Rogueperson's **LIVE** Jewel of the Seas 9/14/2023 - 9/28/2023.

Rogueperson

Good morning from 

IMG_8767.thumb.png.846ed13c1013a3d6c888bc778e7b5ac0.png

We gain 30 minutes last night.  So I’m actually up in the AM.  Current situation.

image.thumb.jpg.3602f7c7ef45d1c52a6a605356665139.jpg

I was pretty busy last night.  

After the movie, I went the the Headliner show.

IMG_8757.thumb.jpeg.6831af3591c0ed395d873cee1c511590.jpeg

IMG_8759.thumb.jpeg.73a3815c5cfed1f56ad16cd5f26c0865.jpeg

What is it with Royal Caribbean and jugglers?  The show wasn’t bad.  However, i feel like there’s a juggler on every cruise.  Its like someone on the Board of Royal just decreed “there must be a juggler on all our ships!” and it just stuck.

Then Dinner

Menu

IMG_8760.thumb.jpeg.fc12a9136f744d9dac02a5ee0619d52b.jpeg

Spring Rolls.  They were ok

IMG_8761.thumb.jpeg.a37e1f120112b5a55491e84a20858d76.jpeg

Dumplings.  They were bland.

IMG_8762.thumb.jpeg.142f07054fecdbeb349400ff2e11f0df.jpeg

tom Yum Soup.  This was awful.  I took one sip and wanted to rethink my life choices.

IMG_8763.thumb.jpeg.395a631da7f4006a924a675ab792e2bc.jpeg

Chicken Biryani.  This was delicious, but in my opinion, it was dry.  It needed some kindnof sauce.  It came with a cucumber yogurt sauce but i hate cucumbers.  Waiter brought out just plain yogurt and that was the ticket.  

After dinner was the Quest!  Yes, the Quest is back.  I expected to be a little slow given the crowd we have, but Kat, the CD pulled it off.  No pictures because what happens at Quest, stays at Quest.

IMG_8764.thumb.jpeg.7082783b96e2104c14a162c4a2db55d5.jpeg

• Like 3

Just to give some perspective on on how difficult getting a good image of the Northern Lights.

I present IMG_8640.thumb.jpeg.73f3232a3bf6bcc186458bbf946ae7f5.jpeg

So, this image was actually taken the first night the Northern Lights presented itself.  My wife is the more artistic on the two of us.  Well, lets be honest, she has enough artistic talent to just squish me.  Anyways, she edited this photo to add additional exposure to it, whatever that means.

This was before

IMG_8640.thumb.jpeg.9b7be726dd91b4da7d491206749d7343.jpeg

I never saw these green hues.  To my eyes, it appeared like a dim white cloud.  Even these shapes were not seen until i saw these photos.

All in all, its still amazing.  These were taken with an iphone 11

Edited by Rogueperson
  • Like 7

We thought the Asian menu last night was one of the best. Food was hot - in both temperature and spice. My spring rolls were crispy- could have done with more satay sauce, dumplings good and king po chicken was delicious! 

I just wish they would stop asking for our pudding order when they take our orders. I do not know until I’ve finished eating my main course whether I want it or have room for pudding!! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rogueperson said:

Chicken Biryani.  This was delicious, but in my opinion, it was dry.  It needed some kindnof sauce.  It came with a cucumber yogurt sauce but i hate cucumbers.  Waiter brought out just plain yogurt and that was the ticket.  

Biryani by its nature is usually fairly dry but I don’t doubt on the ship it had stood and dried out. On the menu it says it is served with daal which should have been more saucy. Was that missing or served separately?

I love raita and glad to see they are serving it as standard i have often had to request it in MDR despite the fact it is standard in the WJ.

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

Biryani by its nature is usually fairly dry but I don’t doubt on the ship it had stood and dried out. On the menu it says it is served with daal which should have been more saucy. Was that missing or served separately?

I love raita and glad to see they are serving it as standard i have often had to request it in MDR despite the fact it is standard in the WJ.

Daal is the yogurt cucumber sauce.  It came with it but I didn’t like it.  Thats why i got plain yogurt, which worked.

6 minutes ago, Rogueperson said:

Daal is the yogurt cucumber sauce.  It came with it but I didn’t like it.  Thats why i got plain yogurt, which worked.

Yogurt based sauce, usually mint or cucumber, has always been raita to me.

For Daal, i would expect a split pea/ lentil curry, again like they serve in the WJ. seems like the menu wasn’t accurate. 

Was the roti available?

5 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Yogurt based sauce, usually mint or cucumber, has always been raita to me.

For Daal, i would expect a split pea/ lentil curry, again like they serve in the WJ. seems like the menu wasn’t accurate. 

Was the roti available?

Its Raita, not daal.  I couldn’t remember which it was.

1 hour ago, little britain said:

I just wish they would stop asking for our pudding order when they take our orders. I do not know until I’ve finished eating my main course whether I want it or have room for pudding!! 

They started that a few years ago to make dinner move faster.  One reason was that people complained they were missing shows.  With the size of the servings, I always have room for dessert.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rogueperson said:

To my eyes, it appeared like a dim white cloud.  Even these shapes were not seen until i saw these photos.

Seems to be a general consensus about this. I photo enhance everything I take once I'm home from a trip. Mac "Photos" is ok, but have to manually do one pic at a time. I still like an old software program called Nikon "pictureproject". Came with my 2003 imac (which I still use for this purpose along with the older version of garageband to do my guitar recordings. It'll auto-enhance any number of pictures. Once it gets started on however many pics are selected, it does its own thing. Then, I still go back and adjust sharpening, color, etc. I don't know of any way to adjust exposure once a picture's been taken, but it looks like your wife did a bit of enhancing with increased color, definition, brightness, contrast, and so forth. I like the "before" pic quite honestly 😁  Below is one that one of the passengers took on our Viking cruise. Obviously good equipment. Semi-professional photographer as I recall. I like how it picks up not just the NL but also mountains, town, water, etc. without losing focus on any of it. Always wondered, though, if he added some brightening to certain parts of the picture. The town buildings, for instance, look brighter than they should during an evening NL shot - almost like a late afternoon sun is on the town, so likely a good bit of enhancing in this as well. Still, makes for a cool picture. Almost has a oil painting quality to it.

1366693939_narvikauroraweb.thumb.jpg.2ae21b4d08f6ab15b7c8781ba99e2619.jpg

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 4

Found out something cool.  Not sure if its this cruise or something they do, but they opened up the upper level of the MDR up to 2:30 for games. 

This is wonderful because there is a serious lack of play areas for games.

We also got to do archery.  

IMG_3876.thumb.jpeg.e0cf68063649c2329d2d376b3220e18a.jpeg

I decided to register a complaint about the wifi for future cruises.  I could never find anyone at the Voom nor any hours of operations.

IMG_8772.thumb.jpeg.9f1d36ece311f6e3dec727ed6db6d2bb.jpeg

I finally decided to go to guest services where I told them my issue.  She typed up everything i said and then said she emailed IT but they should open at 5.  I told her that i had no idea when they opened and she said it should be posted.  No hours here nor the app.  I got there at 5 with a bunch of irate people waiting.  He was late.  When i talked to him, he said IT would contact me.  I’m like “aren’t YOU IT?”. And that was it.  He looked like he hated his job and I knew there’s not much he could do.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, little britain said:

We thought the Asian menu last night was one of the best. Food was hot - in both temperature and spice. My spring rolls were crispy- could have done with more satay sauce, dumplings good and king po chicken was delicious! 

Out of the various new menus I've tried so far, the Asian one is my favourite. I particularly liked the salmon teriyaki. Unfortunately, this menu doesn't show up very often.

I don't mind ordering dessert at the same time since I know I will always want it and make a point of leaving space for it. 😂

1 hour ago, Rogueperson said:

Found out something cool.  Not sure if its this cruise or something they do, but they opened up the upper level of the MDR up to 2:30 for games. 

This is wonderful because there is a serious lack of play areas for games.

We also got to do archery.  

IMG_3876.thumb.jpeg.e0cf68063649c2329d2d376b3220e18a.jpeg

I decided to register a complaint about the wifi for future cruises.  I could never find anyone at the Voom nor any hours of operations.

IMG_8772.thumb.jpeg.9f1d36ece311f6e3dec727ed6db6d2bb.jpeg

I finally decided to go to guest services where I told them my issue.  She typed up everything i said and then said she emailed IT but they should open at 5.  I told her that i had no idea when they opened and she said it should be posted.  No hours here nor the app.  I got there at 5 with a bunch of irate people waiting.  He was late.  When i talked to him, he said IT would contact me.  I’m like “aren’t YOU IT?”. And that was it.  He looked like he hated his job and I knew there’s not much he could do.

We were on Jewel last Nov out of PC.  The wifi was  down for most of  boarding day.  We were on a b2b with the first cruise being the first after a TA from Europe.  They had problems all the way across.  It was all the wifi, crew and guests.  I think they have some kind of wiring issue.  We've had no issue on other ships.

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Not that it matters if the person is not there but the hours are listed in the app: Click the ship icon -> Services -> Internet Assistance. Yes, the guy is clueless.

Thanks.  3 hours a day they are open.  So it was a crapshoot when i went down there.

Odd thing too.  Twice in the theater this cruise,  I was connected but had no data.  I leave the theater and when i reconnect, I need to log on again.  Weird.

This was tonight’s headliner.

IMG_8777.thumb.jpeg.4a551f32b85b9df37d0792c63fa60d3b.jpeg

IMG_8779.thumb.jpeg.c0853c151ff8125607eee698e37f2635.jpeg

Is it me or does his poster not look like him at all?

Anyways, his show was ridiculous and unexpected.  They just said he was an impressionist and thats it.  It was not what i expected, but then again, I had no real expectations.  I would say he was edgy because his act could have gone off the rails, but didn’t.  I should note that I had more fun then i expected for not knowing what to expect.  Thats a good thing.

Edited by Rogueperson
  • Like 1

Just now, Biker19 said:

No, that seems to be norm in the theater. 

This is the first time its happened to me, but then again, this is my first Starlink cruise.

I heard somewhere that the wiring on RC ships can’t handle the speeds of starlink or something like that.  Did you post something to that effext?  you’re like the IT guru here.

3 minutes ago, Rogueperson said:

Did you post something to that effext?  you’re like the IT guru here.

Starlink has no affect on the WiFi inside the ship which is the issue in the theater. We tried to use it almost every night on the TA - we could never get it to work reliably. Folks sailing Jewel are very lucky in that she is one of few ships on which the speeds have not been throttled to the usual 4Mbps and can be over 100Mbps. 

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Starlink has no affect on the WiFi inside the ship which is the issue in the theater. We tried to use it almost every night on the TA - we could never get it to work reliably. 

Maybe its faulty memory, but I feel like despite the earlier abysmally slow speed, the coverage was more consistent.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rogueperson said:

Maybe its faulty memory, but I feel like despite the earlier abysmally slow speed, the coverage was more consistent.  

It may also have something to do with where you sit and which WiFi access point you connect to.