Buyer's Remorse Anyone?

Critically Cruising

As the glow from the raves from "influencers" and TAs starts to fade, is anyone else having some buyer's remorse?

Unfortunately, my upcoming cruise is in the window where I would take a complete bath if I cancelled, so I'm going forward with the trip.  But I'm having more and more feelings that disappointment will be the end result.  The restaurant situation was initially presented as complete choice, then shifted to having limited access to some restaurants.  All-day ala carte dining turns into a buffet, that isn't even open all day.  Restaurants can't handle the guests wanting to dine, with the assumption being that folks can just eat in the buffet.  Included spirits are less than inspiring.  And the shore-side management experience is less than inspiring.  Is this to be an Italian Viking?

In some ways, I wish that I had a cruise that is cancelled.  One where I could take my money and look for a different experience.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Critically Cruising said:

As the glow from the raves from "influencers" and TAs starts to fade, is anyone else having some buyer's remorse?

Unfortunately, my upcoming cruise is in the window where I would take a complete bath if I cancelled, so I'm going forward with the trip.  But I'm having more and more feelings that disappointment will be the end result.  The restaurant situation was initially presented as complete choice, then shifted to having limited access to some restaurants.  All-day ala carte dining turns into a buffet, that isn't even open all day.  Restaurants can't handle the guests wanting to dine, with the assumption being that folks can just eat in the buffet.  Included spirits are less than inspiring.  And the shore-side management experience is less than inspiring.  Is this to be an Italian Viking?

In some ways, I wish that I had a cruise that is cancelled.  One where I could take my money and look for a different experience.

I’m sticking with my answer in post #13!

• Like 1

Buyer's remorse?   Not so much for the October cruise.  That one was decently priced as solo.  December holiday cruise is with husband and it would really prefer a different line that could be had for much less $$.  Glad they are not reading what I am on this site.

Current writings so different than initial reports.   TA used for the holiday cruise is capable of brutal commentary also sent glowing reviews and is not a poster on this site.

Three weeks in is too soon to panic, but I am not happy lowering expectations.  The buffet food sounds promising, but if that is the Explora claim to fame then we're in trouble.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Critically Cruising said:

I don’t think anyone can deny that things have shifted from original release of information to now. Only time will tell how big a deal it is! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Critically Cruising said:

I am very disappointed about the cancellations, shifting from originally marketed “freedom to choose “ with respect to restaurants (this is my biggest disappointment) and inefficiencies in organizing shuttles in ports. Somehow they are not providing the “luxury” experience they have promised.

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

I am very disappointed about the cancellations, shifting from originally marketed “freedom to choose “ with respect to restaurants (this is my biggest disappointment) and inefficiencies in organizing shuttles in ports. Somehow they are not providing the “luxury” experience they have promised.

Ivi

Agreed.  I know there are less than 1000 passengers, but I do feel like the restaurant situation could be troublesome. 

I have a friend on the current Explora 1 cruise and she said there are currently about 400 passengers. She said Sakura, Emporium Marketplace, and Marble & Co Grill were all excellent. She hasn't tried the other restaurants as she has only been on the ship for about 4 days. She hasn't seen any crowds at any of the restaurants, keeping in mind there are only 400 passengers on the current cruise. Most of her previous cruises have been on Crystal Cruise & Oceania Cruises.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have been one of their biggest boosters on these boards and I’m still hopeful as most of the problems we’ve heard about are “software” and not hardware related!

They are getting and will get lots of flack from early passengers and the travel agent community on behalf of their clients for not delivering on what the advance pr and website promises. Complimentary shuttle services to city centres need to be worked on and the stated “Emporium Marketplace is an effortless all-day dining restaurant… allowing guests total flexibility in what they choose to eat, and when” has to become a reality!  That was a HUGE selling point!

I’m not in the hospitality business but there are more than enough seats in the restaurants to comfortably accommodate everyone. They need to figure out their organization - they have VERY experienced F and  B personnel and they can make changes based on what they are seeing. Large  groups of travel agents and influencers arriving at the dining rooms at once on these initial sailings did not help. As time passes, the generally earlier dining North Americans will be balanced out by the later arriving Europeans.

The apparently packed together Med Yacht Club could easily lose the lounge areas to space out the tables.  

Again - all fixable but all requiring some Tincture of Time!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Just now, Caroldoll said:

I don't understand?  Everything for me is the same. There is one buffet, and two restaurants that require reservations, then there are several others that you can just go to?  What am I missing.

No remorse,  but lots of concerns (after reading some recent posts).  We will be aboard on Sept 25, for eighteen days and are thinking about writing a comprehensive review for posting on CC.  We just came off 32 days on the Seabourn Quest, so will have that recent luxury cruise (which was excellent) fresh in our mind for a comparison.  

Hank

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

No remorse,  but lots of concerns (after reading some recent posts).  We will be aboard on Sept 25, for eighteen days and are thinking about writing a comprehensive review for posting on CC.  We just came off 32 days on the Seabourn Quest, so will have that recent luxury cruise (which was excellent) fresh in our mind for a comparison.  

Hank

Hank sounds great.  I will be on on October 3 in quebec so we will be on at the same time. We can compare notes on board and chat. I was om Celebrity in January and have sailed previously on Seabourn. SS. Oceania Azamara and a host of other lines since 1980

Hope we can meet up

I will post reviews as well

All the best

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

Thanks -- we did a very good Encore cruise in May.

I have thought of cancelling our Jan cruise, but the penalty is 45%.

12 hours ago, Waltershipman said:

Hank sounds great.  I will be on on October 3 in quebec so we will be on at the same time. We can compare notes on board and chat. I was om Celebrity in January and have sailed previously on Seabourn. SS. Oceania Azamara and a host of other lines since 1980

Hope we can meet up

I will post reviews as well

All the best

If your Oceania/Azamara cruises were quite recent, expect Explora to fall on same category. Technically speaking they're same standards, whatever Explora's promotional. Whatever else they provide above would to be a plus, and certainly they have some pluses!... But, I strongly believe it won't be anything below par from that. Variety in experiences is the salt of life.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

Thanks -- we did a very good Encore cruise in May.

I have thought of cancelling our Jan cruise, but the penalty is 45%.

We had a great cruise indeed. One of the best cruises I’ve ever taken. Fortunately my 2025 explora booking can be cancelled without penalty

3 hours ago, Nunagoras said:

If your Oceania/Azamara cruises were quite recent, expect Explora to fall on same category. Technically speaking they're same standards, whatever Explora's promotional. Whatever else they provide above would to be a plus, and certainly they have some pluses!... But, I strongly believe it won't be anything below par from that. Variety in experiences is the salt of life.

Lol. I stopped sailing Oceania after 15 cruises. I hated azamara. Once I discovered the luxury lines I did not want to go back to oceania

yet another reason to cancel my explora cruise

the hype was really misleading imo

• Like 1

I really hate 'bait and switch' and I feel that is what Explora Journey is doing.  I have had two itineraries cancelled over the past six months, and both were very specific to our needs.   Now when I read the onboard experiences there seem to be just too many things that need to be fixed.  Fortunately our most recent cancellation allows us to get a refund of our deposit.  Our best cruise experience recently has been Silversea so we will most likely stick with them.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Critically Cruising said:

If anyone has the original Explora brochures, they are fun to read now.  Fun in a masochistic way.  Maybe I'll post them so people can compare and contrast with reality.

Please do!!  Or, can you email them to me?? I’m looking for something specific that I can not find in the current literature. 

Edited by happy cruzin