Has Anyone Else Noticed More “Casual-ness”?

LoneMoose

We were on a recent cruise and noticed that people were dressed more casually than we’ve seen in the past.  Azamara has never been fancy, but we’ve always been right in line if we packed resort casual clothes.  This time, it was noticeably more casual: LOTS of jeans and sweatshirts, although I only saw one pair of ripped jeans and not in the dining room (where it isn’t allowed anyway).  Realizing that this was on a summer cruise (children on board!) and it was in Norway (more casual and active than a cruise in the Med for example), I’m wondering if this is an overall shift in casualness from resort casual to casual-casual.  This casualness extended to the main dining room and specialties as well: everything was a notch down in terms of dressiness.  We were also on two cruises last fall in much warmer climates and there seemed to be a trend to more casual, although someone on this forum attributed it to a large proportion of cruisers from a very casual country, meaning that there could be different factors at play.  

Our next trip will probably be trans Atlantic, so that could be totally different.  What have you recent cruisers observed?  I think if I was giving advice to first time AZ cruisers, I would not advise resort casual but rather “casual but nice” but I’m interested to hear what your experiences have shown.

• Like 1

It's a worldwide trend.  Even stuffy Silversea has dramatically eased the dress code on their newest ship, leading to expectations that this will roll out fleet-wide.  And passengers who complained were told by the hotel manager that it has become impossible to enforce dress codes.

I had the same feeling in June.

And I am really sorry about that. Over the years cruising we are able to pack chic evening wear without overweight luggage. 

I thought maybe it depends also on the nationalities on board.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LoneMoose said:

We were on a recent cruise and noticed that people were dressed more casually than we’ve seen in the past.  Azamara has never been fancy, but we’ve always been right in line if we packed resort casual clothes.  This time, it was noticeably more casual: LOTS of jeans and sweatshirts, although I only saw one pair of ripped jeans and not in the dining room (where it isn’t allowed anyway).  Realizing that this was on a summer cruise (children on board!) and it was in Norway (more casual and active than a cruise in the Med for example), I’m wondering if this is an overall shift in casualness from resort casual to casual-casual.  This casualness extended to the main dining room and specialties as well: everything was a notch down in terms of dressiness.  We were also on two cruises last fall in much warmer climates and there seemed to be a trend to more casual, although someone on this forum attributed it to a large proportion of cruisers from a very casual country, meaning that there could be different factors at play.  

Our next trip will probably be trans Atlantic, so that could be totally different.  What have you recent cruisers observed?  I think if I was giving advice to first time AZ cruisers, I would not advise resort casual but rather “casual but nice” but I’m interested to hear what your experiences have shown.

Whenever anyone asks about dress on here or other social media, there is always a very vocal section saying dont take a jacket , a suit , a shirt, a nice dress etc  and a similar number trying to redress the balance.  My husband always takes a jacket ( sometimes air con is vicious ) and a suit and wears that to the speciality restaurants . I always take nice dresses as thats what I would wear for a meal  out at home. The temperature in the main dining room is constant with the air con so destination shouldn’t matter

We met a lovely lady in May on Onward and she said she had packed far too casual and hadnt  even put in a pair of heeled shoes and she would have if she had known . 

I am certainly in the camp of dress for a nice meal out and a show, but I dont dwell on what others are wearing. We wear what we like to wear and its always more dress up than dress down. I like dressing up, but I am happy that its not  formal.  If the dress code in the main dining room is enforced then there shouldn't be any problems. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LoneMoose said:

It's difficult to judge in isolation. Each cruise has its own feel. I've done a few long stints on the ship before Covid. Sometimes five or six on the trot. It's always amazed me how much the guest mix can change. Time of year, length of cruise etc. All I can say is it's never been a problem for me. Except the occasional guy trying to get into the MDR in the evening in shorts. Always swiftly and politely dealt with. I have no desire to look at hairy knees when I'm going to eat dinner. 😆

Phil 

Edited by excitedofharpenden
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

There were very few dresses on our recent Scotland intensive and I don’t recall seeing any sport coats. Those would have definitely seemed too dressy. Vast majority dressed appropriately but always a few outliers such as some wearing a t-shirt with a saying on it In Discoveries. If you want to wear that eat at The Patio. However, I actually thought there were more women dressed a notch down at dinner than men. Lots of sneakers these days in the evening but that’s the world we live in now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AllisonJames said:

Lots of sneakers these days in the evening but that’s the world we live in now.

So true, and it would make packing light a bit easier!  But some women can pull it off and I…look like I’m about to clean out the garage.😆

• Haha 4

DW just bought some Sketchers "Bobs Squad Chaos Daily Inspiration Hands Free Slip-ons" [also "Vegan," in case we get the munchies after hiking!] that are so light I think they will actually decrease the weight of her luggage!!! 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Currently on Onward sailing in to Kotor, Montenegro, three women at breakfast buffet and aft deck in robes and slippers. 
I don’t need people to be fancy, but I do prefer people to be dressed. 

IMG_3141.jpeg

Edited by terry&mike
Add photo
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

I agree with Phil, it does vary from cruise to cruise, often seeming to depend on the destination and the passenger mix. We too noticed that on the cruise we did in Norway people were dressed much more casually.

Its also most certainly true that generally speaking you see fewer people ‘dressing up’ everywhere nowadays.

• Like 1

I take the view does it matter.

I take what I’d wear to a smart restaurant in town. DH takes a blazer as he prefers to wear one (he travels in it). We may be dressed a little more smartly than others but we are ok with that - we are not in ball gowns! 

However my focus at all times is on the food and service - if others have other dress styles jeans robes etc I hardly notice never mind care. I do get upset at badly cooked or heated food and sloppy service 

• Like 9

16 hours ago, combine said:

Whenever anyone asks about dress on here or other social media, there is always a very vocal section saying dont take a jacket , a suit , a shirt, a nice dress etc  and a similar number trying to redress the balance.  My husband always takes a jacket ( sometimes air con is vicious ) and a suit and wears that to the speciality restaurants . I always take nice dresses as thats what I would wear for a meal  out at home....

The Az dress code for dining is clear as follows:

In all of our dining rooms we encourage guests to follow a “resort casual” dress code, following good taste and common sense. Bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps, bathing suits, shorts, and jeans are not allowed in the main dining room or two specialty restaurants. When dining at Windows Café guests must wear footwear and a cover-up or shirt.

So, it matters not how you and your husband, nor my wife and I think 'resort casual dress code' ought to be played out onboard. The problem Az, and most cruiselines have is that the dress code to be followed is not really defined....other than the obvious! Regarding the 3 women photographed in robes and slippers, they might argue that they are wearing the required 'cover-up' at Windows Cafe!

Resort casual means different things to different people, hence the reason some are offended by how others dress especially in MDR. Our view is similar to that expressed by UKtog above, we barely notice and rarely care what others are wearing....but do understand why this topic generates much angst.

44 minutes ago, hamrag said:

The Az dress code for dining is clear as follows:

In all of our dining rooms we encourage guests to follow a “resort casual” dress code, following good taste and common sense. Bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps, bathing suits, shorts, and jeans are not allowed in the main dining room or two specialty restaurants. When dining at Windows Café guests must wear footwear and a cover-up or shirt.

So, it matters not how you and your husband, nor my wife and I think 'resort casual dress code' ought to be played out onboard. The problem Az, and most cruiselines have is that the dress code to be followed is not really defined....other than the obvious! Regarding the 3 women photographed in robes and slippers, they might argue that they are wearing the required 'cover-up' at Windows Cafe!

Resort casual means different things to different people, hence the reason some are offended by how others dress especially in MDR. Our view is similar to that expressed by UKtog above, we barely notice and rarely care what others are wearing....but do understand why this topic generates much angst.

That’s an old quote - Azamara haven’t said no jeans for quite a while. What they do say is no distressed jeans.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

That’s an old quote - Azamara haven’t said no jeans for quite a while. What they do say is no distressed jeans.

OK, thanks and interesting you say that. All I did was lift it straight from the Az UK website Q&A for dining an hour ago! Surely they can at least get that part of the website correct, perhaps not!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, hamrag said:

OK, thanks and interesting you say that. All I did was lift it straight from the Az UK website Q&A for dining an hour ago! Surely they can at least get that part of the website correct, perhaps not!

Just been on the Azamara website and under Packing Tips it says Out of respect for others, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps, bathing suits, shorts, and torn/distressed jeans are not allowed in the dining room or specialty restaurants. When dining at Windows Café, guests must wear footwear and a cover-up or shirt.

Followed the dining link and it said the same. 
Interesting that you said you were on the Azamara.co.Uk site. When I try to go there it just defaults to Azamara.com.

Edited by Grandma Cruising
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Just been on the Azamara website and under Packing Tips it says Out of respect for others, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps, bathing suits, shorts, and torn/distressed jeans are not allowed in the dining room or specialty restaurants. When dining at Windows Café, guests must wear footwear and a cover-up or shirt.

So, there is a contradiction by Az on the same website as what I quoted was listed under Q&A in the Dining & Beverage section. The use of the term torn/distressed jeans makes much more sense!

Thanks.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hamrag said:

So, there is a contradiction by Az on the same website as what I quoted was listed under Q&A in the Dining & Beverage section. The use of the term torn/distressed jeans makes much more sense!

Thanks.

This is very strange - I can’t see a Q&A section in the Dining & Beverage pages - my info was from What to Wear in the Dining & Wine pages https://www.azamara.com/gb/our-ships/onboard-dining

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

This is very strange - I can’t see a Q&A section in the Dining & Beverage pages - my info was from What to Wear in the Dining & Wine pages https://www.azamara.com/gb/our-ships/onboard-dining

When I cannot easily find a Q&A for any business, they are often found at the bottom of any home page.

So, in Az website at home page, scrolling to bottom of page, I see this:

Then I Click on the 'or read our FAQs' link and see this (appropriate section I have bolded the font) :

Frequently Asked Questions

Can't find what you are looking for?

Contact Us   

My Account

Online Check-in

Azamara Circle - Loyalty Program

Azamara Trip Protection

Explore well at sea

Accessibility

Cruise Safety

Cruising Curiosities

Dining & Beverages

What if I have dietary restrictions?

Do I need to make a reservation?

What is the dress code?

In Prime C, Aqualina, and Discoveries Restaurant, many guests enjoy dressing up. Formal evening wear (ball gowns and tuxedos) is not expected. We recommend that men bring a sport coat or suit; for women, dresses, skirts, blouses with pants and capris are all appropriate attire.

Is every restaurant and dining area included in the price of my voyage?

Is there assigned seating?

How did you choose the inclusive liquor brands?

Why are selections of inclusive liquor brands so limited?

Can I make substitutions from one beverage package to another?

Does every beverage package include all the liquor brands from the lower tier packages?

Will I be able to purchase beverage packages once onboard? Is there a time limit?

If I purchase a beverage package a few days into my voyage, can I purchase for the entire voyage and get my previous beverage charges removed?

Am I able to downgrade my beverage package throughout the voyage?

Is champagne included in the wine packages?

Where can I find the full spirits listed for all beverage packages? How about the wine and beer listings?

Why can I only order one drink at a time?

When I purchase my beverage package, are the drinks unlimited?

Why don’t you offer a Super Premium beverage package?

If I purchase a beverage package can I have drinks delivered to my stateroom?

Are all selections available at all ship bars?

What beverages are included in my cruise fare?

Shore Excursions

Cruise Documents & Luggage Tags

Lost & Found

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hamrag said:

When I cannot easily find a Q&A for any business, they are often found at the bottom of any home page.

So, in Az website at home page, scrolling to bottom of page, I see this:

Aah, found it! So no-one has checked across the site for consistency.!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Dress codes have been challenged on every cruise that we have enjoyed in the past few years.  There are usually some who believe it’s acceptable to wear a ball cap in any dining venue, or bathrobes and pajamas outside their staterooms, and those who consider torn or ripped jeans as fashionable.  Increasingly more people everywhere who are convinced that rules do not apply.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

With one exception, when we cruise (regardless of line) I wear a sports coat and pack slacks, button shirts, tie, and shoes to go with the ensemble.  DW (a native German) packs evening wear she feels is appropriate for dinning out at a classy restaurant.  Even with relaxed dress codes we have been know to pack formal wear.  GS and GD LIKE to dress up for at least one diner per cruise and we don't discourage it.  I know some fellow passengers may think we are showing off.  We aren't, it is just who we are.

image.thumb.png.d1ace73602bb30c68ad6448c48e87962.png

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Traveling Fools said:

With one exception, when we cruise (regardless of line) I wear a sports coat and pack slacks, button shirts, tie, and shoes to go with the ensemble.  DW (a native German) packs evening wear she feels is appropriate for dinning out at a classy restaurant.  Even with relaxed dress codes we have been know to pack formal wear.  GS and GD LIKE to dress up for at least one diner per cruise and we don't discourage it.  I know some fellow passengers may think we are showing off.  We aren't, it is just who we are.

image.thumb.png.d1ace73602bb30c68ad6448c48e87962.png

Adorable family 

8 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Adorable family 

Thanks....GS started it all one day at WalMart.  He saw an inexpensive kiddy pair of slacks, matching vest, and tie.  Told DW he wanted to get that "Tuxedo".  He was very young and we don't know where he got the term or idea.  Bought it for him and then a couple of years later bought him an inexpensive tux on line. 

Edited by Traveling Fools
  • Like 2