First Last and Last First

startedwithamouse

11 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

See this all the time, why do guests use the Princess name first for ships?  

Princess (name of ship)

Is it listed this way on any documents or advertising brochures from Princess?

Those are the Celebrity migrants.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Musky Ike said:

And Carnival, Holland America, Viking etc. Now that I think about it, Princess is sort of an exception.

And it can be a pain if you are browsing ships on certain websites and the list is alphabetical and not by cruise line name first. 

OTOH, Princess X reads like a name or title and X Princess reads like a description of the ship or an image of an experience.

Edited by Steelers36

It's because people are too lazy to take note of the proper nomenclature. It always boggles me when they put the name of the ship first. If I want to talk about another cruise line I will use their nomenclature.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

People are used to Royalty and not Princess ships.  When referring to Royalty, "Princess" is a prefix (Princess Diana, Princess Anne, etc.).  When referring to Princess ships, "Princess" is a suffix (Royal Princess, Ruby Princess, etc.).  Most people, with the exception of Princess fans, far more often come across "Princess" used in Royalty.  It rubs off when referring to Princess ships.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

People are used to Royalty and not Princess ships.  When referring to Royalty, "Princess" is a prefix (Princess Diana, Princess Anne, etc.).  When referring to Princess ships, "Princess" is a suffix (Royal Princess, Ruby Princess, etc.).  Most people, with the exception of Princess fans, far more often come across "Princess" used in Royalty.  It rubs off when referring to Princess ships.

This.  Exactly right!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SCX22 said:

Huh?

All ships are always named (cruise line) (name of ship).  That I have ever seen.  Except for Princess.

5 minutes ago, deltahog said:

Huh?

All ships are always named (cruise line) (name of ship).  That I have ever seen.  Except for Princess.

That's why I specifically stated "Princess ships" in my reply.  It's what Princess Cruises wants and that's how they trademarked the names of their ships.  Can't speak to the reasoning why.  Maybe some one will chime in with the reasoning.

I will contend that the earliest ships in Princess Cruises fleet had "Princess" as a prefix in their names (Princess Patricia, Princess Italia, Princess Carla).  I'm hypothesizing, but I'm guessing in the 1960's, when Princess Cruises first started, having a monarchy was still widely accepted and monarchs had wider influence; some monarch probably approached Princess Cruises to change the names of their fleet to avoid confusion with a monarchial title.

1 hour ago, SCX22 said:

When referring to Princess ships, "Princess" is a suffix (Royal Princess, Ruby Princess, etc.).

58 minutes ago, voljeep said:

so ___________ Princess is not correct?

Yes, Ruby Princess is correct. I mistyped and it was too late to correct the post. Sorry about that. I obviously meant the opposite. My bad.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Yes, Ruby Princess is correct. I mistyped and it was too late to correct the post. Sorry about that. I obviously meant the opposite. My bad.

no worries - and you did get a 'thanks' and and 'like' 😉

1 hour ago, FTLCruiseGal said:

What about Royal Caribbean? No mention of the cruise line in any of the ship names.

Right.  That's the way it's supposed to be done.

Royal Caribbean IS the cruise line.

"Harmony of the Seas" is the name of the ship.

Royal Caribbean's Harmony of the Seas is the whole thing put together.  Harmony of the Seas Royal Caribbean just sounds....stupid.

4 hours ago, Musky Ike said:

And Carnival, Holland America, Viking etc. Now that I think about it, Princess is sort of an exception.

Also Azamara, Costa, MSC, Norwegian and Seabourn.  Holland America though is an exception similar to Princess.  Unless you consider the 'dam at the end of each ship as being the same, lol.

18 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Also Azamara, Costa, MSC, Norwegian and Seabourn.  Holland America though is an exception similar to Princess.  Unless you consider the 'dam at the end of each ship as being the same, lol.

You are dam right. Not sure why I included HAL, I was thinking Norwegian. 

Edited by Musky Ike

Cruise lines trademark the names of their ships.  The trademark office won't let you trademark something generic.  By adding the name of the cruise line to the name or adding a suffix like "of the Seas", you've tweaked the name enough to be able be issued a trademark.

5 minutes ago, roxievegas said:

reading these posts - I just lost 5 minutes of my life over nothing

who cares what anything is called

Years ago, I remember a couple frantically looking for their ship's check-in at the Port of Miami.  When asked what ship they were on they said, "Liberty."  Both the Carnival Liberty and the Liberty of the Seas were in port.  They were at RCCL's terminal, when in reality they were booked on the Carnival Liberty and dropped at the wrong terminal.  The name of the ship matters.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, roxievegas said:

reading these posts - I just lost 5 minutes of my life over nothing

who cares what anything is called

Centuries of seafaring traditions should be dropped simply because *you* don't see the point of them.

Got it.