2024 Cost Comparison - Interesting Results

Roz

It's bugging the living heck out of me that I don't have any major vacation booked in 2024.  I've been doing some research, and put together a spreadsheet to do some cost comparisons.  The prices quoted are for a solo traveler.  For the river cruises, I'm looking at the lowest category of cabin.  

The first two trips are with a non-profit educational travel company.  The first price is the total cost, then # of days, and finally cost per day.  The tours with the non-profit include most, but not all meals, and limited alcohol.  

Art Treasures of Holland by River Barge    $6,499.00     10     $649.90 

Art History in Belgium & Holland (Land)     $6,939.00     14     $495.64 

Uniworld Dutch Delight     $3,999.00     8     $499.88 

Tauck Cruising the Dutch Waterways     $4,790.00     8     $598.75 

Tauck Hidden Waterways of Flanders & Holland     $4,690.00     8     $586.25 

Tauck Rhine Connoisseur     $6,790.00     11     $617.27 

The first things I noticed was the difference between Uniworld and Tauck.  I like both lines, but can't justify paying $100 more per day on Tauck.  Despite the increase in cruise fares, it's looking like river cruising is still competitive when comparing to my other choices.  

What have you discovered when comparing river cruising (or cruising in general) to other forms of travel?

In my experience Tauck is worth at least $100 more per day than Uniworld.  They are a  tour company first and foremost and the quality of their tours definitely beats my Uniworld experiences.  Can’t speak to comparisons to the more moderate-priced lines.

• Like 3

I guess I would like to know who the non-profit/educational companies are. I am familiar with some and some are high end and others are not.

I probably would pay $100 more a day for Tauck. I haven't experienced them but friends who have rank them significantly higher than Uniworld.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Coral said:

I guess I would like to know who the non-profit/educational companies are. I am familiar with some and some are high end and others are not.

They are both Road Scholar trips. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

They are both Road Scholar trips. 

Thanks! Working in HigherEd - this is a company that many of my coworkers use frequently for travel. 

While my friends rave about Road Scholar, I don't get the impression they are high end.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

@Coral, @gnome12 is correct,  they're both Road Scholar trips.  I was surprised at how expensive their trips are, but I've only heard good things about them from friends and acquaintances.  

I don't perceive them as high end but I've never traveled with them. 

27 minutes ago, Roz said:

I don't perceive them as high end but I've never traveled with them. 

Same here. Just surprised they compare price wise with Tauck.

My friends absolutely love Road Scholar.

• Like 1

I retired late last year and was hoping to be able to take advantage of last minute travel deals.  They're just not out there like they were in the past. Used to be you could pick up some bargains out of Florida but no more. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think you also need to look at what is included in each day.  For example...  When we were looking at booking the Douro, we wanted specific dates - with extensions at both ends.  Emerald had a sale on - and we have had great experiences with them in the past. But - the first day on the boat was a sailing day  We were looking at 2 nights in Lisbon at the start - with just an included walking tour as the excursion. Same in Madrid...  Although we would get 3 nights there, the included tour was a walking tour - the rest of the time on our own.  We then looked at AMA.  We get 3 nights in Lisbon, and the things we were looking at visiting (which were an extra cost with Emerald) were included.  In Madrid, it was the same - a trip to Toledo is included.  And there is an excursion every day on the boat.  Our previous experience with AMA was ok - not stellar... but are willing to try them again.  Although the initial cost (and cost per day) is higher with AMA, I am saving money since I don't have to pay for extra excursions. 

Fran

• Like 3

Based on your post about Egypt and how a 7-day cruise is better (than 3 or 4 days) because the sightseeing is spread out more – I now start by looking at Scenic's 11-day itineraries, which provide that extra elbow room compared to the usual 7-day cruises.  I looked at AMA for the Douro, but we booked Scenic because the 11-day round-trip Douro is more relaxed.  [We have already seen Madrid, so didn't care about that, and we are doing Lisbon and all the sights in between Lisbon and Porto on our own pre-cruise.]

That's a point people should consider:  river cruises (and pre- and post-cruise extensions) are so expensive that you can afford to hire a driver between points [e.g. daytrip.com], book a hotel and choose a restaurant for dinner – and have total control over what you see and how long you spend – in the same price ballpark.  It just takes advance planning [thank you, Rick Steves!]

• Like 1

I've done close to 10 Road Scholar tours.  They are not high end, and I'd say solidly mid-level.  Most of their European cruising is done with CroisiEurope.  I enjoy their trips and because they are moderately priced, I stretch my travel dollars.  I appreciate the educational aspect, the fact they don't push shopping (no "here's our next stop, the pearl market, no pressure here!")  I've also found our fellow travelers to be generally very open minded and curious about other cultures.

Looking at those two RS trips, the cruise is on a "boutique" barge, with 24 pax (not Croisi this time.)  Economy of scale says that will be more expensive.  I didn't look at all the other trips, but a quick search of Tauck looks like all their sailings are on larger ships.  

I have heard good things about Tauck, and my husband is itching to do their Australia/New Zealand land trip.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, ljandgb said:

Looking at those two RS trips, the cruise is on a "boutique" barge, with 24 pax (not Croisi this time.)  Economy of scale says that will be more expensive.  I didn't look at all the other trips, but a quick search of Tauck looks like all their sailings are on larger ships.  

That makes a huge difference (barge). That does explain the price.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Based on your post about Egypt and how a 7-day cruise is better (than 3 or 4 days) because the sightseeing is spread out more – I now start by looking at Scenic's 11-day itineraries, which provide that extra elbow room compared to the usual 7-day cruises.  I looked at AMA for the Douro, but we booked Scenic because the 11-day round-trip Douro is more relaxed.  [We have already seen Madrid, so didn't care about that, and we are doing Lisbon and all the sights in between Lisbon and Porto on our own pre-cruise.]

I did look at Scenic...  We have done a few cruises with them so far.  We really want to do both Lisbon & Madrid as we have not been to either city - and the 14 day with Scenic was significantly more than with AMA.  Would have loved the extra time on the boat but that really drove the price up.

I was also pretty rigid in my travel times as this is an anniversary trip for us (45 years) and wanted to be on the boat on our actual anniversary. And am happy this time to not have to do any planning/booking on my own.

Enjoy!!  I am sure your cruise will be amazing..

Fran

20 hours ago, franski said:

Next May.  We fly into Lisbon on May 18th, and will be on the boat on our anniversary - May 26th.

Fran

We are on the Lisbon/Porto AmaWaterways that starts on August 26.   Enjoy your trip and happy anniversary!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/5/2023 at 3:58 PM, Roz said:

It's bugging the living heck out of me that I don't have any major vacation booked in 2024.  I've been doing some research, and put together a spreadsheet to do some cost comparisons.  The prices quoted are for a solo traveler.  For the river cruises, I'm looking at the lowest category of cabin.  

The first two trips are with a non-profit educational travel company.  The first price is the total cost, then # of days, and finally cost per day.  The tours with the non-profit include most, but not all meals, and limited alcohol.  

Art Treasures of Holland by River Barge    $6,499.00     10     $649.90 

Art History in Belgium & Holland (Land)     $6,939.00     14     $495.64 

Uniworld Dutch Delight     $3,999.00     8     $499.88 

Tauck Cruising the Dutch Waterways     $4,790.00     8     $598.75 

Tauck Hidden Waterways of Flanders & Holland     $4,690.00     8     $586.25 

Tauck Rhine Connoisseur     $6,790.00     11     $617.27 

The first things I noticed was the difference between Uniworld and Tauck.  I like both lines, but can't justify paying $100 more per day on Tauck.  Despite the increase in cruise fares, it's looking like river cruising is still competitive when comparing to my other choices.  

What have you discovered when comparing river cruising (or cruising in general) to other forms of travel?

If you want to save money and see the same things, I suggest looking at Gate 1.  The prices are excellent, and the experience is also excellent.  However, not high end.  Here is a link to my review from a recent Gate 1 river cruise:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2942656-gate-1-monarch-governess-may-26-2023-cruise-review-danube-with-budapest-and-prague/#comment-65659378

• Like 1