TripAdvisor has almost as many "Terrible" (416) reviews as it does "Excellent" (528) ones for Viking...

meee123

Thanks again for some of the helpful responses to my earlier post. I think a couple out of 20+ are trying to misconstrue what happened, as was the case on the Viking 'help' line (and the same folks too surprisingly on similar feeds). Put simply, I paid $16,000+ for my parents cruise, and they could not go the first time (like so many reviews I've read), because of COVID. Viking said, 'No problem - here's a voucher, use it and they can have the exact cruise next year when vaccination restrictions are lifted, or they can rebook again and get the exact same thing.' The vaccination restrictions weren't lifted by this Summer though (I'm vaxed - they aren't, due to health issues per their doctor), and just for Viking alone - every other major cruise line has lifted the COVID restrictions. Yet they can't rebook as they were told they could do, because those vouchers are worth $0, so the paid for insurance is for $0 in coverage. This was not disclosed by Viking at the point of sale, which is at a minimum, misleading, and at the most, at least fraud. For that reason, as of today, there are almost as many "Terrible" reviews (416) as there are "Excellent" reviews (528) on TripAdvisor for Viking Cruises, as shown on the attached image.  Reading through these, about 25% are due to the same insurance/COVID swindling of thousands of dollars. Other trends though are accidents on the ships (!) and excursions, many skipped ports and bus rides instead for river cruises due to known high/low water or ongoing strikes (which were not disclosed until people arrived though), as well as quality complaints, overcharges and so far, 90% point to customer service - 'if you make six different calls. you'll get six different answers.'  There is also class action lawsuit information there. No guarantees, but it never hurts to file.  All the best!

Viking.jpeg

Edited by meee123

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Redtravel said:

You will find positive and negative comments.  When everything goes right, great reviews.  It’s when things go wrong, what they do matters.

Agree completely. We do our homework before making arrangements or accepting offers. And when things have gone wrong, Viking has always gone above and beyond any of our expectations to make things right.

• Like 3

It seems like lots of complaints about water levels and airfare issues, by just skimming through some of the reviews. And honestly, I've never looked at Trip Advisor for reviews on cruises. I read things here, on the book of faces, and anywhere else I can find information.

Edited by kctwinmommy

Complaints about water levels on Viking River Cruises are NOT Viking's fault.  Each year some river water levels rise and fall  due to excessive rain or lack there of...  This is nothing to do with Viking and this impacts every other river cruise line.

These kinds of complaints represent individuals that don't understand the challenges and what you might expect during a river cruise.  These are individuals that have not researched or understood what some of the challenges might be.  It is not Viking's job to warn me about water levels, because from what I understand they go out of their way to provide the best alternatives to overcome the problem.

No one wants to be bussed around a bridge, or stay in a hotel over the ship that they were expecting, but these are some of the unfortunate things that go with travel - luxury or budget.

Weather is weather.  If your flight is cancelled because of a massive snow storm or whatever and you miss your cruise embarkation, that is not the fault of the airline or Viking.  How can river levels be Viking's fault.

As for the voucher thing and Covid... what cruise line ever expected what kind of devastation Covid would bring to the world and the business of cruising.  We personally had 3 cruises - with Viking - canceled because of Covid.  We feel that Viking was outstanding in their voucher offers and their guarantee programs that they offered.

Was every rule of the voucher program to our liking?  No, but you also have to look at the financial risk that Viking had during that period.

We chose voucher when our cruises were canceled and some of our travel companions took cash refund.  To each their own.

As for vaccination requirements, that was and still is what is is...  Viking still require - until October - for all passengers to be vaccinated.  Every business imposed the rules around vaccination for the protection of their guests / customers and their business.

I am not trying to say that you don't have an argument with Viking....  We have had our own arguments with Viking over vouchers and how they can be used.

Most if not all calls to Viking are recorded.  You could ask for them to review the recorded conversation where you were told that they could rebook in a year when vaccination restrictions would be lifted and see if that gets you anywhere.  

• Like 2

The first part of this post is just another retelling of the same story that the OP has previously added into several threads. Amongst other responses to those posts it was pointed out that acting as a travel agent for their parents, without having the background knowledge to do so, was an underlying cause of the problem. As the matter had been so thoroughly discussed I, and indeed the rest of the community, simply ignored this thread when it was originally started back on 18 July.

However, following this thread's reappearance on the board I decided to investigate the screenshot data on which the thread is based, only to discover it does not relate to Viking Ocean at all. 

It is taken from an item on TripAdvisor where a Viking river cruise is listed as number 1 in "Lignan-De-Bordeaux Attractions". 

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g1939161-d10813724-Reviews-Viking_Cruises-Lignan_De_Bordeaux_Gironde_Nouvelle_Aquitaine.html 

See screenshot below.

While the absolute numbers of reviews in each category have naturally increased very slightly since the started on July 18th, they are close enough to make clear that this is where the screenshot data originated.

I feel it is highly deceptive and unhelpful of the OP to paste this screenshot of ratings for a particular river cruise on the Viking Ocean Cruise Critic board, with the implied suggestion that it is accurate data in relation to ocean cruising in general. 

Hopefully the moderators will take note of this and act accordingly.

image.thumb.png.be54d438068dd6cf7c19d2654ca5989b.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

This post reminds me of a conversation I had recently with a brother-in-law.  We visited the Canadian Rockies last year and loved them.  He just got back from there and stated that Banff NP was "very overrated".  Huh??  When questioned he explained that it was so cloudy and foggy and he didn't see a single mountain the entire time he was there---WHAT???  How is that a reflection on the quality of the park?

As posted above, many negative ratings are the result of thinking like my BIL, or folks who simply did not do their homework and expect a river cruise to be like an ocean cruise.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Or vica versa an ocean cruise to be like a river cruise. I was going to put a 😆 on your reply sharkster77 but I thought you might think I was being rude. It would take a lot for me to be enticed into an ocean cruise, but then I tried  short one - weekend - out of Southampton around the Channel Islands and home maybe a bit like the couple that had one child and explained that they tried it once!  Although you quoted one of the most beautiful scenic cruises up the How Sound and back by steam train I’ve ever been privileged to make pity your BIL couldn’t get more out of his experience.

4 hours ago, photopro2 said:

However, following this thread's reappearance on the board I decided to investigate the screenshot data on which the thread is based, only to discover it does not relate to Viking Ocean at all. 

It is taken from an item on TripAdvisor where a Viking river cruise is listed as number 1 in "Lignan-De-Bordeaux Attractions". 

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g1939161-d10813724-Reviews-Viking_Cruises-Lignan_De_Bordeaux_Gironde_Nouvelle_Aquitaine.html 

See screenshot below.

Yep! I noticed that too, as I also went to find where these reviews were on the site. As I commented, I wouldn't even think to look there for reviews, as there's a hundred different Viking cruises. I get it, the OP isn't happy with the results they got, but it seems they just keep rehashing things. We haven't taken our cruise, yet, it's a our first one next year, but we're super excited about it. My parents have taken 3, with their 4th one next week, and they have nothing but positive things to say.

2 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Or vica versa an ocean cruise to be like a river cruise. I was going to put a 😆 on your reply sharkster77 but I thought you might think I was being rude. It would take a lot for me to be enticed into an ocean cruise, but then I tried  short one - weekend - out of Southampton around the Channel Islands and home maybe a bit like the couple that had one child and explained that they tried it once!  Although you quoted one of the most beautiful scenic cruises up the How Sound and back by steam train I’ve ever been privileged to make pity your BIL couldn’t get more out of his experience.

I wouldn't have taken your comment as being rude!  Your thoughts and opinions on these threads are much appreciated.  Same BIL is trying to find a tour to Scotland, but has a list of sights he MUST see, and a list of sites he REFUSES to see. For example, as an engineer, he MUST see the Falkirk Wheel but hates history so much he REFUSES to go to Culloden!!

Trying to convince him that no itinerary is perfect--with his attitude he is best to rent a car and DIY it, but he doesn't want to drive on the left side of one-lane, two-way roads.

Edited by sharkster77

52 minutes ago, kctwinmommy said:

Yep! I noticed that too, as I also went to find where these reviews were on the site. As I commented, I wouldn't even think to look there for reviews, as there's a hundred different Viking cruises. I get it, the OP isn't happy with the results they got, but it seems they just keep rehashing things. We haven't taken our cruise, yet, it's an our first one next year, but we're super excited about it. My parents have taken 3, with their 4th one next week, and they have nothing but positive things to say.

I remember this character - he even accused Cruise Critic of blocking his negative accusations against Viking because there was a Viking ad banner on the page. Didn’t say nice things about those of us who like Viking either.

• Like 2

I see this is a necropost and I have no skin in the Viking game, but most review sites for everything on the internet could remove all their rankings between 0 and 5 and the scores wouldn't change that much.  People either love or hate things, and theyre MUCH more vocal about it when they hate it.

Sharkster77 just tell him the Falkirk Wheel (by the way don’t miss a trip if you get a chance) is real history because of why it was built where it was built and it’s shape is very war like. The Celtic or Bearded Axe.

Basically in the end it’s a good job we all appreciate different things otherwise every river boat would be identical - heaven forfend.

Edited by Canal archive

I remember a poster who viciously bad-mouthed Viking (I think it was Viking) because he couldn't have a shrimp cocktail and a big steak for dinner every night---after all, he was able to have that on an ocean cruise!   Clearly did NOT do his homework.  Complained about other stuff I cannot remember, but the general theme was that he was NOT prepared for river cruising vs. ocean liners.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sharkster77 said:

I remember a poster who viciously bad-mouthed Viking (I think it was Viking) because he couldn't have a shrimp cocktail and a big steak for dinner every night---after all, he was able to have that on an ocean cruise!   Clearly did NOT do his homework.  Complained about other stuff I cannot remember, but the general theme was that he was NOT prepared for river cruising vs. ocean liners.

I mean I could have 7 straight steaks on amawaterways but why would I do that?

I’m a creature of habit but dang. that’s too much of a good thing. 

yes people will complain about anything. 

10 minutes ago, CastleCritic said:

I mean I could have 7 straight steaks on amawaterways but why would I do that?

I’m a creature of habit but dang. that’s too much of a good thing. 

yes people will complain about anything. 

It must have been the shrimp cocktail as you can get steak every night on Viking River. It is part of the standard menu that is available at every dinner seating. 

We were on the first Scenic cruise some years ago when a wonderfully super Australian guy asked for two lamb chops for breakfast and he got them every morning exactly how he wanted them. We noticed this last cruise that they were available every morning on the standard order from the chef menu. I must admit to not seeing anyone order them. My DH had his eggs Benedict by the third day he just had to nod at a waiter.

2 hours ago, Canal archive said:

We were on the first Scenic cruise some years ago when a wonderfully super Australian guy asked for two lamb chops for breakfast and he got them every morning exactly how he wanted them. We noticed this last cruise that they were available every morning on the standard order from the chef menu.

This is considered a Bushman's Breakfast (Australian). I guess sort of like what Americans think is luxury with steak and eggs. And with Scenic being Australian.....

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

Well, just for the fun of it (yes, it is fun for me to read reviews), I did skim a number of the reviews.  I notice this is the Tripadvisor UK site, but nobody knows why Viking cruises is listed under France.  

IMO all of these reviews are genuine, but it does seem many of the travelers do not have a full understanding of the river cruising experience, even if they have sailed with Viking before, and they seem to have unmet expectations. 

Many appeared to be hoping for some kind of ideal cruise experience that would be memorable for all time, and were disappointed that their vision was not achieved. Viking did respond to many of the reviews, both good and bad.

Yes, like the OP, several were upset with vouchers, but that is a complex issue created by Covid that everybody had to deal with everywhere, so my advice is ALWAYS take the refund first (which is what I did for my other cruises and flights.)

Yes, my mother and I had Viking vouchers, and DH and I used ours, but she decided she no longer wished to travel, so we signed her voucher over to my brother in a timely fashion so he could use it.  If you DO accept a voucher, learn and understand the voucher rules!!

Well, my "free" air was not the best, and of course Viking was trying to save money, but I made it on time to my river cruise, and we had a great experience on board (and yes, I checked all the river water levels well in advance of booking!). 

I think the lesson for all is that travel is an adventure, and if everything turns our perfectly, you are very lucky.  But if not, just go with the flow, and make some unique memories. And if you do not like the hotels or the airlines Viking uses, then just make your own independent arrangements (then you can only blame yourself if the choices are not up to your standard.).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LibertyBella said:

I think the lesson for all is that travel is an adventure, and if everything turns our perfectly, you are very lucky.  But if not, just go with the flow, and make some unique memories. And if you do not like the hotels or the airlines Viking uses, then just make your own independent arrangements (then you can only blame yourself if the choices are not up to your standard.).

Over the past 8-10 years I have become a very different traveller from my early days.  In those earlier years I had very high expectations and was terribly impacted and disappointed if every expectation was not only met but in many cases exceeded.

What I have learned and accepted in the more recent years is that there are so many things that can and will impact our travel that are out of our control and that unless you want to be negative and feel the victim all the time you have to as LibertaBella says - "go with the flow".

I think that aside from vouchers and this kind of distraction, some of the biggest lessons that I have learned is that every country does something or everything different from what we do at home and this is Okay!  This is actually why I travel now.  This is the journey of travel.  This is the discovery part of travel.  This is what excites me about travel.

The number of times I have heard the statement "This is not how we do it at home" makes me want to scream.  If you want it how you do it at home, stay home.

We had a friend with us whose dinner experience was ruined because they ordered a Tiramisu and it was not how they got it at their favourite Italian restaurant at home and she talked about her disappointment for days.  It got to the point where we had to ask her to stop talking about it.

Some are just impacted by the slightest things.

Travel is a journey of adventure and new experiences, and in some situations things are not as you expect or want... but you just go with it.

I remember reading a review that absolutely trashed a European hotel because they did not supply a face cloth or wash cloth which is fairly common and perhaps expected in North America, but it is not a standard item in Europe.  I ask, how does a hotel deserve this bad review because they don't supply something that we expect from North America, but is not a common item in Europe?  

First time we came across the missing face cloth, we asked, found that the housekeeping staff did not even know what we were referring to and from that point forward, this is a standard item we pack when we travel.

Go with the flow.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, UDChE89 said:

My mantra is don’t stress out about things I cannot control.

Our first cruise was just after bad water levels....I swore I was going to have a good time even if it killed me. 🙂 We did!