No more aluminum water bottles. Back to plastic

fstuff1

On 8/7/2023 at 11:43 AM, WestLakeGirl said:

It’s way too soon to come to the conclusion that Celebrity has gone back to plastic fleetwide. Maybe the aluminum ones just weren’t available on your sailing

During our cruise last September aboard Silhouette, the ship ran out of H2O in aluminum bottles at some point and started handing out glass ones. Before the end of the cruise, though, aluminum reappeared.

I agree with @WestLakeGirl; even Miller Brewing (Molson Coors now) seems to be having a problem getting enough aluminum pints for its Lite beer in the Milwaukee, WI, area lately.

cjr

10 minutes ago, CNSfromHI said:

During our cruise last September aboard Silhouette, the ship ran out of H2O in aluminum bottles at some point and started handing out glass ones. Before the end of the cruise, though, aluminum reappeared.

I agree with @WestLakeGirl; even Miller Brewing (Molson Coors now) seems to be having a problem getting enough aluminum pints for its Lite beer in the Milwaukee, WI, area lately.

cjr

There's been an "aluminum shortage" since the pandemic but its still available and cheap (no-name soda case, foil, etc) at Costco or even dollar stores.  Also, unlike plastic, aluminum is infinitely recyclable so it's probably more of a pricing dispute vs an actual material shortage

13 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Also, unlike plastic, aluminum is infinitely recyclable so it's probably more of a pricing dispute vs an actual material shortage

Thank you for that NAG, I didn't know that.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2023 at 11:27 AM, fstuff1 said:

I'm currently on the Summit.
It's back to plastic water bottles fleetwide but the bartender couldnt tell me why.

This started a couple of week ago.

Anyone know why Celebrity switched back to plastic?

Curious - who told you it was happening fleetwide?

I just don't get the problem with aluminum water cans. Do you ever drink pop out of a can? How is it different from a plastic bottle? Ever try to open a glass bottle of Pelegrino? Not easy either. Hard to open a plastic bottle for some of us. If you are on board, just ask for a glass with your can of water. 

14 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

I just don't get the problem with aluminum water cans. Do you ever drink pop out of a can? How is it different from a plastic bottle? Ever try to open a glass bottle of Pelegrino? Not easy either. Hard to open a plastic bottle for some of us. If you are on board, just ask for a glass with your can of water. 

My wife has problems opening plastic bottle tops too, so I usually get the job.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

How about beer out of a can?

I don't like beer. When my husband buys beer it is always bottles but he has been known to drink it out of a can under duress and if no wine is available. I would probably drink wine out of a can if it was my only option.🤪

15 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

I don't like beer. When my husband buys beer it is always bottles but he has been known to drink it out of a can under duress and if no wine is available. I would probably drink wine out of a can if it was my only option.🤪

I drink beer on a hot afternoon for lunch, but prefer local craft beers on tap.

• Like 2

What ever their reason is, I’m happy to see the cans go.

Had a heck of a time opening them, and ended up getting a small cut from a sharp edge of the open can.  Not to mention, they must be very expensive.

plastic is not ideal, but I prefer that option over aluminum cans.

12 hours ago, Bobsgonecoastal said:

What ever their reason is, I’m happy to see the cans go.

Had a heck of a time opening them, and ended up getting a small cut from a sharp edge of the open can.  Not to mention, they must be very expensive.

plastic is not ideal, but I prefer that option over aluminum cans.

Don't get too excited. Hasn't been reported fleetwide. Currently one cruise, one ship, one poster. 

Edited by doghog

On 8/10/2023 at 4:46 PM, ISABELLA said:

Taste was very good.  Alkaline balanced, bottle had BPA free liner. Made in USA. 

we'll try it but still will bring our Figi, plus mini Brita filter pitcher and our  own trvl refillable btls... proper hydration is  key!

• Haha 1