Australia cruise planning

Don't forget about the time difference when booking your flights to Australia.  Whatever day of the week you leave the US, you get to Australia two calendar days later.  So make sure you have a day or two to recover from the jet lag.

• Like 1

Im UK based but yes I agree we will need a few days either side of the cruise to recover. The longest flight I've done before is about 10 hours so goodness know how I'll feel after 20+ hours flying lol.

On 7/24/2023 at 3:51 PM, arxcards said:

One fine day in Noumea in late 2007, I stood on the deck of the more recent Sun Princess and took photos of an older ship berthed at the main cruise terminal. Nobody knew what ship it was, as it had been recently named New Flamenco and was being used for worker accommodation. Turns out that while on Sun Princess, I was taking photos of the original Sun Princess (Spirit of London). The Captain had no idea, but he wasn't a very good one and only had a short life on cruise ships.

Boy, ships have sure changed a lot, and visible through the 3 versions of Sun Princess. MK III is ten times the size of MK I

It must have really interesting to compare the 2 ships so close together. The old Sun princess certainly had a long and interesting life.

Someone sent me a photo of her a few years ago looking very sorry for herself and listing badly , then a few months later she capsized and was being cut up by the locals.

In her hay day she looked so modern and sleek.

Happy times in BC / Mexico  could still safely walk around Acapulco then , or was I just young dumb and unaware lol. 

• Like 2

On 7/21/2023 at 11:23 AM, OzKiwiJJ said:

I live in Sydney so no flights required for that cruise, and we booked the cruise last year six days before it departed while we were on Coral on another cruise. We went home for three days then reboarded. 😊 However we usually book directly through Princess for our cruises. As far as flights go we shop around on the rare occasion we need to - if Princess or another cruise line has better deals we book through the cruise line otherwise we choose whatever fits our budget at the time.

Princess is our favourite cruise line but their newer ships are too big for us and even some of the older Grand class ships are too big as they added an extra deck of cabins.to four of them without adding any extra public space.  

Thanks for all your help we have now booked on Crown Princess 19th March 2025. I was surprised that Princess still require a Covid test before boarding . Is it easy to get a test in Sydney? As a quick look shows that many test stations are closing .

However I'm hoping as the test isn't required by Australian law Princess may drop this test as they have in other parts of the world .

2 hours ago, rsl1958 said:

Thanks for all your help we have now booked on Crown Princess 19th March 2025. I was surprised that Princess still require a Covid test before boarding . Is it easy to get a test in Sydney? As a quick look shows that many test stations are closing .

However I'm hoping as the test isn't required by Australian law Princess may drop this test as they have in other parts of the world .

At this time, it is a requirement to have a self administered RAT (Rapid Antigen Test) within the 24 hours prior to boarding. All that is required is a photo of the test taken with the time and date and ID.

But by March 2025, it is most likely it won't be needed. The cruise companies have worked with state and federal government for Covid protocals as presently required.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rsl1958 said:

Bring your tests with you and do it in your hotel before boarding.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

At this time, it is a requirement to have a self administered RAT (Rapid Antigen Test) within the 24 hours prior to boarding. All that is required is a photo of the test taken with the time and date and ID.

But by March 2025, it is most likely it won't be needed. The cruise companies have worked with state and federal government for Covid protocals as presently required.

Thank you , that sounds easy enough 

1 hour ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Bring your tests with you and do it in your hotel before boarding.

Thank you , that’s a good idea and will save us wondering around trying to buy a test kit. Thank you all for taking the time to reply 

18 hours ago, rsl1958 said:

I’ll see you on board! I have booked that cruise Brisbane to Brisbane. There’s a roll call for it here if you’re interested 

• Like 2

Glad you found a cruise which suits you. It's too early to book your flights yet. but don't forget that coming to Australia from the US, you cross the international date line, so you lose a whole day.  So to arrive on 18th (the day before embarkation on 19th), you need a flight which leaves on 16th. Of course, going home, you gain that lost day back.

Personally, I'd try to come a day or two earlier than that, get over the worst of the jet lag and tiredness from the long flight, and do some sightseeing around Sydney.

International flights are very expensive at the moment, but seem to be trending downwards.   I'd start looking at prices about six months out from the cruise. You can track  flight prices using Skyscanner or Google Flights.

Edited by cruiser3775
  • Like 2

Questions regarding tipping and OBC:

1. I understand that Australia isn't a tipping culture but does one still tip folks like the cabin steward and MDR waiters? If so I would like to be prepared and get AUD in advance so as to tip in local currency. (People who expect to use USD no matter where they go annoy me greatly.)

2. We are booked for 63 days starting in late September. The first leg is from 24 days SF to Sydney so will be in USD. After that it is all in AUD. I'm unclear on how OBC will work if purchased. (I do understand that all of my "regular" OBC such as Shareholder and FCD are converted at a 1:1 ratio into AUD. Not happy about it but that's the way it goes.) If I pay for OBC at Customer Services or add it on in advance and use USD how is it converted when on an Australian cruise? I'd prefer not to get hit with a horrid conversion rate on the ship if possible.

Edited by Thrak

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

1. It is not necessary to tip extra in Oz/NZ, but to my shame I do. Generally only about $A20/week/steward. I don't tip in the MDR. If you do tip, I imagine the tipee would be more than happy with US dollars given the exchange rate.

2. I would get some Oz currency (and NZ if necessary), either at home or in Sydney, and use that for all purposes including purchasing OBC onboard. The exchange rate on the ship will be terrible, it will be better almost anywhere else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Thrak said:

1. I understand that Australia isn't a tipping culture but does one still tip folks like the cabin steward and MDR waiters? If so I would like to be prepared and get AUD in advance so as to tip in local currency. (People who expect to use USD no matter where they go annoy me greatly.)

2. We are booked for 63 days starting in late September. The first leg is from 24 days SF to Sydney so will be in USD. After that it is all in AUD. I'm unclear on how OBC will work if purchased. (I do understand that all of my "regular" OBC such as Shareholder and FCD are converted at a 1:1 ratio into AUD. Not happy about it but that's the way it goes.) If I pay for OBC at Customer Services or add it on in advance and use USD how is it converted when on an Australian cruise? I'd prefer not to get hit with a horrid conversion rate on the ship if possible.

I don’t tip on land but do on a cruise, usually steward, waiter if I have had the same one many times, any regular bar tender. But they are happy with pretty much any currency, I was once in a Supermarket and a crew member was struggling to work out what money to use and asked me, he had almost every currency you could think of US$ NZ$ Aus$ Yen Lira Pounds Euro no wonder the poor kid was confused

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

When the cruise departs and returns from an Australian port and the on board currency is AUD, my understanding is that the crew gratuities are automatically added to the price you pay for the cruise, not as an add on extra.   Please don't change our non tipping Australian way by tipping everyone for small services.  If someone has gone out of their way to give repeated good service, like your cabin steward, you might want to leave them something on the last day.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cruiser3775 said:

When the cruise departs and returns from an Australian port and the on board currency is AUD, my understanding is that the crew gratuities are automatically added to the price you pay for the cruise, not as an add on extra.   Please don't change our non tipping Australian way by tipping everyone for small services.  If someone has gone out of their way to give repeated good service, like your cabin steward, you might want to leave them something on the last day.

I'm already being essentially double billed. Booking with the Plus fare $16.50 USD is charged per person per day even though it's already baked into the fare of the Australian cruise. Not real happy about it.

Not messing with the local tipping culture is exactly why I asked regarding the cabin steward, MDR waiters, etc. If it is not customary to add a tip at the end of the cruise I don't want to be one of those stupid Americans upsetting the apple cart. I am thoroughly sick of the tipping in the US.

Gratuities Clause.JPG

• Like 3

Thanks to those who replied. I now have a better handle on things. I will purchase AUD here at home before we leave and, if I need to add OBC (after the first 24 days which are in USD) I will use that currency to avoid issues and confusion. I truly appreciate getting the local insight.

I wish the US didn't have such an idiotic way of handling things. At home, if I buy a pizza online - one that I have to pick up and take home and bake myself - the checkout wants to automagically add a 20% tip. Mind boggling. Fortunately it can be adjusted or removed.  When I was working, as long as I had the time and it didn't interfere with my regular duties, my boss didn't mind if I worked on fellow employee's laptops from time to time. I always turned down offers of "tips" or any sort of "compensation". I told them I was already working and getting paid for my time and it seemed dishonest to accept anything. Probably not typical here but that's the way I see it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Thanks to those who replied. I now have a better handle on things. I will purchase AUD here at home before we leave and, if I need to add OBC (after the first 24 days which are in USD) I will use that currency to avoid issues and confusion. I truly appreciate getting the local insight.

I wish the US didn't have such an idiotic way of handling things. At home, if I buy a pizza online - one that I have to pick up and take home and bake myself - the checkout wants to automagically add a 20% tip. Mind boggling. Fortunately it can be adjusted or removed.  When I was working, as long as I had the time and it didn't interfere with my regular duties, my boss didn't mind if I worked on fellow employee's laptops from time to time. I always turned down offers of "tips" or any sort of "compensation". I told them I was already working and getting paid for my time and it seemed dishonest to accept anything. Probably not typical here but that's the way I see it.

If you have a debit card that doesn't charge foreign transaction fees you might find it cheaper to withdraw the cash once you reach Australia.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

If you have a debit card that doesn't charge foreign transaction fees you might find it cheaper to withdraw the cash once you reach Australia.

And even if your debit card does charge foreign transaction fees, making a one off withdrawal of all the money you need in AUD once you get to Sydney might still work out better.  And, of course, you have enough time now to get at least a credit card from your homeland with no foreign exchange transaction fees.  Just search for one online and apply.  It is by far the best way to pay for things in Australia as an overseas visitor. You can get away with paying for most things here, even quite small things, by credit card. But only if you aren't slugged a forex transaction fee every time.  Just remember that the price you see here is what you pay - no added on local taxes and no tips required. You might get charged a credit card fee, a small amount like 1% or 1.5% for Visa and Mastercard, but that's all.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I'm already being essentially double billed. Booking with the Plus fare $16.50 USD is charged per person per day even though it's already baked into the fare of the Australian cruise. Not real happy about it.

Surely if you're booking through the US site then you will be charged your USD16.50 for gratuities in your Plus fare but it wouldn't be 'baked into' your fare because you're not booking through the Australian site (on which the fares are apparently structured differently and have the gratuities included - for some cruise lines).

If you're living in the US I wouldn't expect you booked through the Australian site. I don't think that fare structure is baked into all regions fares for cruises from here (but I could be mistaken!). Cruise fares are quite different for the same cruise on different regions' websites.

It's not the case that Australians never tip; nothing wrong with leaving a tip (my norm is up to 10%) at the end of a meal in a restaurant if you've been happy with the service. I would also leave something for a cabin steward if I've received really good service or they've gone out of their way to assist me somehow, ditto my waiter if I've had the same one in the dining room for the whole cruise and they've been really helpful (also wine waiter).

26 minutes ago, Thrak said:

if I need to add OBC

If you change your mind and decide to use a credit card as the onboard account payment method, remember to tell them to allow your bank to do the currency conversion, not the cruise line. The cruise line exchange rates are a ripoff.

• Like 2

If you have bought a $AU cruise, you have already paid extras in your fare to compensate for a market where the goods and services are paid in the one price - fare, taxes, grats, the lot are sold as an inclusive price. You have mentioned the double dip, so not much to gain out of making it a triple.

I will round-up a cab fare, but otherwise very rarely tip in Australia. When in the US and other similar cultures, I will tip above minimum to make sure we haven't stiffed anyone. I know plenty of others that plead ignorant and wont leave a tip anywhere.

• Like 1

My credit cards don't charge a foreign transaction fee - I won't have one that does. There is, however, a fee for withdrawing cash on the credit card. I checked on my bank's website and they do charge for ATM use elsewhere. I'm unclear why it wouldn't be good to get AUD in advance. When I check online for a "general" idea of exchange rates my bank seems to be offering a good rate.

21 minutes ago, Thrak said:

When I check online for a "general" idea of exchange rates my bank seems to be offering a good rate

May as well bring it with you then.

At least our currency is easy to identify which bill is which; I get really flustered trying to see what demonination of bill I'm holding when I'm in a country where all the notes are the same colour! Is it just me?