Matter of principle

piper

Guess what - if you purchased the Premier package upgrade last year, you are screwed out of several of the current benefits. We purchased the upgrade in Nov 2022 but made our final payment in April 2023. I went to get one of the Premier desserts today (ice cream sundae) and I was told I had the “old” Premier package and the sundaes were not included. I went to the purser’s desk to find out why. Unbeknownst to us, Princess apparently added a few more things to the package, but the cost is the same as what we paid. They will not do anything about it. Does that make any sense at all? We don’t think so and, while it doesn’t ruin the trip, I was looking forward to the sundaes as well as some of the exercise classes. Princess has lost 2 customers based on a matter of principle.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, piper said:

Guess what - if you purchased the Premier package upgrade last year, you are screwed out of several of the current benefits. We purchased the upgrade in Nov 2022 but made our final payment in April 2023. I went to get one of the Premier desserts today (ice cream sundae) and I was told I had the “old” Premier package and the sundaes were not included. I went to the purser’s desk to find out why. Unbeknownst to us, Princess apparently added a few more things to the package, but the cost is the same as what we paid. They will not do anything about it. Does that make any sense at all? We don’t think so and, while it doesn’t ruin the trip, I was looking forward to the sundaes as well as some of the exercise classes. Princess has lost 2 customers based on a matter of principle.

Story doesn't sound right.  Are you saying you paid $80/pp/day for Premier and not getting all benefits?  The "old" Premier did not cost $80/pp/day.  Otherwise, it seems to me you have not kept up with news and changes at Princess.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, piper said:

according to our travel agent, we paid the same price for the upgrade as they are charging now and no, it doesn’t sound or seem right

Sorry, does not sound correct. Princess has even posted on its website if you had the ‘older’ packages and you wanted some of the ‘newer’ amenities like desserts, juices and fitness classes’, you could pay an ‘upgrade’ fee.

Just because you say you paid the same ‘difference’ in package price between plus and premier does not mean you paid for the ‘latest’ version which included the desserts and fitness classes. Do you understand that while the difference between plus and premier might have been $20 in November 2022, the Premier pkg at that time did not include the desserts, juices and fitness classes.

The ship will tell you what version/rate of the premier pkg you booked. Almost certain it was towards the end of last year(December)they announced the new amenities effective for sailings late Feb 2023? 

You say you booked November, which would have been the ‘older’ premier without the new amenities. Princess can verify when the new pkg amenities were released for sale, if you ask. 

If you really feel you are right, get your invoice from your TA and show guest services who should correct the issue.

I think you are focused on you paid $20(the difference) to upgrade from plus to premier but it was the ‘older’ version of premier and if you want the amenities of the current premier pkg, you would have been required to pay another ‘upgrade’ fee. If you paid $80/day per person for premier, then you indeed booked the most current ‘premier’ pkg, but I am betting you did not, since the ship is saying you are not entitled to the ‘newest’ amenities.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I agree with everyone.

You paid to upgrade from Plus to Premier last November under the old package (no classes, sundaes, etc).  I locked in the old price for Plus before February because I didn’t care for all the extras.

The price of both packages (now considered NEW) increased in February.  If you paid a second additional increase to go from the old to the new, then you should have an invoice for $new price x number of days.  At the bottom of your booking invoice you will see how much you paid.  

Technically, if you thought you purchased the NEW Premier, then you would have paid for

…the increase from old plus to old premier 

…then paid again from old premier to new premier.

You could plead your case with the Food and Beverage Officer on board.  Explain that you were mistaken about all the increases and if he/she would allow you to pay the current difference between old and new x number of days left.  

it may not be worth all of this if you are on a short cruise.  Just purchase it for your next cruise.

• Like 3

We paid for plus last year. Our TA upgraded it to Premier last year. So we don’t have exercises classes, desserts, free medallion accessory or reserve seats for production shows. When quoted around $200 each for 2 weeks to upgrade it wasn’t worth it.

id speak with your TA. Your TA saying you paid the same price in November as what the new Premier package is NOW makes no sense

Why would you pay current prices of the package in November? They hadn’t increased the prices then. Did the TA even know what the prices increases would be 🤷‍♀️

Also what does your booking summary say?

• Like 4

We sailed a few weeks ago, booked premier oct/nov '22 and final payment March '23. We were well aware of the changes early '23 and did think about upgrading to the 'new' package but decided the cost of an odd sundae, medallion accessory etc onboard would be cheaper than the upgrade price so didn't bother.

When we were onboard, we didn't like the look of the sundaes so we didn't have any (the cones on top deck were delicious though), bought 1 accessory for $12, knew we weren't going to any classes 😆 We certainly didn't feel hard done by. I think perhaps your agent didn't explain the packages properly to you, new/old/upgrades or maybe they weren't fully aware.

• Like 3

.....and this is the mess Princess has created.

If they decide to add benefits to a package, just add them to everyone regardless of the price they paid. The small amount of people who will 'upgrade' to the new version of the package is so minimal in the profits they are going to make.

It is way too confusing for passengers when signs are posted "Included with Premier package" or "Included with Plus package" and then it really isn't for the 'version' of the package you bought.

The passenger good will lost by all this confusion isn't worth the potential extra profit by getting passengers to 'buy up'.

Now it sounds like next week Princess is going to be adding more 'value' to their packages. Which version? Stop it Princess. If you add value, just add it for all passengers regardless of the price paid at the time it was purchased.

• Like 9

Look at it the other way around. What if you had purchased the cruise you mention and then the fare went up say $100/pp for your cabin. Could Princess come back and ask you to pay more?  Wouldn't you say, "Nope, I booked on your terms and you accepted my payment. A deal is a deal."

It's the same thing. You bought the package on stated terms. Add-ons were not part of the deal.

Happy cruising whichever cruiseline you choose. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

The only changes that were added to the original plus package were the oversized dessert things, fitness classes and juice bar none of which I cared about so I didn’t upgrade. That is a choice to make as to what is important to you. They have honored the $15 drink limit no matter what I originally paid. It looks like booking a year or more out pays off

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

.....and this is the mess Princess has created.

If they decide to add benefits to a package, just add them to everyone regardless of the price they paid. The small amount of people who will 'upgrade' to the new version of the package is so minimal in the profits they are going to make.

It is way too confusing for passengers when signs are posted "Included with Premier package" or "Included with Plus package" and then it really isn't for the 'version' of the package you bought.

The passenger good will lost by all this confusion isn't worth the potential extra profit by getting passengers to 'buy up'.

Now it sounds like next week Princess is going to be adding more 'value' to their packages. Which version? Stop it Princess. If you add value, just add it for all passengers regardless of the price paid at the time it was purchased.

IMO, PCL did "publish" and explain what the policy was the transition to new packages.  Unfortunately, two factors at play:  (1) Many cruise guests are not well-informed nor research what they have bought; (2) Many TA's are also not going to be experts in all PCL policy working with many lines, etc, and just pass on misinformation - or their client doesn't "get it".  

I do agree that it will be important to see what versions of the packages the changes apply to because not everyone who purchased the prior versions will have sailed by now.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, piper said:

Actually you paid before the price increase.  The additional items were added as part of the price increase.

Want the extra items pay the increased price.

That was communicated when the price was increased and the items added. Apparently your TA did not understand that.

Apparently we didn’t understand it because we were NEVER informed by Princess of any change nor was our TA. We have all searched our emails and no one received the notification. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, piper said:

Apparently we didn’t understand it because we were NEVER informed by Princess of any change nor was our TA. We have all searched our emails and no one received the notification. 

And you didn't see any discussion threads on this forum about it?  Asking because you do belong to CC obviously.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, memoak said:

The only changes that were added to the original plus package were the oversized dessert things, fitness classes and juice bar none of which I cared about so I didn’t upgrade. That is a choice to make as to what is important to you. They have honored the $15 drink limit no matter what I originally paid. It looks like booking a year or more out pays off

We are booked on a B2B2B this fall.14 days, 4 days, and 14 days. All were booked with the "old" Plus-50 (as they list in in the personalizer). At one point I checked pricing and, while the first leg was heavily booked and now more expensive, the second and third legs were significantly cheaper. Of course, rebooking them meant I had to get the "new" Plus fare which was higher. Not a problem as I ended up with an additional $650AUD in OBC and also saved US $1,135.86 in fares. Having to pay the extra bit for the upgraded Plus turned out just fine. Of course we won't use the fitness classes nor will we partake of the "phabulous" desserts. We may well try the juice bar as it's likely a healthy addition. With one leg at the "old" Plus and two legs at the "new" Plus fare the drink limit of $22AUD will be the same.

Ignorance is bliss.  Seems like everyone else is in the loop except for you.  It's worth double checking the details of your trip before you leave.  The Internet is a wonderful thing, so long as it's used for the right purposes.  Doesn't take much effort to do a little research online before you leave.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1