Free Burgers??

Scubadoc

17 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

Maybe, but using the term 'free' when describing anything on a cruise ship might very well confuse some newbie cruisers.

Why would it confuse anyone.

Free is the common opposite of paying for something.  Paying extra for something on a ship is something people understand so for everyday purposes saying something on the ship is free and the vast majority of people understand that.  It is only a few in here that feel the need to argue that it is not free but included.

• Like 10

12 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Why would it confuse anyone.

Free is the common opposite of paying for something.  Paying extra for something on a ship is something people understand so for everyday purposes saying something on the ship is free and the vast majority of people understand that.  It is only a few in here that feel the need to argue that it is not free but included.

Okay..

3 hours ago, UK Fan 78 said:

For some reason, I think Wipeout Cafe used to have them on Allure. That was a long time ago. I could be wrong though.

Absolutely correct.  Back in the day (when I was on Oasis in 2010 and Allure in 2012) the Wipeout Cafe had burgers, fries, etc.  They were average at best, but they were included and certainly more convenient to the pool deck on an Oasis class ship than, say, the Boardwalk Dog House or Johnny Rockets.

I do love El Loco Fresh and the food there is much better IMO, but it was certainly nice having a quick burger option outside of the Windjammer.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RogerDodger247 said:

Absolutely correct.  Back in the day (when I was on Oasis in 2010 and Allure in 2012) the Wipeout Cafe had burgers, fries, etc.  They were average at best, but they were included and certainly more convenient to the pool deck on an Oasis class ship than, say, the Boardwalk Dog House or Johnny Rockets.

I do love El Loco Fresh and the food there is much better IMO, but it was certainly nice having a quick burger option outside of the Windjammer.

It was less than a year ago when we last sailed the Allure, and the Wipeout Cafe was still there. To be fair, I never tried the burgers, but what I did have was pretty tasty (especially for breakfast). We are not big fans of El Loco Fresh, so I was bummed to hear it's been replaced. 😕

Maybe we need to try El Loco Fresh again, though. I've heard from lots of people who enjoy it, so they might deserve another chance on another ship. 🙂 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

Maybe we need to try El Loco Fresh again, though. I've heard from lots of people who enjoy it, so they might deserve another chance on another ship.

I've only tried it once (Wonder in June) and I enjoyed the tacos but wasn't a fan of anything else really. Nothing special about them, but I rarely get to to eat any Mexican at home (picky wife won't), so a simple taco bar is a welcome addition to me. I enjoyed it as an afternoon snack between lunch and dinner.

Also, while I never had anything, it was empty when I walked by during breakfast hours. Omelets, waffles, standard sides like bacon, sausage, hash browns... so I could see it being a good spot for the anti-WJ crowd. Nice outside seating too.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

I've only tried it once (Wonder in June) and I enjoyed the tacos but wasn't a fan of anything else really. Nothing special about them, but I rarely get to to eat any Mexican at home (picky wife won't), so a simple taco bar is a welcome addition to me. I enjoyed it as an afternoon snack between lunch and dinner.

We have made nachos at El Loco Fresh that were pretty good. The chicken quesadilla was okay. Like you said, it's a nice afternoon snack.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KroozNut said:

As a general comment here, we all need to remember that nothing is ever 'free' on any cruise ship, or any cruise line.

Some items (including some food items) are offered at no additional charge (included with the cruise fare), while other items incur an additional charge at point of sale onboard the ship.

It is the 'included with the cruise fare' items that some folks confuse with and incorrectly characterize as 'free'. 🙂

Well as the context here is on the ship after you've already paid your cruise fare, they are indeed free. If someone was asking about a theoretical cost of a burger for a cruise they hadn't paid for yet, then the cost of the cruise would be relevant. To argue otherwise is just showing you have issues. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, UK Fan 78 said:

We have made nachos at El Loco Fresh that were pretty good.

Didn't get around to it but I can see making those just like making a taco. We did grab some tortilla chips and cheese (wife's attempt to try something, lol) and the cheese wasn't very good.

13 minutes ago, UK Fan 78 said:

The chicken quesadilla was okay.

They likely depend on how soon they were made before you get to them. It's hard for a basic chicken quesadilla to be terrible. I probably got one that was sitting out and just said I might as well make chicken tacos after that. I'll give them another shot when we go back.

I also meant to try some of the stuff from the dessert case (think they had a few different flavors of flan) but didn't.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

It was less than a year ago when we last sailed the Allure, and the Wipeout Cafe was still there. To be fair, I never tried the burgers, but what I did have was pretty tasty (especially for breakfast). We are not big fans of El Loco Fresh, so I was bummed to hear it's been replaced. 😕

Maybe we need to try El Loco Fresh again, though. I've heard from lots of people who enjoy it, so they might deserve another chance on another ship. 🙂 

I think you are confused. Wipe out cafe, still has the same name, but has the FRESH mexican .. as stated earlier. Its mexican and it was mexican last year on allure. Maybe they like the name, but it no longer has the burgers and fries and whatever. I was on allure b2b last dec so I'm very sure .. just the name remains. Otherwise it serves the FRESH mexican menu. Not the snacks from pre covid days.

Impossible you were on allure within the last year and did not have the mexican food there.

And it's not on a smaller ship to try.

Now you all have me missing guys burgers on carnival. So good. WJ just isnt the same or particularly good burgers. .. free yes. 

5 hours ago, KroozNut said:

As a general comment here, we all need to remember that nothing is ever 'free' on any cruise ship, or any cruise line.

Some items (including some food items) are offered at no additional charge (included with the cruise fare), while other items incur an additional charge at point of sale onboard the ship.

It is the 'included with the cruise fare' items that some folks confuse with and incorrectly characterize as 'free'. 🙂

So true. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I think you are confused. Wipe out cafe, still has the same name, but has the FRESH mexican .. as stated earlier.. I was on allure b2b last dec so I'm very sure .. 

Impossible you were on allure within the last year and did not have the mexican food there.

And it's not on a smaller ship to try.

Respectfully ... no, not impossible. 🙂 I was on the Allure last October, and the Wipe Out Café was most definitely NOT "Wipe Out Café featuring El Loco Fresh," as it is currently billed. Although I believe you when you say it was that way in December, I am equally confident that it wasn't in October. It was essentially a mini-Windjammer in terms of menu items. 

And you're right, there is no "Wipe Out Café featuring El Loco Fresh" on smaller ships. However, I have tried the El Loco Fresh menu on other ships and not been impressed.  That was the point of my comment.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Scubadoc said:

On Allure right now. Am I missing something or is there no place to get a free hamburger? I know you can order them from room service and maybe there’s a place to make them in the windjammer, but every ship I’ve ever been on there has been someplace by the pool to get a hamburger. Thanks!

Celebrity has the MAST GRILL and BAR overlooking the pool. GREAT fries and burgers

• Like 3

When I was on Allure in April, I recall the Wipeout Cafe had long lines out the door and down the deck.

My wife and I were celebrating our 25th anniversary and had our dinners planned, so we didn't waste valuable stomach space on this venue.

I do recall that Disney ships had great poolside quick-serve restaurants, including pizza, hot dogs, and shawarma (for the Iron Man fans).

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

Respectfully ... no, not impossible. 🙂 I was on the Allure last October, and the Wipe Out Café was most definitely NOT "Wipe Out Café featuring El Loco Fresh," as it is currently billed. Although I believe you when you say it was that way in December, I am equally confident that it wasn't in October. It was essentially a mini-Windjammer in terms of menu items. 

I believe that it was changed over during the deadhead to Galveston for her debut there in November.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, KroozNut said:

Agreed, but I think everybody knows that. "Free" is a lot easier to type than "no additional charge" LOL 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, boscobeans said:

Celebrity has the MAST GRILL and BAR overlooking the pool. GREAT fries and burgers

Awwww, bummer. We've been sailing X the last many years and LOVE the Mast Grill. And, yes, grab quick beer there, too. Those burgers and fries are SO GOOD. I'm sad to hear that RC doesn't have anything like that to grab a quick burger near the pool. We'll be on Wonder in April, it's our first RC sailing since 2010 maybe (I think). But I think we'll have lots of other food options to explore and save poolside burgers for our next X sailing.

22 minutes ago, RumRunner01 said:

Awwww, bummer. We've been sailing X the last many years and LOVE the Mast Grill. And, yes, grab quick beer there, too. Those burgers and fries are SO GOOD. I'm sad to hear that RC doesn't have anything like that to grab a quick burger near the pool. We'll be on Wonder in April, it's our first RC sailing since 2010 maybe (I think). But I think we'll have lots of other food options to explore and save poolside burgers for our next X sailing.

They are starting to listen.  There will be a poolside venue on Utopia.  Hopefully something gets added to more ships when they go in for their next drydock.

20 minutes ago, RumRunner01 said:

We'll be on Wonder in April

I guess it depends on your definition of "near the pool" but both buffets are on the pool deck (WJ and Solarium Bistro) and El Loco Fresh (Mexican) is one deck up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

I guess it depends on your definition of "near the pool" but both buffets are on the pool deck (WJ and Solarium Bistro) and El Loco Fresh (Mexican) is one deck up.

For me, being "near the pool" would mean not having to go inside, and would be somewhere that a person could wear only swimwear (i.e., not the Windjammer).

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 1

I realize that the original question was about no extra cost burgers so no need for a discussion over free /no extra charge in this thread. Since Celebrity burgers were brought up, I will give a strong vote for the "free" poolside burgers/fries/shakes (the last not free) on HAL ships.

Jim

• Like 2