Just boarded MSC Virtuosa

emmas gran

1 hour ago, Mark_T said:

Switching between devices is a little ship dependent, some you can others not...

...but each person in a YC cabin gets 2 devices anyway, so often no need to switch.

The included drink package is the top level - 'Premium Extra'.

Thanks for the response.   We normally sail on X and on there you can only be logged in on one device at a time.  My wife was concerned because she plays a daily game that is on her iPad  but doesn’t link up to the IPhone  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Thanks for the help from other YC ers , no one has mentioned the newspaper on boarding you have a list of papers from around the world and pick your paper of choice. It’s delivered to your room door in a little bag, my butler knew I was on deck so brought it there to see if I wanted it!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, emmas gran said:

Thanks for the help from other YC ers , no one has mentioned the newspaper on boarding you have a list of papers from around the world and pick your paper of choice. It’s delivered to your room door in a little bag, my butler knew I was on deck so brought it there to see if I wanted it!!

The newspaper did come as a surprise to us, we had been used to the summary sheets you used to get on some other cruise lines, so the 'half a tree' that arrived was unexpected 🙂

I think we will probably decline it next time as it does seem to involve excessive use of paper, but I can see the appeal for those who like to read the whole thing...

• Like 1

On 9/9/2023 at 10:31 PM, hcat said:

the ship itself looks gigantic

how did they handle embarkation?

At Southampton you go through security first and then check in. It was very quick. We travelled in April and no in YC. Boarding begins at 10am, and ends at about 4pm. Lots of people turned up early and it wasn't a problem. You can stay on the ship till noon on disembarkation day but have to be  out of the cabin by 7.30 am. 

Lunch today on the pool deck Bar & Grill was salmon or vegetable curry or lamb chops, lovely selection of salad etc, sorry no pictures.

Last night was Elegant night lots of suits or tux for the men even a couple of kilts in YC , the ladies looked great but not as formal as the men.

Dinner last night was Scallops starter 3 per serving and then I had Tournedos Rossini, very nice meal .

The sommelier remembered me from Norway cruise in May and serving my favourite wine .

• Like 6

I didn’t see an answer about tips. Are they included in the fare? I recall they were when we were on the MSC Divinia in the YC in 2015, but that was a long time ago. Also, how is the atmosphere in the main part of the ship? I wouldn’t know as we were on two b to b music cruises headlined by the Moody Blues and Yes, and the average age onboard was around 60. Because of this, it was pretty refined.

29 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

I didn’t see an answer about tips. Are they included in the fare?

They are not included as a general booking but one may find a special that includes gratuities.  I believe the daily grat for YC is $16 pp/pd.

2 hours ago, gordylad said:

enjoy your cruise...will be interesting to hear if the entertainment is aimed at the European clients..

We have only sailed MSC from US ports and the entertainment is very USA centric.  Having said that, we enjoyed a mini-opera on Seashore on a sea day afternoon.  The female lead had a beautiful voice but the male was lip synced.  

10 minutes ago, George C said:

How is the drink package that you get with yacht club? How much does it cover ? 

It's the premium package, the highest they offer and it covers just about everything...except bottles of wine, of course and maybe some higher end scotches.  However, if its served in the YC, it's likely covered (the higher end scotch comes to mind as not being covered in YC)... We found a bar on Seashore that had a high end scotch that DH wanted to try.  It wasn't covered.  They also had a self-serve wine bar with specialty wines that were not covered.  The chocolate cocktails at Davinci, a chocolateria are also not covered.  Other than that, you get it all.

Edit:  The cost per drink is up to $15 and it used to be that if a drink exceeded the limit, one paid full price.  That practice has been changed to charge just the difference.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

It's the premium package, the highest they offer and it covers just about everything...except bottles of wine, of course and maybe some higher end scotches.  However, if its served in the YC, it's likely covered (the higher end scotch comes to mind as not being covered in YC)... We found a bar on Seashore that had a high end scotch that DH wanted to try.  It wasn't covered.  They also had a self-serve wine bar with specialty wines that were not covered.  The chocolate cocktails at Davinci, a chocolateria are also not covered.  Other than that, you get it all.

Edit:  The cost per drink is up to $15 and it used to be that if a drink exceeded the limit, one paid full price.  That practice has been changed to charge just the difference.

So it is more or less same as premium on celebrity or rccl .

26 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

You stole the question right out of my mouth!  I was just going to ask about the incremental vs full price difference but your edit beat me to it.  Thanks, very helpful!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, George C said:

One more drink question can you order doubles I believe it was allowed on my last yacht club , I know I can have that in celebrity retreat.

The bartender asks me if I want double or single Belvedere and tonic if I sit at the bar, I laughingly said they all looked doubles.

Georgia Peaches is right about the up charge for JW Blue I will try and find out how much.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

I didn’t see an answer about tips. Are they included in the fare? I recall they were when we were on the MSC Divinia in the YC in 2015, but that was a long time ago. Also, how is the atmosphere in the main part of the ship? I wouldn’t know as we were on two b to b music cruises headlined by the Moody Blues and Yes, and the average age onboard was around 60. Because of this, it was pretty refined.

We have tips included in UK booking but tend to tip individuals also

• Like 1

On 9/9/2023 at 7:31 PM, George C said:

I definitely thought suite lounge was superior to celebrity with live music , enjoyed there food , outdoor area was way less crowded than edge class with a bigger lunch menu .

I have seen 2/3 different entertainment this trip so far a trio (singer piano and large string electric oboe) 2 guys piano and violin and a pianist, they all tend to be very good. The lady singer from the trio is from Ukraine and going home to see family at the end of her contract 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, George C said:

So it is more or less same as premium on celebrity or rccl .

Our experience last week, although we were not in YC, was that the drinks in general were priced much cheaper than Celebrity. We saw almost nothing over $16. And this was a Carribean cruise. 

Edited by cbfb
Info
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, chemmo said:

Enjoy your day, thoroughly enjoying following along!

I bit the bullet and booked this trip in June as I was playing on the website and found a great fare. I miss my husband terribly but he wanted me to continue cruising and enjoy my life after he passed in February 🥲

• Like 21