What is the Orange Party night?

I was on a 5 night Pacific Northwest coastal cruise on the Noordam in May and on the one dressy night it was announced that it was also going to be the Orange Party night event:  wear orange if you had some,  orange decorations, orange cocktails etc.  I learned that it is a nod to the Dutch royal family: house of Orange I think.  Is this evening included on all HAL cruises?  If so does anyone know what evening it’s held on ie one of the 2 dressy nights on a 7 night cruise?   We have one booked for next year.

1 hour ago, Thetideishigh2021 said:

I was on a 5 night Pacific Northwest coastal cruise on the Noordam in May and on the one dressy night it was announced that it was also going to be the Orange Party night event:  wear orange if you had some,  orange decorations, orange cocktails etc.  I learned that it is a nod to the Dutch royal family: house of Orange I think.  Is this evening included on all HAL cruises?  If so does anyone know what evening it’s held on ie one of the 2 dressy nights on a 7 night cruise?   We have one booked for next year.

It’s normally held every cruise.  I have never seen it on a “dressy” night since they are encouraging dress that does not necessarily go with dressy.  LOL.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, kazu said:

It’s normally held every cruise.  I have never seen it on a “dressy” night since they are encouraging dress that does not necessarily go with dressy.  LOL.

That's been my experience too - never on a dressy night, but I haven't (and wouldn't) ever done a 5-night cruise.  Generally I do 10-11 night itineraries, but did do a 7-night last March and on all of them the Orange Party has been on a smart casual night.  Usually the festivities start around 9:30pm (give or take 15 minutes).

The chocolate surprise is usually on the last dressy night.

Sue/WDW1972

Thanks very much,  it was my first cruise since the pandemic,   A 5 night was probably not the best to start with,  so many changes… no deck side life boat drill,  no mariner’s cocktail or welcome aboard party.   Enjoyed the Orange party by just going with the flow.  Lol

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Agreed! The only thing I had that is orange was a flannel shirt I had brought along for the chilly Norway weather. Definitely not dressy night attire! I didn't wear it to dinner, just threw it on over the black turtleneck I wore to dinner.

I'm just off NS today. Basically, people wear orange. I didn't notice more beyond that. It seemed that people made more of an effort for the Orange Party than the "dressy nights." I wore vintage 1970s evening gown that's gold and orange because it was the only orange nothing I own, but most wore orange dresses, ties, jackets, and trousers. 

If you don't own an orange item of clothing, any orange accessory will suffice.  It isn't the most flattering colour for me, but I planned ahead and found a long chiffon scarf which had orange and white flowers and a tiny sparkly thread running through it and wore that with a  black outfit.  DH wore a peachy coloured shirt (the only item he owns which is closest to orange 🙂).  We knew it wasn't compulsory, but was just an attempt to show respect for our Dutch neighbours. 

We had at least 2 Orange Parties on our April 18 day cruise and then there was Kings Day.

15 hours ago, Sea42 said:

Agreed! The only thing I had that is orange was a flannel shirt I had brought along for the chilly Norway weather. Definitely not dressy night attire! I didn't wear it to dinner, just threw it on over the black turtleneck I wore to dinner.

7 minutes ago, Pickalily, Wilts said:

If you don't own an orange item of clothing, any orange accessory will suffice.  It isn't the most flattering colour for me, but I planned ahead and found a long chiffon scarf which had orange and white flowers and a tiny sparkly thread running through it and wore that with a  black outfit.  DH wore a peachy coloured shirt (the only item he owns which is closest to orange 🙂).  We knew it wasn't compulsory, but was just an attempt to show respect for our Dutch neighbours. 

And there’s always the orange life jackets that could do in a pinch.😁

• Haha 3

Not everyone will wear something orange, it isn't like they turn you away without orange.  I just bought a silk flower that I clipped to my hair.  Hubby wouldn't wear anything orange, no one said a word.  

Edited by Banditswife

I dislike the color orange and do not own any orange clothing, so I will just pass.  I don't remember there being an Orange Party on my last HAL cruise, but it was Christmas week, so either they didn't have it or I was just too busy to notice.

• 8 months later...

Thank you for everyone’s comments. I have two Holland America cruises planned and I was wondering about the Orange Party. I have two orange purses but I don’t wear a bunch of orange. So maybe it is an excuse to buy an orange dress or scarf. 😃 

• Like 1

I hope this helps. Photo #1 is me on a regular night. Photo #2 is me on Orange Party night.

17122398139353.thumb.jpg.66e629b955c8a50365687ae956b1cbb0.jpg

Any given night

17122398138662.thumb.jpg.24782f075ce2583aba64fbc7890bc0ee.jpg

All decked out for the Orange Party

Note the huge difference in my attire. Hours are spent on getting ready for the Orange Party.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6