What is Yummy in the Main Dining Room?

Diane67B

I agree with the pecan crusted salmon. Not mentioned were the asparagus appetizer, the beef bourguignon, and the crème brûlée which I found excellent. The meat, not so much. Our prime rib came out raw, which they fixed but the quality was not great. The leg of lamb came on a huge bone that kept rolling around when you tried to cut it. The only option was to try it Fred Flintstone style, which I did not attempt. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, RedSails1968 said:

I agree with the pecan crusted salmon. Not mentioned were the asparagus appetizer, the beef bourguignon, and the crème brûlée which I found excellent. The meat, not so much. Our prime rib came out raw, which they fixed but the quality was not great. The leg of lamb came on a huge bone that kept rolling around when you tried to cut it. The only option was to try it Fred Flintstone style, which I did not attempt. 

My sister loves cream brûlée and we both love asparagus. Good to know excellent that both were excellent. It also sounds to me like Royal does beef well. I think I will be eating a lot of it that week. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

I lived in Germany for a total of 6 years, I loved the German Botchen rolls.  They were crispy on the outside and thick on the inside.  It was a task of strength to bite down on the roll and tear it apart.  That is what the Pumpkin Seed Roll reminded me of on RCCL.  If you can't tell, I'm/we're bread people.  BTW, I use the descriptor of Pumpkin Seed as a means of identification.  I could do without the Pumpkin Seeds, though, but they are fine, I don't brush them off.  Now, if RCCl would make a real NY-style cheesecake (I eat what they have but it ain't the real deal) and double chocolate cake (milk chocolate icing), I'd be a happy camper.  

We didn’t live abroad, but we’re from NY and I could be bias, but we have fantastic breads available at many places, ie: Italian, German, American, sourdough…etc

i grew up within walking distance of an authentic German Deli that made their own cold cut meats, as well as their homemade Leberkase (we called it liverloaf) which came right out of the oven warm on Saturdays and we would just have them slice a nice hunk out for lunch on their German breads!   Plus their homemade hot dogs and Bologna, as well as all the other German cold cuts spoiled me so I still can’t eat either of those.

And don’t even get me started about our Italian markets….. oh I miss NY for the food, but not the weather or the taxes

• Like 2

Yes, food is subjective, but I never believe anyone who says, "It's all horrible!"  Honestly, I think some people think they appear more cultured if they seem to be "above" everything.  I appreciate people who give details and really consider what's good vs. bad -- THAT is a public service announcement!  My own thoughts, bouncing off many posts + my own thoughts: 

- I'm no expert on Indian food, but it is plentiful in both the MDR and Windjammer, and all I've tried has been good.  Except for Butter Chicken, which is probably the most basic Indian entree ever, I can't remember specific names.  

- Many people love the French Onion soup, but I find it kinda underwhelming in terms of taste.  

- I enjoyed the Shrimp Cocktail and order it every time it's available, but four shrimps is a rather small offering -- ask for two, or order one + a second appetizer! 

- I enjoyed the Coconut Shrimp appetizer equally well.  I do love shrimp.  

- I liked the Crab Cake appetizer too.  

- Yes to the short ribs!  I had them in the MDR and again the next day at lunch in the Windjammer.  One of the best things I had.    

- I liked but didn't love the Carrot Cake -- it's ready-to-serve from a good quality food service.  It's my ultra-favorite dessert at home, but my own is so much better; admittedly, I've been baking professionally since I was eleven, so I would expect my own to be better.  

- As to the Carrot Cake being two layers instead of three, this doesn't mean it was smaller.  I own well over 100 cake pans, and sometimes I make Carrot Cake as a thick two-layer cake -- other times I go with three thinner layers to get a larger proportion of Cream Cheese Icing.  Without more information about the overall size of the serving, this is not a fair complaint.  What I really like -- and nobody does it except me -- is a two-layer Carrot Cake with a thin layer of Cheesecake in between, the whole thing slathered in Cinnamon Cream Cheese Icing.  It becomes rather tall and difficult to manage, but it's so good.  

- Avoid the vanilla cake.  It was very obviously frozen.  Perhaps they didn't thaw it well?  

- My other ultra-favorite dessert (at home) is Cheesecake; like the Carrot Cake, Royal's Cheesecake is ready-to-serve from a good quality food service.  If you'd be happy with a good-quality cheesecake from the grocery store deli, order it; if you know really excellent cheesecake, stick with the Carrot Cake. 

- I've been satisfied with the various Chocolate Cakes.

- The Key Lime Pie is quite good.  

- So many people talk about the gluten free pizza.  I've never had it, but y'all've made me curious.  I'm going to make a point of trying it next time.  I have enjoyed the pizza onboard, my favorites being Vegetarian and BBQ Chicken.  

- Yes to the Asian Pork Tacos.  Worthy of a solid B. 

- My DH was rather disappointed in the Prime Rib.  

- The Turkey was one of the best meals I've had onboard.  

- Fish and Chips is probably my ultra-favorite MDR entree -- I saw lots of people ordering it, and I overheard some people at the pool saying, "Oh, it's time to go!  Tonight's Fish and Chips, and I am ready."  So WHY did they take it off the menu?  It's cheap, it's easy to cook, and it's a crowd pleaser.  Okay, it's a little low-brow, but so are tacos.  Bring back the Fish and Chips!  

- In contrast, I'm not a big salmon lover.  I've only had the MDR's salmon once, and I was disappointed, but that might've been my strong preference for white fish over salmon.  You can blame this one on me rather than the preparation.  

- Overall, I order the fish dish frequently and am rarely disappointed.  The Lemon Buttered Cod was disappointing; it was under-seasoned.  

- I liked but didn't love the Steak Diane.  The steak was on the thin side, but the sauce was good.  I'd give it a B and would order it again.  

- I wouldn't expect the MDR staff to go to another venue to pick up food for your child.  If you want pizza or breadsticks, bring them.  It's more than a bit tacky, but I'd do it to make my grandson happy.  

- I'm surprised no one's mentioned lobster.  We enjoy it.  

- We are low-carb eaters, so we don't eat the bread.  I'm always a little confused about the great love for it.  Yes, it's good, but it's no better than what you can get at your grocery store deli.  I wonder if people's strong positive reaction comes from the experience of being served, of having multiple courses, of taking your time over a nice meal with your loved ones. 

- My husband orders Escargots every time they're available.  A real favorite of his.  

- Easily the worst entree on Royal's menus:  The Chicken Cordon Bleu.  We buy those individually frozen Chicken Cordon Bleus from Aldis, and consider them a decent weeknight meal -- Aldi's are infinitely better than what's served in the MDR.  Royal's version misses in both terms of presentation and taste.  D- only because it is actual food and won't kill you; it brings nothing to the table in terms of enjoyment.  Avoid at all costs.  

- I enjoyed the Beef Bourguion and would order it again.  Again, a solid B.  

- I always want double vegetables -- goes along with my low-carb thing.  This is very important to me, and I've not been denied yet.

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

The rolls used to be much better….they were crispy, not anymore….BUT the pumpkin seed ones are my favorite…..except for savory bites which I haven’t seen in many years. 

funny how rolls are my favorite food in the MDR. I can’t think of any other thing that stands out

Uh oh. You just answered my question. No savory bites. That just may be a deal breaker. LOL.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Yes, food is subjective, but I never believe anyone who says, "It's all horrible!"  Honestly, I think some people think they appear more cultured if they seem to be "above" everything.  I appreciate people who give details and really consider what's good vs. bad -- THAT is a public service announcement!  My own thoughts, bouncing off many posts + my own thoughts: 

- I'm no expert on Indian food, but it is plentiful in both the MDR and Windjammer, and all I've tried has been good.  Except for Butter Chicken, which is probably the most basic Indian entree ever, I can't remember specific names.  

- Many people love the French Onion soup, but I find it kinda underwhelming in terms of taste.  

- I enjoyed the Shrimp Cocktail and order it every time it's available, but four shrimps is a rather small offering -- ask for two, or order one + a second appetizer! 

- Yes to the short ribs!  I had them in the MDR and again the next day at lunch in the Windjammer.  One of the best things I had.    

- I liked but didn't love the Carrot Cake -- it's ready-to-serve from a good quality food service.  It's my ultra-favorite dessert at home, but my own is so much better; admittedly, I've been baking professionally since I was eleven, so I would expect my own to be better.  

- As to the Carrot Cake being two layers instead of three, this doesn't mean it was smaller.  I own well over 100 cake pans, and sometimes I make Carrot Cake as a thick two-layer cake -- other times I go with three thinner layers to get a larger proportion of Cream Cheese Icing.  Without more information about the overall size of the serving, this is not a fair complaint.  What I really like -- and nobody does it except me -- is a two-layer Carrot Cake with a thin layer of Cheesecake in between, the whole thing slathered in Cinnamon Cream Cheese Icing.  It becomes rather tall and difficult to manage, but it's so good.  

- Avoid the vanilla cake.  It was very obviously frozen.  Perhaps they didn't thaw it well?  

- My other ultra-favorite dessert (at home) is Cheesecake; like the Carrot Cake, Royal's Cheesecake is ready-to-serve from a good quality food service.  If you'd be happy with a good-quality cheesecake from the grocery store deli, order it; if you know really excellent cheesecake, stick with the Carrot Cake. 

- So many people talk about the gluten free pizza.  I've never had it, but y'all've made me curious.  I'm going to make a point of trying it next time.  I have enjoyed the pizza onboard, my favorites being Vegetarian and BBQ Chicken.  

- Fish and Chips is probably my ultra-favorite MDR entree -- I saw lots of people ordering it, and I overheard some people at the pool saying, "Oh, it's time to go!  Tonight's Fish and Chips, and I am ready."  So WHY did they take it off the menu?  It's cheap, it's easy to cook, and it's a crowd pleaser.  Okay, it's a little low-brow, but so are tacos.  Bring back the Fish and Chips!  

- In contrast, I'm not a big salmon lover.  I've only had the MDR's salmon once, and I was disappointed, but that might've been my strong preference for white fish over salmon.  You can blame this one on me rather than the preparation.  

- Overall, I order the fish dish frequently and am rarely disappointed.  The Lemon Buttered Cod was disappointing; it was under-seasoned.  

- I liked but didn't love the Steak Diane.  The steak was on the thin side, but the sauce was good.  I'd give it a B and would order it again.  

- I wouldn't expect the MDR staff to go to another venue to pick up food for your child.  If you want pizza or breadsticks, bring them.  It's more than a bit tacky, but I'd do it to make my grandson happy.  

- We are low-carb eaters, so we don't eat the bread.  I'm always a little confused about the great love for it.  Yes, it's good, but it's no better than what you can get at your grocery store deli.  I wonder if people's strong positive reaction comes from the experience of being served, of having multiple courses, of taking your time over a nice meal with your loved ones. 

- My husband orders Escargots every time they're available.  A real favorite of his.  

- Easily the worst entree on Royal's menus:  The Chicken Cordon Bleu.  We buy those individually frozen Chicken Cordon Bleus from Aldis, and consider them a decent weeknight meal -- Aldi's are infinitely better than what's served in the MDR.  Royal's version misses in both terms of presentation and taste.  D- only because it is actual food and won't kill you; it brings nothing to the table in terms of enjoyment.  Avoid at all costs.  

- I always want double vegetables -- goes along with my low-carb thing.  This is very important to me, and I've not been denied yet.

That was a good review….and I also ask for extra veggies, sometimes they just bring an extra plate of veggies and we share 👍

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

My 8 year daughter asked if she could get pizza one night in the MDR. They said no, so I went down to the royal promenade, got some and brought it back. Whoever is in charge needs to travel on their own ships and see how petty it’s become. 

I don't think send waitstaff to another location to get pizza for MDR was ever an option.   Sorry, but it does take away from waitstaff doing their job in MDR.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Wow!!! What an incredibly informative post!! I ate it up! See what I did there? 😎😜 Thank you so much! So, definitely avoiding the chicken cordon blue and it seems several people have commented on less than great pork and prime rib. So many votes for beef bourguignon and tenderloin, short ribs and shrimp, and asian pork, escargot.  I’m definitely getting those! I wish they had your carrot cake with cheesecake in the middle. Yum!

Edited by Diane67B
Forgot something

1 hour ago, eem0924 said:

Love, love, love the bread in the Main dining room.

Since I don't have rolls/bread with dinner at home, it's a real treat.  

Also enjoy the onion tart

I don’t eat bread too much at home either so it’s a real treat for me as well. 

On 9/2/2023 at 1:56 PM, Diane67B said:

I keep hearing about how the quality of food has gone down. I board the Oasis on September 17th. Is there anything you recommend? Or is there anything I should avoid? I know there are a lot of posts about dining but I am having a hard time finding specifics. I would really appreciate any advice!! Thanks!!

I sailed Oasis on August 20 and what I had as appetizers and entrees was good.  On the last night I saw gnocchi with a cream sauce. Cream sauce does not agree with my stomach and asked if they could substitute marinara. 
The marinara sauce was excellent and enjoyed the gnocchi with the tiger shrimps entree 

• Thanks 1

I've experienced the prime rib to be hit and miss.  It all depends on the quality of the cut of beef.  I will often ask the waiter for their honest evaluation.

One decadent recommendation for a Windjammer dessert...

The Pavlova

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, coffeebean said:

Speaking of bun/rolls.......Does Royal MD still have Savory Bites? I surely hope so.

I don't know, I never heard of the Savory Bites until a few months ago and while on this site.  Still not sure what they are.

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I don't think send waitstaff to another location to get pizza for MDR was ever an option.   Sorry, but it does take away from waitstaff doing their job in MDR.

In the past they were allowed to be flexible and would make an effort. Everything now is strictly menu only. An average high street restaurant would be more service oriented. Not the staffs fault. They’ve got their instructions. Anyway, apologies, this is off topic. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I don't know, I never heard of the Savory Bites until a few months ago and while on this site.  Still not sure what they are.

I’m probably one of the few people who don’t like them.  I bake most of our bread at home and I absolutely love the breads they serve.  It’s so great to have a selection of different breads.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

And there is a MDR children's menu, with other child-pleasing dishes to choose from.

• Like 1