Deluxe beverage package

Hello. We have 2 cabins booked for our family on RCL Symphony of the Seas. If my husband purchases the beverage package he can purchase bottles of wine for 40 percent off. Can we drink this together at dinner or only for him if I don’t purchase the package ? 

Just now, fac429 said:

Because we drink a lot, so it's still cheaper.

I drink a lot, too. I still couldn't make the numbers work. The new prices ($80+) is so crazy. Have to average 10-15 a day even on port days just to break even. And my wife is not going to be anywhere near that, though I could do it and probably do. Requiring both guests at that pricing seems ridiculous to me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BNBR said:

With the prices now, no idea why anyone would buy the deluxe. It's crazy!

Because everyone has different values and preferences as to how they choose to spend their money.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, BNBR said:

I recall liquor being $7-$10 per serving.

You are very unlikely to find any alcoholic drinks below $10 (except maybe a shot), even for the special of the day - most are $12 and up.

Edited by Biker19

Just now, Biker19 said:

You are very unlikely to find any alcoholic drinks below $10, even for the special of the day - most are $12 and up.

Ha. Guess that explains the massive increase in package price.  Suite lounge still have complimentary beer and wine?

3 hours ago, Biker19 said:

You are very unlikely to find any alcoholic drinks below $10 (except maybe a shot), even for the special of the day - most are $12 and up.

Yep- which is why it still makes sense for me to get the package on most cruises.  On my cruise on Navigator last year I drank almost exclusively in the Bamboo Room and loved the Bamboo Room Mai Tai- which I believe were $14 a pop.  At those prices it only takes 5-6 to hit the break even point with an $80 package.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BNBR said:

I drink a lot, too. I still couldn't make the numbers work. The new prices ($80+) is so crazy. Have to average 10-15 a day even on port days just to break even. And my wife is not going to be anywhere near that, though I could do it and probably do. Requiring both guests at that pricing seems ridiculous to me. 

Actually... even counting the 18% gratuity, it would be 6.5 drinks per day @ $14/drink. And that's not counting any other beverages such as bottled water, fresh squeezed OJ, and specialty coffees prepared by RCL.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BNBR said:

Great. I'm covered with that then. 🤣

2 nights short of Diamond. I'll survive until the next one.

It’s limited brands of beer, wine. and soda, and only available from 11am to 11pm and only in the suite bar. The best part of it is the suite bar and restaurant are in the same room so you can have a drink or two while you dine.

5 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

It’s limited brands of beer, wine. and soda, and only available from 11am to 11pm and only in the suite bar. The best part of it is the suite bar and restaurant are in the same room so you can have a drink or two while you dine.

This works for me. I'm fine with buying a few drinks a day at other venues as well. It'll be hard for us to spend $1150 on alcohol when most of it is included where we'll be dining and hanging out a bit (room is right next door).  Figure 2 liquor drinks at bars during the day. $21. And just grab beers here and there from lounge as well. Free drinks during dinner every night. Also have 2 open bar beach days. Works out I think. 

Edited by BNBR

Could probably be worth it for me if we didn’t have long port days.  But when the price of the drink package is more than I pad for my actual cruise I find it hard to justify for myself.  Now if we were sailing with my extended family, it would abbe worth it for them.  Really depends.  No right or wrong.

23 hours ago, BNBR said:

Requiring both guests at that pricing seems ridiculous to me. 

I suspect you already know this, but it's about stopping people from "sharing" the package.  

They will allow one person in a room to buy the Deluxe Package while the other buys the Refreshment Package.  

23 hours ago, BNBR said:

Only the fancy drinks being $14. 

Essentially all the cocktails are now $14 + mandatory 18% tax.  

18 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Actually... even counting the 18% gratuity

In terms of dollars, the 18% gratuity is a bit of a wash.  You'll either pay 18% on the package OR on individual drinks, but they'll get you.  One way or the other. 

18 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

And that's not counting any other beverages such as bottled water, fresh squeezed OJ, and specialty coffees prepared by RCL. 

But no one buys the Deluxe Package so they can have water and juice.  

29 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

What you consider crazy is just a drop in the bucket for a lot of people. 

Are you talking financially speaking?  Yeah. That would be me as well. It doesn't mean I like getting ripped off.  Last time I sailed it was $48 (on sale). Now over $80.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I suspect you already know this, but it's about stopping people from "sharing" the package.  

They will allow one person in a room to buy the Deluxe Package while the other buys the Refreshment Package.  

I remember when you didn't have to buy two. It wasn't that long ago. Royal copied Carnival with this policy. I guess it works out overall per the bean counters.

It's only been a year since our last cruise and a lot has changed. Prices sky high on all this stuff now. Unfortunate to see. Cruising was always a good value proposition.  Not sure about that anymore.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

But no one buys the Deluxe Package so they can have water and juice.  

42 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

It still has to be part of the equation. By the time breakfast is over, I’ve already spent $15-$20 or so on NA beverages. 

Right.  A smoothie at Vitality after my workout was part of my equation.

• Like 1