Level 4 Travel Advisory for Haiti

20 hours ago, mugtech said:

There are plenty of other reasons to avoid Florida.

Yet people are flocking to move there.  Go figure.  It must be the new Royal Caribbean Terminals in the Port of Miami or in the Port of Canaveral.  Ya think?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 8/5/2023 at 3:40 PM, BirdTravels said:

But,, There have been over 23 mass shootings in Florida this year (2023). Why would anyone ever go there. 

That's funny....I live there.  And yet I am still alive and kicking.  Go figure!  😉

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Yet people are flocking to move there.  Go figure.  It must be the new Royal Caribbean Terminals in the Port of Miami or in the Port of Canaveral.  Ya think?

Yup, PC being 20 minutes away from my house....yeah, kind of a nice draw for us.  😄 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, island lady said:

That's funny....I live there.  And yet I am still alive and kicking.  Go figure!  😉

Yep, avoid most of Broward County, most of Miami-Dade, much of Orlando, and some of Tallahassee and you're fine.  

• Haha 1

On 8/3/2023 at 8:03 AM, island lady said:

LOL...got so used to them all over the place around the Yucatan Penn.....especially around Cancun, that we barely saw them any longer.  And Cancun is another tourist mecca.  

As much as I am tired of Cozumel, I will say that it is a small island which makes it hard for bands of gangs or even lone criminals to make a hasty escape.  The biggest concern I have, or had as I try not to go back, in Coz is being ripped off by the local merchants, which is actually my fault because I let them.  

The many many times we've been to Coz, we've never taken an excursion to the mainland.  But that had nothing to do with crime, well maybe 20% of it was.

On 8/3/2023 at 9:01 AM, island lady said:

Me too...and I miss my sweet little house while I hide from the heat this summer up here in Maine.  But I don't miss the every morning local news coverage of the crime in Orlando nightly.  😮   But the tourists flock there in droves anyway.  😵

Love Maine. Will be there for a couple weeks at the end of August into September. We have a camp on Sebec Lake.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, happyshelly said:

Love Maine. Will be there for a couple weeks at the end of August into September. We have a camp on Sebec Lake.

Beautiful area!   We adore "downeast" Maine, which is everything north of Bar Harbor.  Have just arrived into Maritime Canada for the next month.  Nice to be able to visit up here since Covid restrictions lifted.  🙂 

On 8/7/2023 at 8:19 AM, Poordadof4 said:

Any updates from those who cruised into Labadee last week?

What kind of update do you expect? Ships have been calling at Labadee as usual. There is no reason for them to stop. On another thread a poster posted pictures from this morning. The fearmongers here probably check their horoscopes before getting out of bed in the morning. 

2 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

What kind of update do you expect? Ships have been calling at Labadee as usual. There is no reason for them to stop. On another thread a poster posted pictures from this morning. The fearmongers here probably check their horoscopes before getting out of bed in the morning. 

Maybe something simple like yes we dock or no we were diverted?🙄

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Maybe something simple like yes we dock or no we were diverted?🙄

There is no reason for people to post they were docked because docking is scheduled and continues to happen. None has posted they were diverted because no cruises have been diverted but that seems to make some unhappy because it is either not what they expected or what they want to happen because they think it is unsafe. Despite what they want that Royal continues to call at Labadee without incident and never has had an incident. If the situation ever warrants it Royal will divert. They are not going to dock billion dollar ships and unload thousands of passengers if it is unsafe. 

Edited by Charles4515

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

There is no reason for people to post they were docked because docking is scheduled and continues to happen. None has posted they were diverted because no cruises have been diverted but that seems to make some unhappy because it is either not what they expected or what they want to happen because they think it is unsafe. Despite what they want that Royal continues to call at Labadee without incident and never has had an incident. If the situation ever warrants it Royal will divert. They are not going to dock billion dollar ships and unload thousands of passengers if it is unsafe. 

Great justification for your snarky post.👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Given the recent government warnings and seeing how this thread is actually titled Travel Advisory for Haiti, I felt it was a reasonable question. My family is traveling there at the end of this month and was just curious if those before us and most recently could report if everything seemed normal or could provide any updated information they may have been told on or during their cruise. Very reasonable question I feel. 

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, Poordadof4 said:

Given the recent government warnings and seeing how this thread is actually titled Travel Advisory for Haiti, I felt it was a reasonable question. My family is traveling there at the end of this month and was just curious if those before us and most recently could report if everything seemed normal or could provide any updated information they may have been told on or during their cruise. Very reasonable question I feel. 

It is a very valid concern/question.  I personally don't have a cruise booked to go to Labadee.  However, if I did, I wouldn't hesitate to go if it was just my wife and me, not sure how I'd feel if I had my adult children and my Gkids going along.  But, and I brought this up in another thread on the same subject, at minimum, I'd check my life insurance policy, medical insurance if they cover you abroad and any travel insurance to see if there is a clause about traveling where the U.S. Government has a Travel Advisories telling you to say away.  NOTE:  I haven't checked any of mine because I haven't had the need to. 

8 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Despite what they want that Royal continues to call at Labadee without incident and never has had an incident. If the situation ever warrants it Royal will divert. They are not going to dock billion dollar ships and unload thousands of passengers if it is unsafe. 

Slow your roll...there have been incidents in the Labadee cruise port...just google it or read one of the other multiple threads on this issue that have popped up over the years. 

• Thanks 1

There is no question Haiti is a failed state. When Haiti government recently pleaded for foreign armed intervention to restore order, not a single country in the world would touch the mess except Kenya. Kenya seriously?

On 8/6/2023 at 3:56 PM, island lady said:

I know, right? My Grandparents there for 40yrs and no issues. Then they are not alone: "After decades of rapid population increase, Florida now is the nation’s fastest-growing state"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

I know, right? My Grandparents there for 40yrs and no issues. Then they are not alone: "After decades of rapid population increase, Florida now is the nation’s fastest-growing state"

Yup, I have been in Florida since 1981, Bucky came down from "the northlands" before me in 1978.  Now being retired...we travel more than we are home.  There is no perfect crime free place anywhere in the world....errr...I guess Antarctica may be close.  😉   Hey...we are going there as well in couple of months.  😄 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rolloman said:

Slow your roll...there have been incidents in the Labadee cruise port...just google it or read one of the other multiple threads on this issue that have popped up over the years. 

I googled it and could not find any incidents in Labadee.  Not sure what you are referring to.  Other than a couple bad reviews and a couple hundred great reviews by cruisers I couldn't find anything.

On 8/5/2023 at 3:40 PM, BirdTravels said:

But,, There have been over 23 mass shootings in Florida this year (2023). Why would anyone ever go there. 

"Florida's Crime Rate falls to 50 yr Low"  ...besides where I sit, not in Florida the Crime is over double National average and I feel safe here. Haiti/Labadee, same, never an issue there. Though do miss how was 35yrs ago. Rustic, only couple Buildings, no Amusement Park rides or no locals pushing their wares and best at most about 1/4 the Cruise passengers 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Rob-Bob said:

I googled it and could not find any incidents in Labadee.  Not sure what you are referring to.  Other than a couple bad reviews and a couple hundred great reviews by cruisers I couldn't find anything.

One day a number of years ago some Haitans on a few small boats staged a non violent political protest and held up some signs. Hardly an incident. There was no threat to the ship or passengers. Royal Caribbean simply cancelled the stop. Which proves that Royal Caribbean is not going to take any chances but mostly they did not want passsngers to see a protest.

Edited by Charles4515

11 hours ago, sfaaa said:

There is no question Haiti is a failed state. When Haiti government recently pleaded for foreign armed intervention to restore order, not a single country in the world would touch the mess except Kenya. Kenya seriously?

Haiti has always been a failed state. The main  reason has been foreign intervention. Foreign intervention has happened many times. Why Kenya?  Because of politics. It looks better if Kenya is the proxy. US and UN interventions that happened were disasters.