updates for Australia cruise ship covid protocols

4 hours ago, Twonomads said:

Does anyone have a clue if Australia will  change their covid protocol for unvaccinated cruisers by November 1st 2023?  

I cannot see anything changing till next year (2024), but the last I read / head they where not going to review the covid protocols till December 2023.

You can come to New Zealand and cruise from Auckland unvaccinated.

7 hours ago, Twonomads said:

Does anyone have a clue if Australia will  change their covid protocol for unvaccinated cruisers by November 1st 2023?  

We have upcoming cruises on Princess (November) and Carnival (December). For both cruises, we have been advised that we need to comply with the current vaxx & covid testing protocols. At this stage, both lines are expecting those protocols to be in place until at least the end of the year.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, arxcards said:

We have upcoming cruises on Princess (November) and Carnival (December). For both cruises, we have been advised that we need to comply with the current vaxx & covid testing protocols. At this stage, both lines are expecting those protocols to be in place until at least the end of the year.

How recent are your boosters supposed to be?

You just need to have the minimum two vaccines. We were on the Grand Princess in March. 

Current Health Protocols for Cruises Visiting Australia, New Zealand & South Pacific Countries

• Vaccinations
    • Guests must have received their final dose of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days before the beginning of the cruise and provide acceptable proof at terminal check-in.
    • Boosters are highly recommended for those eligible at least seven days before cruising.
  • Testing
    • At terminal check-in guests must attest to a negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or rapid antigen) taken before embarkation.
    •  

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/au-cruises/

Edited by icat2000
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, icat2000 said:

You just need to have the minimum two vaccines. We were on the Grand Princess in March. 

Current Health Protocols for Cruises Visiting Australia, New Zealand & South Pacific Countries

• Vaccinations
    • Guests must have received their final dose of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days before the beginning of the cruise and provide acceptable proof at terminal check-in.
    • Boosters are highly recommended for those eligible at least seven days before cruising.
  • Testing
    • At terminal check-in guests must attest to a negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or rapid antigen) taken before embarkation.
    •  

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/au-cruises/

Thank you

I have had 3 shots and haven't bothered with other boosters

There is provision for a percentage of unvaccinated people to board cruise ships. I can't remember how much it is, but it is a very small percentage. You have to apply to the cruise ship company for that particular voyage, and it's "first come, first served".

P&O Australia's site has the following:

"Guests will be considered 'fully vaccinated' if they have completed a primary course (for most vaccines, this is two doses), including a mixed dose schedule, of TGA approved or recognised vaccines."

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

There is provision for a percentage of unvaccinated people to board cruise ships. I can't remember how much it is, but it is a very small percentage. You have to apply to the cruise ship company for that particular voyage, and it's "first come, first served".

If you are over 12 the only way you can get an exemption in Australia, to vaccination, is if you can’t get vaccinated due to medical reasons.  The Australian state government needs to realize that the rest of the world has moved on.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, habitatnal said:

f you are over 12 the only way you can get an exemption in Australia, to vaccination, is if you can’t get vaccinated due to medical reasons

Yes, that's the group of people who can apply for the cruise ship exemption.  I have a friend who fits in this category, and she tried and missed out on booking a cruise because they had already filled the quota.

8 minutes ago, habitatnal said:

If you are over 12 the only way you can get an exemption in Australia, to vaccination, is if you can’t get vaccinated due to medical reasons.  The Australian state government needs to realize that the rest of the world has moved on.

The Australian government and our federated states have never controlled those protocols nor the ship ban that proceeded it, but a committee that is made up mostly of CMO's and epidemiologists and the like. 

They have noted the changes, but they aren't open to any lobbying from the Australian public, so I reckon they will change it only when all of their boxes have been ticked, not before. Whether that happens tomorrow or in 2030, I don't really care. We have taken care of our personal circumstances to continue cruising, so we don't need to point a finger at someone else and tell them how they should be doing their job.

• Like 11

I apologize for being a bit thick but the Australia Government web site it says;

International travellers to Australia

Australia’s borders are open, and there are no Australian Government requirements to:

• give proof of a negative COVID-19 test on arrival to Australia
  • supply proof of COVID-19 vaccination
  • wear a mask, although this is encouraged.

And later:

Cruise travel

Check with your cruise provider for up-to-date travel requirements for your ship and destination.

Vaccination

There is no Australian Government requirement for travellers to be vaccinated on board a cruise vessel. However, we recommend:

• COVID-19 vaccination, as you are at the greatest risk of developing severe illness and long COVID-19 if you are unvaccinated
  • reconsidering your travel on cruises if you are unvaccinated.

Am I looking at old info? A bogus website? Or, are all the testing and vaccination requirements unique to specific cruise lines?

We have a Sydney to Auckland to Sydney cruise booked for Febr and March of 2024, at this point thoroughly confused.  Any help or clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Greg

I made some inquiries and this is a copy of the reply

@@@@@@@@@

Hi Carole

Thanks for your email. You are correct in what you say.

The Australian Government is currently reviewing the protocols.

We have made strong representation for the current protocols to be dropped.

Fingers crossed we will have a sensible resolve very soon.

Regards

Jill Abel GAICD

Chief Executive Officer

Australian Cruise Association

PO Box 1117, Sandy Bay, Tas, 7006

Tel: +61 3 62237334

Mob: +61 419511996

ACA Conference 30 August - 1 September 2022, Wollongong.

The States have control of their borders not the Federal Government so for Sydney, NSW their policy is this:

https://www.nsw.gov.au/covid-19/travel/cruising-rules/cruise-factsheet#:~:text=In NSW%2C cruise operators should,over 12 years of age.

And this came out just a few hours ago so there may be changes in the future but currently this is a quote

"The current situation

Currently, the Federal Government has no vaccination mandates for cruises, but NSW, Western Australia, Victoria and Queensland abide by the Eastern Seaboard Protocols. They were based on advice from the CDNA, which falls under the Federal Department of Health and Aged Care."

though this may change for the upcoming cruise season. You can read the article here:

https://cruisepassenger.com.au/news/federal-government-confirms-cruise-vaccination-review/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Greg, the information you have is correct. There was an article in the travel section of our newspaper re this topic a few weeks ago. It is not the Australian government causing this problem but state bureaucracy. The article also stated cruise lines are as frustrated by this situation as many passengers are. Australians can cruise all over the world but not here, it is madness.

• Thanks 1

So, as of right now a cruise departing from Sydney requires passengers over 12 years old to be vaccinated and have a rapid antigen test prior to boarding. Do I understand this correctly? I understand it may change but these are the rules today.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, gdlamberth said:

So, as of right now a cruise departing from Sydney requires passengers over 12 years old to be vaccinated and have a rapid antigen test prior to boarding. Do I understand this correctly? I understand it may change but these are the rules today.

Yes. That is correct.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gdlamberth said:

+1, correct as of today.

All of our states are using the same guidelines, so that also applies for cruises departing or ending in Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, Adelaide & Fremantle.

National Cabinet links federal & state bodies to discuss issues, including these. They met recently, but the discussion was mostly about housing shortages. If cruise protocols were discussed, nothing was publicly mentioned, so I am figuring it will be the same tomorrow, next week & next month as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Elorac123 said:

I made some inquiries and this is a copy of the reply

@@@@@@@@@

Hi Carole

Thanks for your email. You are correct in what you say.

The Australian Government is currently reviewing the protocols.

We have made strong representation for the current protocols to be dropped.

Fingers crossed we will have a sensible resolve very soon.

Regards

Jill Abel GAICD

Chief Executive Officer

Australian Cruise Association

PO Box 1117, Sandy Bay, Tas, 7006

Tel: +61 3 62237334

Mob: +61 419511996

ACA Conference 30 August - 1 September 2022, Wollongong.

Hi Carole,

As much as I am encouraged by their response, ACA and CLIA have been shaking their tins for over a year now, to no avail. Carnival Australia has more to gain out of these protocols being dropped, yet the multi-billion dollar company hasn't been able to shift the resolve of the state authorities either - yet.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, habitatnal said:

Vaccination against covid is not compulsory in Australia.

The rest of the world is welcome to move wherever it wishes to, including 'on'.

The cruise lines are keen for people to be vaccinated. Why? Because you're much less likely to die on their ships if you contract covid on a cruise than if you are unvaccinated. Pretty simple.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

The cruise lines are keen for people to be vaccinated. Why? Because you're much less likely to die on their ships if you contract covid on a cruise than if you are unvaccinated. Pretty simple.

It also helps protect the crew.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

The Australian state government wants to keep the vaccination requirement not the cruise lines.  Holland America has cruises that are 40 days long with no requirements.  Do you really think that they would offer that cruise with no restrictions but then want to require vaccinations in Australia?  I have heard that the cruise lines are actively campaigning to drop the restrictions in Australia.