Changes to Princess Plus, room service fees, Alfredo's and others. Fee changes. Etc

LMaxwell

7 hours ago, sunviking90 said:

What really irks me is the spin on it as if they have added value to the packages and this is a great thing.

That is what marketing itself is.  Look at the packages prior.  Lots of debate on here whether they are a good value or not, but in the end, most people are buying them, which is what matters to the accounting people at Carnival.  They try to determine what people will view as a convenience, then charge as much as they possibly can for it hoping people just buy it anyway.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Princessfan20 said:

All this justification for some by allowing Princess to gouge its' customers.  Princess has made many changes in policies recently which have taken benefits away that passengers had earned based on their Loyalty Program.  Also it made it so Veterans are not entitled to the Shareholders OBC program.  No other group is excluded from stacking their OBC's on Princess.  Then they come out with all these new upcharges unless you buy a product you do not need.  Princess has also raised its' prices substantially.

It is not even close to going out of business based on the performance of CCL stock.

Agree.  This has nothing to do with the pandemic or the possibility of going out of business.  That has to do with making higher profits on every passenger that boards the ship.  Make everything you can cost a bit more, see how it goes, and if the uptake is still good, do it again in 6 months, and keep doing that.  

I'm pretty shocked that these ongoing price increases, and benefit cuts are being received so well by so many.  I think it's the world we live in now.  The costs of the packages to me are wildly outrageous, as well as an 18% (will be 20% soon I'm sure) gratuity being added to a bartender handing you a bott of water.  

I get it though, they have done their research and I'm sure 80% will do what they currently do, and the other 20% will be filled by new cruisers who didn't know what the good old days were like, and the cycle will continue.

I suspect when we finish out our current bookings, we might be done and looking for new vacation types.  Cruising used to be a good value.  That has changed a lot over the last year. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Thrak said:

JP is the "Baby Ruth floating in the pool" of Princess.

Baby Ruth's don't float. They sink, much like this new incentive program will.

Sorry, I had to add that amonst all the bad news. 

• Haha 1

So, after trying to understand all these post, many of which contradict each other, I continue to be very confused. 

I am booked on several upcoming cruises under the Standard fare.

If I order room service to my cabin, I must pay a $5.00 fee for each delivery, right?

Can I pay the $14.95, one time fee, and use the app to order room service and not have to pay the $5.00 delivery fee?

Edited by whitecap
  • Like 1

I wonder if Princess is going to notify those cruisers who are sailing in the next few weeks that they now do not have any free access to Alfredo’s or any of the additional charges they will encounter? I’m on the first Sky sailing after the changes are implemented, with an ‘old’ Plus package, and I have a feeling that pax are going to make their voices heard onboard once they are denied access to something they believe they have already paid for!

Edited by villauk
  • Like 8

16 hours ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

...and regarding price increase for Plus....

check the math if you are booking in 2024 or 2025

Looking at South American cruises, the Plus per day increased to $70 for 2024.

In 2025, it's $80 / day.

Unless those are typos by Princess.

I doubt it.

Those prices take me 'out' for buying Plus....these new fees / "benefits" don't justify it for me.....

We are booked on a 14 day repo cruise in August of 2025 on the Enchanted from FLL to Brooklyn, got the Plus @ 60 pppd.  Booked it a few weeks ago.

8 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

That was me - I asked that question as I travel with a teen (as 2nd guest) and a 12 year old who has aged out of 50% off kid pricing (under 12). I'm already forced to pay for Plus/Premier for a teen if I want it myself...now we can't go to our favorite venue onboard (Alfredos) without having to pay extra. It's so disappointing.

I don't think they have thought this through all the way.  IMO, not as many kids sail on Princess, so they have not given that scenario their full attention. If it were me, I would call Princess directly and explain the predicament.  Once I get someone on the line who understands (maybe a supervisor), I would ask for a discounted plus package for a child under 12.  I find that businesses are usually accommodating when the ask is a reasonable, logical one and the asker is polite and respectful. Typically, once I get a change, I will ask the supervisor to escalate the issue to make a more permanent change to a policy. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

...and regarding price increase for Plus....

check the math if you are booking in 2024 or 2025

Looking at South American cruises, the Plus per day increased to $70 for 2024.

In 2025, it's $80 / day.

Unless those are typos by Princess.

I doubt it.

Those prices take me 'out' for buying Plus....these new fees / "benefits" don't justify it for me.....

I booked a 2025 9 night cruise to NZ on July 14 and the rate was $60pp.  However, I would not be at all surprised to see that they increased the price.  It seems like the business policy is probably to tout the "increased" benefits now offered in the plus package and follow that up with a price increase.

My guess is that in the next few weeks they will be offering the Plus pkg intermittently at the lower $60pp rate and then gradually move everything over to the higher rates. If anyone is interested in getting the plus package, I think now is the time to lock in the lower $60 pp rate.

***As for the "increased" benefits of the "newly improved" Plus pkg, I think they are negligible- and mostly just P.R. hype.  I think it is funny (ironic) that CEOs think the public is stupid enough to believe their hype.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

You have to be joking.  They are price gouging, moving the goal posts and providing a much poorer product.  This is no different than what the airlines did when they unbundled their services.

As long as customers keep showing up, Princess is genius for adding the new fees.

I'm sure, until this is widely rolled out, there will be lots of people on ships expecting the old rules, and in for a bad surprise.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, villauk said:

I wonder if Princess is going to notify those cruisers who are sailing in the next few weeks that they now do not have any free access to Alfredo’s or any of the additional charges they will encounter? I’m on the first Sky sailing after the changes are implemented, with an ‘old’ Plus package, and I have a feeling that pax are going to make their voices heard onboard once they are denied access to something they believe they have already paid for!

My guess is that the changes will not be enforced by the staff for the next 2-3 months.  They will likely quietly let guests get the old benefits.  That is what happened with us on our recent RC cruise.  We brought four bottles of wine with 2 cabins and three people.  The old policy was two bottles of wine per cabin. They changed it to one.  We brought the four bottles because those are the rules we booked the cruise under.  Nobody said a word to us. I was prepared to argue my case if they did.

The staff that is supposed to be enforcing the rules do not want to have confrontations with guests. On a case by case basis, they will make exceptions.

Edited by JLC0912

35 minutes ago, whitecap said:

So, after trying to understand all these post, many of which contradict each other, I continue to be very confused. 

If I order room service to my cabin, I must pay a $5.00 fee for each delivery, right?

Can I pay the $14.95, one time fee, and use the app to order room service and not have to pay the $5.00 delivery fee?

Yes

there has been some clarification since this first came out to the TAs

The $5 room service fee is only when you order from the phone. 
The $15 ocean now fee covers ordering from the app or TV to your cabin. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

22 pages and I can’t keep up with the posts (4-5 pages a day). More confused with each additional post.  So many unknowns. 

Maybe someone in the know can answer.

1.  If I use the app or tv, will Room Service be free without the package?

2.  Will none of these charges apply to Suites?

3.  Specialty free dining with Premier was a bust.  So were the 2 desserts a day and the exercise classes.  Will Alfredo’s etc bite the dust too?  Not all ships have these extras.  

****4**** When will Elite/Platinum see a % reduction on packages for our WiFi/internet perk?

Princess opened a Pandora’s box with this …not thought through again…news release.  22 pages and increasing and it still is not very clear.

6 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

Yes…$5 per order and also $14.99 to use the app to order drinks & food and $14.99 for a 3 course Alfredo’s Pizzeria meal or à la cart pricing…all of these are for Standard fares.

IMG_6918.jpeg

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, CanadianCruiser21 said:

Yes

there has been some clarification since this first came out to the TAs

The $5 room service fee is only when you order from the phone. 
The $15 ocean now fee covers ordering from the app or TV to your cabin. 

How will this apply to mini-bar change outs?  Will there be a place to order exchanges?  Room Steward new added on job?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Agree.  This has nothing to do with the pandemic or the possibility of going out of business.  That has to do with making higher profits on every passenger that boards the ship.  Make everything you can cost a bit more, see how it goes, and if the uptake is still good, do it again in 6 months, and keep doing that.  

I'm pretty shocked that these ongoing price increases, and benefit cuts are being received so well by so many.  I think it's the world we live in now.  The costs of the packages to me are wildly outrageous, as well as an 18% (will be 20% soon I'm sure) gratuity being added to a bartender handing you a bott of water.  

I get it though, they have done their research and I'm sure 80% will do what they currently do, and the other 20% will be filled by new cruisers who didn't know what the good old days were like, and the cycle will continue.

I suspect when we finish out our current bookings, we might be done and looking for new vacation types.  Cruising used to be a good value.  That has changed a lot over the last year. 

I read an article a while back that discussed how the changing demographics- mainly the large cohort of baby boomers, will put a strain on many of our systems.  The reason stated was that a proportionately larger group of people are going to retire in comparison to the percentage of people of working age.  This will increase demand on many things and increase prices due to the law of supply and demand.  One of the areas the author said will be put under strain is travel.  This large retired group will overwhelm the present travel system with high demand. The increased demand will be paired with a decreased supply of workers available to offer the travel experience.

Supply and demand are simple concepts and the cruise lines are going to take advantage of the situation and maximize their profits.  If they lose your business, they don't care.  I think we need to face the reality that cruising and traveling are not going to be the same as what they have been.  We are getting ready to retire in a few months and I am already trying to figure out how we can still travel and have it be a nice, pleasant experience.  I love cruising because it has been a very pleasant way of traveling and seeing new places.  But, I do not think I will find it that pleasant with all the nickel and diming.  I think there is just going to be a big money grab in the cruise industry.  Also of note is that on our RC cruise, the staff was extremely stressed out by this concerted requirement that they do everything they can do wring out the last possible dime they can from every guest.  It puts them in a bad position because they want to offer a good experience and their employer is putting them at odds with the customer.

Edited by JLC0912
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, cr8tiv1 said:

How will this apply to mini-bar change outs?  Will there be a place to order exchanges?  Room Steward new added on job?

I do not believe that has been addressed yet. Note: im not a TA, I just saw a bunch of screenshots from the presentation Princess gave them. 

is a mini-bar change out considered a room service order?

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, whitecap said:

That is a good question.  If they do it like RC does, the app will work when ordering anywhere EXCEPT in your room.  For room service, there would be a seperate charge.  Princess might, however, be more generous and allow room service also when the guests pay the $14.99 for the app use.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

As long as customers keep showing up, Princess is genius for adding the new fees.

I'm sure, until this is widely rolled out, there will be lots of people on ships expecting the old rules, and in for a bad surprise.

I do agree with your comment about "as long as customers keep showing up".  Like so many situations today, the only way to combat what you believe is unjust or unfair or unmoral, is to take action that "cost" those trying to force others into the situation.  Don't like the high prices a store has started charging, go somewhere else or find another alternative.  If enough people do the same, that store sees a drop in profit and will change back.  Don't just complain about it, then book.  Don't book, don't order room service, don't go to these enhanced dinning venues and when they see that no one is participating, things will change.  I for one, will not pay a room service delivery fee and tip the person delivering.  Let Princess share that $5.00 with the person who delivered.  I had been looking forward to going to the new Irish venue, but I will not if I am charged $14.95 just to walk through the doors.  I can certainly find enough to consume between the buffet and International Cafe and other venues that come with the cruise fare I am paying.

Next up:  Charge to enter the theatre; No more free laundry for Elite; A charge to enter the Elite Lounge.  Loyalty goes both ways and should it become a one way street, then loyalty no longer exist.   Just my two cents!!!

• Like 9

Nothing against Princess specifically; but my new rule is any change that decreases my value on a paid for booking (I have already paid and can't change without penalty) is getting handled at guest services for an equal amount of value. If cruise lines increase fees and reduces services, my optional service charge payments will scale with those changes. Unless or until the cruise lines get the message that's how it's going to be.  I'm pretty good with math, and "I don't have to cook or clean up" is the lowest, most pathetic bar to step over to justify accepting continuing degradation of services for our money. Everyone tries to explain away 'You don't need delivery, just walk to get what you want.' 'You don't need a sit down restaurant inside with options, go to the pool whether blazing hot or raining, and stand in line. It's just as good'.

No. User fees, convenience fees, service fees, etc. all added and modified after something has been paid for is nickel and dime stunts; adding charges to what was included as part of the inclusive vacation is insulting; and I'll stunt them right back in the accounting ledger. 

Edited by LMaxwell
  • Like 12

13 hours ago, cali-croozer said:

Carnival, Royal and NCL have tons of extra charges and, at least I know for Carnival,  less included food options. 

Less included food options on Carnival?   Guy's burgers, Shaq's Big Chicken, Blue Iguana Cantina, the Deli, Pizza Pirate, Guy's Pig n Anchor BBQ, Chibang, Street Eats, Captains Pasta Bar at Cucina del Capitano, Java Blue Cafe take away.   There's a list of 10 free included food options, all available for lunch and 3 available for breakfast.   Carnival has more included food options than any other cruise line sailing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2