Question about HA laundry

anne_p

I am new to HA. I was told that you can stuff a laundry bag full of clothes for $30. We didn’t see any indication on our cruise to Alaska on HA of such a deal. Does anyone know how that works?

The laundry bag and slip will be in your cabin.  You can choose by the bag, unlimited or by the piece (very expensive by the piece).

Just circle the option you want and fill the bag, complete your slip and include the parts that go to the laundry and you will be all set.

Hey Anne and welcome to Holland America Line....

There will be a laundry bag in the cabin along with a form.  You fill out the form and toss it along w/your dirty clothes in the laundry bag.  The stateroom attendant will take it away and the clothes will arrive the next day all clean and folded/on hangers.

Along with the laundry bag service, there is also an "unlimited laundry" option.  Send as many bags out as you wish.  That price is something like around $9 or $11 a day per room.   Not sure of the exact price. 

It's a great service.  Enjoy the cruise......

If you roll the dirty clothes, you can fit more. Also, look at your booking and check the price of unlimited laundry. You can include optional pressing and is generally an excellent value.

Edited by POA1
  • Thanks 1

I can only see the 7 day packages right now because that's what we have booked. Laundry (wash, dry and fold) is $59.50. Unlimited pressing is $28. HAL laundry's heavy starch warns the cockles of my heart.

• Haha 2

In Europe it is more expensive - 14 days wash, dry and fold is $147 and pressing is $70

p.s. gotta love the way the laundry special offers are listed just under "Renewal of Vows" and "Romantic Voyage" Package. 😍

• Haha 5

Do you get to choose your washing/drying instructions, and are they good about following those?  I'm thinking I would just want cold/gentle/tumble dry low for everything to make sure that the more delicate items aren't damaged. (I'm also planning to mostly bring clothes that have easier washing instructions instead of items requiring 'line dry/dry flat.')

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

p.s. gotta love the way the laundry special offers are listed just under "Renewal of Vows" and "Romantic Voyage" Package. 😍

Hey HAL knows there is nothing more romantic than freshly laundered clothes, delivered w/a personalized note right to your cabin that did not require the efforts of anyone benefiting from said clean clothes!!

🥰 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, gluttonfp said:

Do you get to choose your washing/drying instructions, and are they good about following those?  I'm thinking I would just want cold/gentle/tumble dry low for everything to make sure that the more delicate items aren't damaged. (I'm also planning to mostly bring clothes that have easier washing instructions instead of items requiring 'line dry/dry flat.')

Yes, they will follow special requests - just pop a note in the bag w/the clothes. You can also request a 2nd bag and have one for "warm" and one for "cold."

Just to clarify, you don't need to select "pressing service" if you do laundry, it's included. Pressing service by itself is for items you're not needing cleaned but rather just want the wrinkles removed. Also, you can specify certain items be hung and others folded.

The laundry team does an excellent job - please remember them at the end of your cruise when you're distributing additional gratuities. 🤗

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, gluttonfp said:

Just to add to the already good comments posted.  Just write in the comments. If there’s only certain items, circle and record it in the comments.  It will all be attended to well.  HAl does laundry very well 🙂 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, dobiemom said:

A flyer with a special bag price will be in your cabin about halfway through your cruise. 

Since when? In all the (many) HAL cruises I have taken, I have never gotten a 'flyer with a special bag price ... about halfway through the cruise'. The 'bag' price is the same every day, starting with the day of embarkation, and ending a couple of days before disembarking. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RuthC said:

Since when? In all the (many) HAL cruises I have taken, I have never gotten a 'flyer with a special bag price ... about halfway through the cruise'. The 'bag' price is the same every day, starting with the day of embarkation, and ending a couple of days before disembarking. 

Sorry, I may be confused with other cruise lines. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dobiemom said:

Sorry, I may be confused with other cruise lines. 

Very possible. I know Oceania has that procedure, and I'm sure they aren't the only ones. 

3 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Very possible. I know Oceania has that procedure, and I'm sure they aren't the only ones. 

they do and since the laundry was closed on our cruise - we had no choice - an outlandish price and just loved (full sarcasm meant) getting our laundry back in a crappy paper bag as opposed to the hangers anc wicker hampers with tissue paper on HAL.

I always said HAL did laundry well but got a new appreciation when it was returned on O.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kazu said:

they do and since the laundry was closed on our cruise - we had no choice - an outlandish price and just loved (full sarcasm meant) getting our laundry back in a crappy paper bag as opposed to the hangers anc wicker hampers with tissue paper on HAL.

I always said HAL did laundry well but got a new appreciation when it was returned on O.

You've got me already heading for a corner in which to curl into the fetal position and shake uncontrollably at the mention of the "crappy paper bag." I'm on Carnival 2 weeks in Sept and understand they use those CPBs 😪- I miss HAL already!!

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

You've got me already heading for a corner in which to curl into the fetal position and shake uncontrollably at the mention of the "crappy paper bag." I'm on Carnival 2 weeks in Sept and understand they use those CPBs 😪- I miss HAL already!!

Sorry.  I was shocked. O is supposed to be a premier cruise line. DD DH’s jaw just dropped. His shirts were wrinkled from being in the bag.  He was an impeccable dresser and NOT happy.  Our deal many years ago was $25.  You can’t get as much in those paper bags as in HAL’s cloth bags.  I just was shocked to see them come back the same way.

HAL’s laundry is superb IMO.  

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, kazu said:

Sorry.  I was shocked. O is supposed to be a premier cruise line. DD DH’s jaw just dropped. His shirts were wrinkled from being in the bag.  He was an impeccable dresser and NOT happy.  Our deal many years ago was $25.  You can’t get as much in those paper bags as in HAL’s cloth bags.  I just was shocked to see them come back the same way.

HAL’s laundry is superb IMO.  

Absolutely agree about level of HALs laundry service. I thought the person was joking when they posted a picture of the CPB (borrowing your term but adjusted to pass Mr Google auto correct), then when they posted another one showing the clean bag delivered, I was saddened. I suppose that's why it's $15/bag (5 for $50) on that line. I'd spend the money for better service if they'd let me.😪

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

We are Platinum on Carnival- which gives us a limited number of free bags depending on length of cruise.  I will say Carnival does not do laundry nearly as well as HAL- be forewarned.

2 hours ago, Banditswife said:

We are Platinum on Carnival- which gives us a limited number of free bags depending on length of cruise.  I will say Carnival does not do laundry nearly as well as HAL- be forewarned.

See, that's my fear. Even though I've been warned, It's likely going to cause me anxiety and I'm likely to still complain to myself and cabinmate for the entire 2 weeks.

Is it bad enough that I should pack more and send out only basics?

2 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

See, that's my fear. Even though I've been warned, It's likely going to cause me anxiety and I'm likely to still complain to myself and cabinmate for the entire 2 weeks.

Is it bad enough that I should pack more and send out only basics?

What Carnival ship have you booked?  Some of the newer ships have a self service laundry on every other deck.  To be honest, I cannot remember if I ever sent anything "good" out.  Tshirts, shorts, jeans & undies are fine, but I don't send dresses or dress blouses.  Just remember, it may come back wadded up in a bag, clean, but not hung on hangers.  In the self service launderette, there will be 2-3 washers/dryers & 1 ironing board/iron. Check to see whether your particular ship has a self serve laundry.

Edited by Banditswife

36 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

What Carnival ship have you booked?  Some of the newer ships have a self service laundry on every other deck.  To be honest, I cannot remember if I ever sent anything "good" out.  Tshirts, shorts, jeans & undies are fine, but I don't send dresses or dress blouses.  Just remember, it may come back wadded up in a bag, clean, but not hung on hangers.  In the self service launderette, there will be 2-3 washers/dryers & 1 ironing board/iron. Check to see whether your particular ship has a self serve laundry.

The Venezia does not have self serve laundry.

I'm not looking to send dresses or anything like that, but getting back a t-shirt all sacred up and too wrinkled to wear would not be ideal - I really don't want look homeless while walking around... Nor do I want my clothes, including undies, shrunk so they don't fit...