ETIAS

HMSDingy

Interesting discussion going on in the Viking forum.

This discussion has entered a new level of discussion talking about ESS (Exit Entry System) and that it will be on top of the ETIAS?

The ESS will require you to submit your finger prints on arrival to an EU country?

https://travel-europe.europa.eu/ees_en

The ESS system states on the web site that it is not operational right now but does not give any detail as to when it will be operational.

Are these two not redundant?  ESS and ETIAS?

• Thanks 1

Apparently these two - ESS and ETIAS are not redundant as I do more research.

https://travel-europe.europa.eu/key-differences-between-etias-and-ees-2023-06-06_en

Read this link above and it will compare and explain the two.

Both are necessary and the ESS will come into play before ETIAS.  

Am I the only one in Canada that did not know about the ESS?

Question for my fellow Canadians:

If you have NEXUS, your finger prints are on file.  Are our finger prints linked and part of our Canadian Passport biometric data?

If this is the case, and we are a Canadian with NEXUS, we may not have to go through the line and have photos and finger prints taken when ESS comes into operation?

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

Apparently these two - ESS and ETIAS are not redundant as I do more research.

https://travel-europe.europa.eu/key-differences-between-etias-and-ees-2023-06-06_en

Read this link above and it will compare and explain the two.

Both are necessary and the ESS will come into play before ETIAS.  

Am I the only one in Canada that did not know about the ESS?

Question for my fellow Canadians:

If you have NEXUS, your finger prints are on file.  Are our finger prints linked and part of our Canadian Passport biometric data?

If this is the case, and we are a Canadian with NEXUS, we may not have to go through the line and have photos and finger prints taken when ESS comes into operation?

If you trust the government.... no.

Screenshot_20230722-072508_Chrome.jpg

I have been following ETAIS to see when it will start as we might need to apply for it.  In the past few years, they say coming next year, then next year. I wonder if it will be ready for 2024?

Just a note for all of you who keep perpetrating the initial error. The program is EES (Exit Entry System) not ESS. If you google ESS you probably won't find what you are looking for.

And yes, I will admit, I had never heard of EES before this thread.

5 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

Just a note for all of you who keep perpetrating the initial error. The program is EES (Exit Entry System) not ESS. If you google ESS you probably won't find what you are looking for.

And yes, I will admit, I had never heard of EES before this thread.

At the risk of nitpicking, the program's official name is the Entry/Exit System.

For those not familiar with the program, this link provides a good overview:

https://travel-europe.europa.eu/ees_en

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

To my understanding this is no different than the ETIA's Australia has been requiring for years? It was simple, pay online, and they attach a file onto your passport electronically. You never see anything other than a confirmation. The Aussie on the other end sees the information when your passport is entered upon arrival.

ETIA  web site has been saying "it's starting"... for months... One of the useless Cdn news stations stated it was starting in October.... I've been told, "forget about it for now, it's been talked about and plans in the making but they are no where ready to initiate, will be months if not a few years".... So ???????

55 minutes ago, 3Shelaghs said:

ETIA  web site has been saying "it's starting"... for months... One of the useless Cdn news stations stated it was starting in October.... I've been told, "forget about it for now, it's been talked about and plans in the making but they are no where ready to initiate, will be months if not a few years".... So ???????

It has said starting in 2024  for  several months

https://travel-europe.europa.eu/etias_en

Maybe  they are confusing other Countries that have recently changed the  rules   like Egypt & Brazil

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phabric said:

They have been saying it will start for the past few years.  I have been watching since I had cruises planned 2022 and 2923 and now in 2925.

Please report back on how your 2923 and 2925 cruises are.  Not sure I'll be around then, but who knows?  😉

• Haha 7

12 minutes ago, Yowman said:

Please report back on how your 2923 and 2925 cruises are.  Not sure I'll be around then, but who knows?  😉

Using a phone instead of my IPad.  It should have been cruises in 2023 and 2025.  I have been watching when they are going to start ETAIS, it seems they keep extending the date.

The only saving grace for this one - over the recent Egypt situation - is that it will be almost immediate and online and good for 3 years I think....  Won't be a major worry to secure when it does kick in... unless you are on a no fly list.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2023 at 10:45 AM, everbeentoseabilly said:

Yea. It’s on my “ to do” list for summer 2024. One for Europe and one for Great Britain 

UK is not part of the EU any longer, and I have not heard anything about Britian starting up ETIA's (for Canadians). Do you have any links for reference?

• 3 weeks later...