Jim_Iain - First Non-Celebrity Cruise in 22 year - Ponant vs Celebrity Comparison

Jim_Iain

20 minutes ago, dock said:

Will be following along and looking forward to reading about your observations as we are looking at other lines. 

We have a cruise on Ascent (Retreat) booked in Feb’24 and then Oceania Vista in July’24. 

O cruise for 10 days with equivalent type of stateroom etc worked out cheaper than 7 days on Ascent. We have never done Edge class or Retreat so are looking forward to the cruise but for us it’s time to start looking at other options. 

Thank you for taking the time to post. 

I really interesting to compare an All Suites line to Celebrity.    Our room is not what I would consider a suite and much smaller than the Suites on Celebrity.   I really enjoy Celebrity's CS and above with a separate bedroom.     It can come in handy when someone, not mentioning any names, starts snoring like a Sea Lion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 14

22 minutes ago, JackE said:

Jim, very much looking forward to your report! So curious about Ponant. I really enjoyed your last one(s). We were just on the Edge in the Med sailing from Barcelona to Rome and had a great time. I think the Luminae team was exceptional. 

It is good to hear you enjoyed Edge.   We have not sailed her in about 2 years.  

I'm looking forward to trying some of the new items on their recently released menus.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Orator said:

Be sure to look at Crystal. Have a great cruise!

I have cautiously looked at Crystal.   I had a booking with them when they went belly up and wasn't pleased how difficult they made it to be reimbursed.   KInda left a sour taste in my mind.

I heard from some friends they were on Equinox with you either last week or this week.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jim_Iain said:

Ok -  First up I will post the Itinerary .

image.thumb.png.f421d0d2527b7530b44bb9f3207be426.png

image.thumb.png.eca27e0262eae680a14681d107e7d971.png

Ah you are coming past me. I live next to Lake St Clair and Detroit is a 30 min drive from me.

I think with the French as long as there is a translation you should be ok. I didn't take French at school but some of it I can pick up (I took Spanish)

29 minutes ago, Rocky4 said:

I've really enjoyed you past travels and look forward to this next adventure.  Your posts have always been very objective and full of tips... can't wait to follow along!

Thanks Rocky -   I will try to keep this upbeat and not a Groan and Moan about Celebrity.    I  think there has been way too much of this recently on the Celebrity Board.   

• Like 7

Hi Jim, looking fwd to your review and comparisons.  We are booked on Silhouette in a SS then Edge next February:March for New Zealand/GBR. After that, who knows. Maybe time to start shopping around.  I’ll follow along on both boards. 
Marie

28 minutes ago, Lena11033 said:

Ah you are coming past me. I live next to Lake St Clair and Detroit is a 30 min drive from me.

I think with the French as long as there is a translation you should be ok. I didn't take French at school but some of it I can pick up (I took Spanish)

I grew up in fare Upstate NY when in 1st and 2nd grade.    We use to say the Pledge of Allegiance in both French and English but have forgotten all my Canadian French -

Except - 

Je ne sais pas

and

je dois aller à la salle de bain

Both very useful

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

29 minutes ago, Mike981 said:

I hope you find a good alternative for you two and have a great trip. And I get your apprehension to try another line, but for some of us it just makes too much sense.

Thanks Mike -   Always enjoy you following along.    I hope we get to meet at some point.

• Like 1

Just realized that you are cruising the “Mitten!”  You will enjoy Mackinac Island and SSM!  I have been to all of those places on your itinerary, but many years ago when I lived in Michigan.  Sending you great weather and a wonderful experience onboard too!  I was just looking at all the great itineraries and cabin/suite choices too...again, many thanks!

23 minutes ago, Stem to Stern said:

Cruising around the mitten.  My home state.  The excursions manager on board is an absolute delight.  We cruised with him on Azamara.  Your comparison should be most interesting.

I really haven't visited that neck of the woods in many years.    At one point my parents were living in Grand Rapids and when I came home for Summer Vacation got a job at a resort on Lake Michigan (Muskegon area).    Really didn't get to see much as my parents moved while I was working and had to drive to Upstate New York at the end of summer to find my new "home".  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, REEtired said:

Hi Jim, looking fwd to your review and comparisons.  We are booked on Silhouette in a SS then Edge next February:March for New Zealand/GBR. After that, who knows. Maybe time to start shopping around.  I’ll follow along on both boards. 
Marie

I think it will be an adventure and actually starting to get excited.    I keep saying to Iain --- what if we hate it.   LOL   

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks Rocky -   I will try to keep this upbeat and not a Groan and Moan about Celebrity.    I  think there has been way too much of this recently on the Celebrity Board.   

I wouldn't expect anything less.  You have always been a gentleman in your posts.  Thanks for continuing to share your travels fellow Vol.  Go Vols!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

It is this year and "World Cruise" is always a bit of a stretch.   The cruise is this year  and is 52 Nights in 4 segments - October 30 - December 21, 2023

Segments -

Rome to Dubai

Dubai to Singapore

Singapore to Sydney

Sydney to New Zealand and back

Sounds wonderful!  Dubai is on my bucket list!  I have never been to Europe, we always do Caribbean cruises.  I think I need to expand my horizons!  

You should really add Cunard, Queens Grill, to your list.    You would really enjoy it and with everything that is included in the Grills you won’t even miss your Zenith perks.    The QM2 is the one to experience, totally different feel from premium cruise ships.    I know the two of you wouldn’t mind wearing a jacket for evenings or a tie for gala evenings.    

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Agree, I wouldn't expect anything less and looking forward to it.

28 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks Mike -   Always enjoy you following along.    I hope we get to meet at some point.

That makes two of us.

• Like 1

To help begin to understand the difference in size of a "Super Yacht' explorer size ships a picture is worth a 1,000 words.     92 Staterooms all Suites -   The small size of the ships allow them to get into places unavailable to larger ships.

image.png.5a488c8b40d56f96a6c22cb1a04c544e.png

• Like 12

12 minutes ago, bjahil47 said:

Sounds wonderful!  Dubai is on my bucket list!  I have never been to Europe, we always do Caribbean cruises.  I think I need to expand my horizons!  

We did the Singapore to Rome via Dubai a couple years ago and loved it.   At first I wasn't excited about India but we took a side trip to the Taj and changed my opinion of India -   What a wonderful diverse country. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

You should really add Cunard, Queens Grill, to your list.    You would really enjoy it and with everything that is included in the Grills you won’t even miss your Zenith perks.    The QM2 is the one to experience, totally different feel from premium cruise ships.    I know the two of you wouldn’t mind wearing a jacket for evenings or a tie for gala evenings.    

I will have to feel that one out with Iain.   We love dressing for dinner so no problem with their dress code.   We initially didn't like their "Class Structure" and separation but I guess that is the direction many cruise lines have done with the Suite within a Suite concept.

There are so many options and so little time.

• Like 2

I have also been following your cruises and reviews over the years. We even went to a restaurant in Buenos Aires you recommended and it was fabulous as you said. I will be interested in hearing your review on Ponant although probably out of our price range. We are also fairly loyal to Celebrity but are branching out and trying Oceania in March. 

Also:  go to Africa. It is incredible. We went to South Africa, Botswana and Zimbabwe a year ago and there is nothing like it. 

• Like 1