WiFi Calling on board?

Hi All, getting ready to go on our next cruise in approx. 40 days and thinking through what I'll need to get squared away before we leave.  I have a question for everyone regarding WiFi calling.  For the past 10 years, I've always purchased the ship's internet package and then once we depart, switch to airplane mode and WiFi.  From there, I have always been able to make WiFi calls to family/work/dog sitter back home whenever needed. This has been true for the past 10 years.

However, on my last cruise in January, this did not work anymore.  FWIW this was our first cruise on a BIG ship (Oasis) and I did have a new phone since the last cruise (Galaxy S20+5G) and only my 2nd cruise since the Pandemic shutdown. 

So I did the usual settings changeover on my phone like normal and started getting all these error messages that WiFi calling would not work, etc. and I was not going to be able to make or receive phone calls or texts.

I went to the Oasis' tech support station onboard and asked them about it and they looked at me like I was nuts, there was no way I should have ever been able to make WiFi calls?!? 

So how does everyone do this?  I heard about possibly getting What's App or whatever (I don't do social media) so I wanted to query the pros on the message board and ask how everyone is accomplishing this and if anyone has any ideas as to why it doesn't work anymore?  Because I was on a bigger boat? Was it my newer phone? New internet on board since the Pandemic?  I'm curious!

Like I said, I've got 40 days-ish to figure out my plan and if I really can't make calls, fine, but let me know if there's a workaround (a calling app) or some setting in my phone that I missed and I can make this work!  Thank you so much!

30 minutes ago, Den7Cruiser said:

Hi All, getting ready to go on our next cruise in approx. 40 days and thinking through what I'll need to get squared away before we leave.  I have a question for everyone regarding WiFi calling.  For the past 10 years, I've always purchased the ship's internet package and then once we depart, switch to airplane mode and WiFi.  From there, I have always been able to make WiFi calls to family/work/dog sitter back home whenever needed. This has been true for the past 10 years.

However, on my last cruise in January, this did not work anymore.  FWIW this was our first cruise on a BIG ship (Oasis) and I did have a new phone since the last cruise (Galaxy S20+5G) and only my 2nd cruise since the Pandemic shutdown. 

So I did the usual settings changeover on my phone like normal and started getting all these error messages that WiFi calling would not work, etc. and I was not going to be able to make or receive phone calls or texts.

Go into the wifi calling settings on your phone now while you are at home and make sure wifi calling is enabled.  Maybe it didn't get setup correctly on the new phone.  I would then put the phone in airplane mode and see if you can make a call.  If wifi calling works on your home wifi, it should work on the ship.

We have used wifi calling on Oasis with no issues but we have iPhones.

• Like 1

Yeah it was enabled but it didn't matter once I switched to airplane mode and the ship's wifi and it wouldn't work for me...and gave me warning messages that it wouldn't work, either.  

I tested it all long before we ever left Miami. Always do, just in case there are problems, I can still fix it while in 5g range.  

39 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

There was a Samsung S20 update that disabled WiFi calling.  It's been fixed.

I had the same issue.

OP - ^^^ this might be the answer you're looking for ^^^. I've had Motorola Android phones for years and, like you, have never had a problem with WiFi calling.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HappyTexan44 said:

I wonder if Royal doesn't like people using WiFi-Calling

If I had to bet, I'd suggest it's likely an e911 issue rather than Royal.  I know that in one case where it wasn't working on a friend's device it was on mine.  If it were Royal, I would expect it not to work on either.

• Like 1

Use WhatsApp for calling family while on the ship and using their wifi.

Totally different animal than Facetime and your regular phones wifi calling issue.

WhatsApp, FaceTime, and Wi-Fi calling are all communication technologies that rely on the internet to enable voice and video calls. However, they can behave differently based on a variety of factors, which might lead to situations where one works while the others don't. Here are some reasons why WhatsApp might work when FaceTime or Wi-Fi calling does not:

1. Network Restrictions: Some networks, particularly in certain regions or corporate environments, might impose restrictions or blocks on specific communication services. WhatsApp may use different servers or protocols that are not blocked on the particular network you're using, allowing it to work when FaceTime or Wi-Fi calling is restricted.

2. Server Availability: The availability of the servers that handle these communication services can impact their functionality. If the servers for FaceTime or Wi-Fi calling are experiencing issues or downtime, those services might not work, while WhatsApp's servers may be operational at the same time.

3. Firewall Settings: Some networks have firewalls that can affect the functioning of certain communication apps. WhatsApp might be able to bypass these firewalls due to its encryption and tunneling methods, allowing it to establish a connection even when FaceTime or Wi-Fi calling cannot.

4. Encryption and Protocols: WhatsApp uses end-to-end encryption to secure its messages and calls. This encryption might make it more adaptable to different network conditions and more resistant to interference or blocking by network administrators.

5. Compatibility: FaceTime is an Apple-specific technology, designed for use on iOS and macOS devices. If you're using a non-Apple device or a device that's not fully compatible, FaceTime might not work. WhatsApp, on the other hand, is cross-platform and can work on a wider range of devices.

6. Regional Differences: Depending on your geographical location, certain services might be prioritized or deprioritized by internet service providers. This can affect the quality and availability of services like FaceTime and Wi-Fi calling but might not have the same impact on WhatsApp.

7. App Configuration and Settings: The settings and configuration of the apps can also impact their performance. If there's an issue with how FaceTime or Wi-Fi calling is set up on your device, it might lead to connectivity problems that don't affect WhatsApp.

8. Software Updates: Outdated software can lead to compatibility issues. If your device's operating system or the communication apps themselves are not updated, it can cause problems for FaceTime and Wi-Fi calling but not necessarily for WhatsApp if it's better optimized for different software versions.

9. Network Quality: Different communication apps have varying requirements for network quality. WhatsApp might be more tolerant of lower network speeds or congestion compared to FaceTime or Wi-Fi calling, allowing it to function in conditions where the others struggle.

10. Third-party VPNs or Proxies: Some users use VPNs or proxies to access restricted content. These tools can sometimes interfere with certain communication apps but not others, depending on how they're configured.

It's important to note that the reasons for one service working while another doesn't can be highly specific to the situation and network conditions. If you're experiencing consistent issues with FaceTime or Wi-Fi calling, reaching out to your service provider or checking for updates and settings adjustments might help resolve the problem.

Edited by klfrodo

I use WiFi calling a lot on ship.  I will also turn off cellular data and connect to the ship cellular regularly since I find that there are some texts (and voice mails) that will for some reason not come through unless on the ship/shore cellular.  There is no charge to receive texts.  Then I will turn off cellular (i.e. airplane mode) to do replies.

My theory is that if the WiFi drops out when the text/voicemail comes in, it will not try again and you have to be on a cell system to get it.  WiFi drops out a lot in crowded areas like the Promenade at night or in shows.

I have used Wi-Fi calling on the ships (even Oasis) for years and have never had an issue. It sounds like the issue could be with your phone (maybe the update referenced above). As others have stated, be sure Wi-Fi calling is enabled on your phone prior to boarding. Good luck!

15 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

I wonder if Royal doesn't like people using WiFi-Calling, and that is why they reacted like it was a weird idea.  

A clueless staffer on the ship is probably not indicative of what RCI likes/dislikes.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2023 at 1:27 PM, steveru621 said:

There was a Samsung S20 update that disabled WiFi calling.  It's been fixed.

I had the same issue.

Awesome! Thank you Steve! That's exactly what I was hoping to hear!!! After 10 years of wifi calling I was beginning to wonder if I was losing my mind;)

Thanks everyone for your feedback too!  

Glad to hear it shouldn't be an issue on my next cruise, barring any forced system updates lol

• 8 months later...
On 8/12/2023 at 1:22 PM, Den7Cruiser said:

I went to the Oasis' tech support station onboard

I have to say that NEVER EVER has a tech support person on a ship been helpful to us.  Did I say, "NEVER"?  Yes; I did.

On 8/12/2023 at 7:21 PM, klfrodo said:

Use WhatsApp for calling family while on the ship and using their wifi.

We love WhatsApp at times, but both parties must have it active in order for it to work.  When traveling there are many times people must check on family issues at home, call physicians, etc.  WhatsApp might not be an option.  Seems like regular wifi calling would be the best choice, since you must connect to the ship's wifi to use either.

On 8/13/2023 at 6:49 AM, mike123abc said:

I use WiFi calling a lot on ship.  I will also turn off cellular data and connect to the ship cellular regularly since I find that there are some texts (and voice mails) that will for some reason not come through unless on the ship/shore cellular.  There is no charge to receive texts.  Then I will turn off cellular (i.e. airplane mode) to do replies.

My theory is that if the WiFi drops out when the text/voicemail comes in, it will not try again and you have to be on a cell system to get it.  WiFi drops out a lot in crowded areas like the Promenade at night or in shows.

Hello found this while searching Premium wifi. When you do this what brand ship are you on? I have AT&T and an Android. I was told by Celebrity that the Premium package and wifi calling would allow phone calls. I have had issues with text, however, and would love to be able to access those during my working time on the ship .

Any advice or help would be appreciated. Thank you 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, mkblinzler said:

When you do this what brand ship are you on?

All RCI ships have the same set up and performance/functionality should be similar to Celebrity.

Edited by Biker19