe 10.35 MB · 13 downloads

I use a similar program.  Someone posted it about 10 years ago, and I've been using it ever since.  I simply download and save the cruise documents.  Open the program and it asks for the page of the saved cruise document the luggage tag is on (usually 19 or 20).  I input the info into the program and it saves 4 luggage tags to a page.  Then I insert then in to a plastic luggage tag holder. 

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Can you laminate? Sure, but why?

Packing tape is much simpler.

Not for me lol. I am a teacher and laminate everything --I foresee more mishaps with packing tape--maybe I just don't have the best eye-hand coordination lol but I have made a mess with trying to get tape on straight. With laminating I just turn on my laminator, slip the paper in the film and whiz it through easy-peasy, then just hole punch and zip tie on.

12 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

I use a similar program.  Someone posted it about 10 years ago, and I've been using it ever since.  I simply download and save the cruise documents.  Open the program and it asks for the page of the saved cruise document the luggage tag is on (usually 19 or 20).  I input the info into the program and it saves 4 luggage tags to a page.  Then I insert then in to a plastic luggage tag holder. 

that's exactly the process I use every time. takes about 5 mins. 

7 minutes ago, shaycamp21 said:

Not for me lol. I am a teacher and laminate everything --I foresee more mishaps with packing tape--maybe I just don't have the best eye-hand coordination lol but I have made a mess with trying to get tape on straight. With laminating I just turn on my laminator, slip the paper in the film and whiz it through easy-peasy, then just hole punch and zip tie on.

My point simply is that tags are disposable. Once you get your luggage on board, those tags are trash

10 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

My point simply is that tags are disposable. Once you get your luggage on board, those tags are trash

I am aware (wasn’t planning on keeping them as souvenirs lol) I was just planning on tossing them after— I accidentally ordered the wrong size laminating film years ago which really isn’t useful for much but it does work for luggage tags so at least it serves a purpose. 

18 hours ago, toxicfairy said:

I only put one ON each bag BUT I put one INSIDE bag also.

Early on our cruising life, we could not find our bag on disembarkation.  Finally found it in the odd section of no tagged bags.  The one tag I had on it  had apparently been torn off.  We have often found other pax tags in the hallway early on that day. 

I just feel better having a second tag on it, in case one is torn off.  Would prefer not to have to scramble around, and then have to open it to prove it is mine.  

But that's just me.  

Edited by island lady

19 hours ago, jean87510 said:

This is new to me.  I have never written my name on my luggage tag.  Was under the impression the room # was sufficient.

If you look at your tag, you will see a blank space that shows "name".   Not actually necessary to print the name, and I only print my last name, but I do it anyway.  

18 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

We get compliments from the porters when we use them, and have used them for years.  Two on each bag, one on side, one on top.   I use zip ties, which seem to be stronger than the ties the kit gives you.

Plus it is nice to reuse them for each trip, and to slip in our disembarkation tags.  

13 minutes ago, island lady said:

If you look at your tag, you will see a blank space that shows "name".   Not actually necessary to print the name, and I only print my last name, but I do it anyway.  

I didn't think so as we never put our names and always get our bags.  But good to know.

I've used photoshop.  I've used an app from here (can't remember if it was the one posted or not). 

I also print in color.  

Neither name nor color, nor even printed luggage tags are necessary.  As people have mentioned, you can have the porters put on handwritten tags. BUT, why crap on someone for what they do?  If they want to print out the tags in color, with their names, in special bedazzled holders, and put five on each bag, let them. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Lady Hudson said:

Someone posted a bit ago that there is a way to input name on luggage tags before printing. Think I can remember where I saw that?  No.  Anyone here who can help me out — either pointing me to the right post or give directions for printing name?  Thank you.

I do a ton of stuff for my daughter's sports team so the easiest software I have to add a name is Silhouette Studio Business edition.