Amsterdam - (proposed) closing cruise ship terminal

13 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Sorry! Its just an over-reaction by some pax.

Of course, Amsterdam (any host city) has the right to choose what it wants to do with visitors. IMO, Amsterdam should re-open the affected waterfront to residents. As we sailed out of Rotterdam, there were new residential buildings occupying the old wharfs.

Rotterdam CRuise Terminal _DSC5731.jpg

Rotterdam CRuise Terminal Euromast_DSC5730.jpg

Rotterdam CRuise Terminal Sail_DSC5733.jpg

Rotterdam CRuise Terminal Sail_DSC5735.jpg

I just wanted to make clear Amsterdam is not closing the port, only moving it outside the center.

Of course I realise passengers (and I also) will miss the nice sailing out and the fact they cannot walk then into the center after the terminal opens in a different location. It is and was a nice terminal in a great location. Indeed the plan in Amsterdam is to build not only a bridge from the north to the south for bicycles  but also partly houses. Unfortunately many buildings along Northsea canal are industrial by tradition. 

As you probably know Rotterdam's heart was totaly bombed during WWII, so rebuilding could be done in a more modern way. Also one of the former mayors stimulated much of the new buildings, like those close to the cruise terminal in Rotterdam. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Roz said:

@Ine, thank you for the information.  Have you heard anything about the terminal the riverboats use?  Is there talk of relocating that terminal also?

No nothing is mentioned (yet) about the river boats.Riverboats use different locations, o.a. east to Centraal Station, sometimes west of this or even the main cruise terminal. 

4 hours ago, Ine said:

No nothing is mentioned (yet) about the river boats.Riverboats use different locations, o.a. east to Centraal Station, sometimes west of this or even the main cruise terminal. 

When I've taken a river cruise out of Amsterdam we've always sailed from the eastern docks.  This was on Uniworld and Tauck. 

• Like 1

We are scheduled on Holland America out of Ijmuiden(Amsterdam) may of 24.... I'm reading that the ban is for city center so I don't think it will affects our cruise but still wonder if they will ad Ijmuiden to the ban? Anybody have some definite answers on whats going on??

Jim & Cathy

Funny how many cruisers kick and scream when it is suggested that they are not trailing rainbows of good things and money whenever they come to call.

Venice dragged its feet for many years before taking any action. During that time, numerous studies were conducted outlining not only the relatively paltry contribution of cruise passengers to the local economy vs. other tourists, and also the effects on the delicate structure of the city -- including damaging the pilings underpinning the city itself (by the ships entering the Giudecca canal). I've read through translations of several of these lengthy tracts myself.

Some articles I've read suggest that Venice is literally being "loved to death."  People drag heavy bags over historic bridges without lifting them up. They perch on steps and lean on delicate stone trim and iron railings. Would you want that to happen to your city?

I can also affirm how very many cruisers come to the Italy forum here and complain about Venice hotels that will not allow one night bookings. So -- someone is doing that, yeah.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Funny how many cruisers kick and scream when it is suggested that they are not trailing rainbows of good things and money whenever they come to call.

Venice dragged its feet for many years before taking any action. During that time, numerous studies were conducted outlining not only the relatively paltry contribution of cruise passengers to the local economy vs. other tourists, and also the effects on the delicate structure of the city -- including damaging the pilings underpinning the city itself (by the ships entering the Giudecca canal). I've read through translations of several of these lengthy tracts myself.

Some articles I've read suggest that Venice is literally being "loved to death."  People drag heavy bags over historic bridges without lifting them up. They perch on steps and lean on delicate stone trim and iron railings. Would you want that to happen to your city?

I can also affirm how very many cruisers come to the Italy forum here and complain about Venice hotels that will not allow one night bookings. So -- someone is doing that, yeah.

Do you have any plans to stop cruising to minimize your environmental impact?

9 hours ago, easternLIers said:

We are scheduled on Holland America out of Ijmuiden(Amsterdam) may of 24.... I'm reading that the ban is for city center so I don't think it will affects our cruise but still wonder if they will ad Ijmuiden to the ban? Anybody have some definite answers on whats going on??

Jim & Cathy

No changes at IJmuiden. Unfortunately  you will need a shuttle by the cruiseline to get into or from Amsterdam, Again Amsterdam is not closing the port, the plan is to move the terminal from the center into the western art of town. 

4 hours ago, Ine said:

No changes at IJmuiden. Unfortunately  you will need a shuttle by the cruiseline to get into or from Amsterdam, Again Amsterdam is not closing the port, the plan is to move the terminal from the center into the western art of town. 

Moving a terminal may not be the same as closing a port but they are closing a TERMINAL, yes?

22 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Moving a terminal may not be the same as closing a port but they are closing a TERMINAL, yes?

They’ve said they are, yes. But politicians say a lot of things that never actually happen. We’ll just have to see whether or not this does happen. But even if it does, it’s years away.

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Yes indeed, but it might take some time. 

We have cruised out of Amsterdam three times.  For every trip we have shown up 3 or 4 days early and stayed in hotels.  We took many trips in the Amsterdam area and have spent a lot of money on the local economy.  If we can't sail out of Amsterdam we will sail out of Rotterdam or Ijmuiden.