Tips on a la carte drinks

Can someone tell me if a tip is automatically included in a drink order on Princess. We will not have a package, but will possibly order a drink or 2 on our cruise. If a drink price is $10 will that be $10 plus an automatic tip added to the cost? TIA. 

1 minute ago, 1965 said:

Can someone tell me if a tip is automatically included in a drink order on Princess. We will not have a package, but will possibly order a drink or 2 on our cruise. If a drink price is $10 will that be $10 plus an automatic tip added to the cost? TIA. 

Yes, you’ll see it has an 18% gratuity added to the price.  Also the specialty coffee/tea drinks have that 18% added to them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, PacnGoNow said:

Yes, you’ll see it has an 18% gratuity added to the price.  Also the specialty coffee/tea drinks have that 18% added to them.

Thank you the quick response. 😊

31 minutes ago, 1965 said:

They don't call it a tip, since it can't be removed.

It's called a Service Charge and it's 18%

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, startedwithamouse said:

They don't call it a tip, since it can't be removed.

It's called a Service Charge and it's 18%

Where does that service charge go? Who gets it? 

2 hours ago, 1965 said:

2 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Not necessarily.

I’m sure you know this, but posting for the benefit of others.

On the Aussie based ships, if they are using AUD onboard, the price you see on the menu is the price you pay.

Edited by Tranquility Base
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 1965 said:

Where does that service charge go? Who gets it? 

Bar staff tip pool.  I don't think we mere guests know anymore whether it is combined in one large pool with the CA dollars, or whether they are administered separately.  Princess always described it as going to the bar staff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

Not necessarily.

I’m sure you know this, but posting for the benefit of others.

On the Aussie based ships, if they are using AUD onboard, the price you see on the menu is the price you pay.

True, but the 18% is baked into those menu prices.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Potstech said:

So if it goes to the bar staff, who are covered under the Automatic Gratuities then someone is being double charged for gratuities. Not surprising these days.

The so-called auto gratuities - now Crew Appreciation - does not cover bar staff.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

I am an American going on an Oz cruise in November.  I understand there is no daily service charge for the ship (the $18 or whatever per day), and no tips on the drinks (the 18%).  I was led to believe the cruise line paid the gratuity on the service staff anyway, and baked it into the price (so the workers still get paid the same).  Is that the case?

2 minutes ago, voljeep said:

so..... how much of my PLUS package goes to bar staff?

IDK. Ask Carnac (oops - he's dead).  Ask the Magic 8-Ball (do they still exist?). 

In one post, I was speculating that if PCL backed out the CA and the 18% from what they claim the beverage package is worth, there'd be no money left for profit. 

• Like 1

According to Princess it does. It covers all food service crew.

My understanding - and it has historically been that way at least - is that food service means MDR, SD, Casual Dining, Buffet.  Not bars and drink locations where 18% is added.  I am not sure where RS fits in since they deliver both food and drink.  I don't use RS, but I think the answer would like in if a RS items gets 18% added.

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

IDK. Ask Carnac (oops - he's dead).  Ask the Magic 8-Ball (do they still exist?). 

In one post, I was speculating that if PCL backed out the CA and the 18% from what they claim the beverage package is worth, there'd be no money left for profit. 

According to Princess it does. It covers all food service crew.

12 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

My understanding - and it has historically been that way at least - is that food service means MDR, SD, Casual Dining, Buffet.  Not bars and drink locations where 18% is added.  I am not sure where RS fits in since they deliver both food and drink.  I don't use RS, but I think the answer would like in if a RS items gets 18% added.

Here is what Princess has to say on the matter.  It does confirm that both the CA and the 18% Service Charges are pooled.  They have not updated anything to address the $15 fee for Ocean Now nor the $5 RS service fee (at least some of that is very likely going into the pool). 

https://www.princess.com/html/global/disclaimers/crew-appreciation/

Key message:

All of the Crew Appreciation and Service Charge payments made by all guests on all ships in our fleet are pooled, net of credit card transaction fees. The pooled funds are distributed throughout the year in the form of compensation, including bonuses, to crewmembers fleetwide who interact directly with guests and/or behind the scenes throughout every cruise, including those in the Bar, Dining, Entertainment, Housekeeping, Guest Services, Galley and Onboard Revenue areas.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, photomikey said:

I am an American going on an Oz cruise in November.  I understand there is no daily service charge for the ship (the $18 or whatever per day), and no tips on the drinks (the 18%).  I was led to believe the cruise line paid the gratuity on the service staff anyway, and baked it into the price (so the workers still get paid the same).  Is that the case?

I believe it depends on where and who booked your cruise. Your travel summary will list if daily service charge applies. My understanding is passengers who booked cruise thru Oz TA(travel agent) the fares have the daily service charges included in the fares. If you booked thru US travel agency, tips/daily service charges  are NOT included in fare and you will be subject to these on your daily folio. If you used a TA, they should be able to confirm , do you know how to see your Travel summary?