A new perspective on Cabin Stewards not doing nightly turn down

amajaa

On 9/12/2023 at 11:32 PM, Ardennais said:

To reduce our carbon footprint, how about getting rid of tablecloths?! 

Or better still disgusting filthy cruise ships which pollute both air and sea.

https://www.businessinsider.com/cruise-ship-air-pollution-carnival-cars-europe-study-2023-6?amp

Edited by Chrisdriving
  • Haha 1

On 9/12/2023 at 8:00 PM, terrierjohn said:

But all cruise lines and hotels, will change your towels when you want them changing, you just need to leave them on the shower floor or in the bath.

So if you have a shower pre dinner and leave your towels on the floor of the shower the cabin steward will change them next morning on his cabin service. If you want a shower first thing in the morning when you get up you have to use the same towel used the night before. Personally never use a bath towel more than once after a bath/shower at home but unfortunately don't get the same with P&O.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, majortom10 said:

If you want a shower first thing in the morning when you get up you have to use the same towel used the night before. 

On embarkation when the cabin steward introduces themselves I simply ask they leave two sets of towels when they service the cabin each morning.

And there is never even a murmur let alone a quibble or argument about them doing that.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 9/13/2023 at 5:42 AM, Ginb56 said:

Another thing we miss from nightly turndown is the little card reminding you to change your clock that night. Wish they’d maybe leave it in the morning for the coming night…

Currently there’s the clocks instruction line at the bottom of Horizon front page which is easily missed - I’ve had several elderly people ask me what the real time is as they didn’t realise our zone had changed the night before and no tannoy message noticed either, by me or them.

Why the Horizon designer doesn’t now do it as a bold flash across the front corner of the relevant day news sheet, I don’t know…

On which cruise did you not have the cards alerting you to clock changes? I've been on Aurora, Ventura, Iona and Azura since the cancellation of nightly turndown and always had the cards when the clocks have changed.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, EM35 said:

On which cruise did you not have the cards alerting you to clock changes? I've been on Aurora, Ventura, Iona and Azura since the cancellation of nightly turndown and always had the cards when the clocks have changed.

Britannia May half term no cards and no warning. No mention at the evening meal and we only noticed as it was on the newsletter in small print. Same on the way back ..  nothing in the cabin. 

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

Britannia May half term no cards and no warning. No mention at the evening meal and we only noticed as it was on the newsletter in small print. Same on the way back ..  nothing in the cabin. 

So strange how simple things like this are not consistent across the fleet. 

When we were on Arvia a few weeks back there were plenty of reminders to change your clocks fwd and back. The horizon, on the TV (Which was the beat TV  we have had at sea with choice of programmes and films), bridge broadcasts as well. So the cards in the room a waste of card, ink and energy IMO.

As for cabin dress down in evening. No issues for us i can pull my duvet back not a problem and hang towel to dry for a max 24 hrs. 

We often saw our cabin steward late afternoon around the open decks helping to tidy up the mess left by some entitled lazy people. Picking up used towels, empty dishes etc.

• Like 1

Our cabin steward was used as meeter-greeter at the door of the Zenith restaurant in the evening. Many others were used to take you to your table and resulted in a couple of laps of MDR because the majority hadn't got a clue where the tables were and how they were numbered.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, majortom10 said:

So if you have a shower pre dinner and leave your towels on the floor of the shower the cabin steward will change them next morning on his cabin service. If you want a shower first thing in the morning when you get up you have to use the same towel used the night before. Personally never use a bath towel more than once after a bath/shower at home but unfortunately don't get the same with P&O.

I personally think that's a bit OTT, we wash towels at home once a week, and I have never thought we were a mucky family.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I personally think that's a bit OTT, we wash towels at home once a week, and I have never thought we were a mucky family.

I personally can’t imagine using towels for a whole week before washing them. As I’ve said before, we have a good reason for washing ours after every shower. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

We all have own thoughts on changing towels, clothes etc.  I have always changed the towels daily at home simply because they have been used and will have bits of flaking skin and hairs on them. 

Perhaps the fact that we were both brought up by nurses, who insisted that towels and clothes needed to be  changed daily because they gather germs during the course of the day has a bearing on what we do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

The towels don't dry properly between being used in the evening and then again the following morning when they are hung on the narrow racks in the cabin bathroom that only has a limited amount of ventilation.

And so given the vast vast amount of laundry the ship is doing - how many thousands of pool towels are laundered every day - then asking for a a laundered towel or two is quite reasonable.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Pippa04 said:

I feel there is more of a mould problem in cabin bathrooms these days and attribute this to damp towels being left in them overnight. 

This topic was kind of covered in another thread many moons ago about how many showers a day people had. A considerable number had three or four a day. First thing in the morning, when coming back on board after a port day, before dinner and before bed.

The bathroom will never get a chance to dry out, never mind the towels. At home the bathroom door stays open (unless in use) to dry out. That is not really an option on board.

Edited by FangedRose

17 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Sorry but it is a personal thing but hand towels yes are washed more infrequently but bath towels once used after a shower or bath are only used the once and then washed.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, FangedRose said:

This topic was kind of covered in another thread many moons ago about how many showers a day people had. A considerable number had three or four a day. First thing in the morning, when coming back on board after a port day, before dinner and before bed.

The bathroom will never get a chance to dry out, never mind the towels. At home the bathroom door stays open (unless in use) to dry out. That is not really an option on board.

I'm not sure that 3 or 4 showers a day is actually good for your skin, isn't it supposed to dry it out. Apparently it strips your skin of important oils and can cause dry itchy skin.  Plus not good for the environment.

On the other hand having showers/baths infrequently can cause infections etc. When you think back to years ago when people got the tin bath out and the whole family used the same water, other days they just had a wash.  Thank goodness for modern bathrooms. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, amajaa said:

I'm not sure that 3 or 4 showers a day is actually good for your skin, isn't it supposed to dry it out. Apparently it strips your skin of important oils and can cause dry itchy skin.  Plus not good for the environment.

On the other hand having showers/baths infrequently can cause infections etc. When you think back to years ago when people got the tin bath out and the whole family used the same water, other days they just had a wash.  Thank goodness for modern bathrooms. 

I agree. That many showers a day can not be good for the individual or the environment (especially if they insist on a clean towel every time too). If you factor in the time it takes to change, shower, dry, reapply lotion etc, and dress it's getting on for the best part of two hours a day. I've better things to do on holiday!

I remember the days of one bath a week (not sharing the water, except maybe with my brother when little), and a "flannel wash" in between. I don't remember the flannel getting changed daily either!

• Like 3

20 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Sorry but it is a personal thing but hand towels yes are washed more infrequently but bath towels once used after a shower or bath are only used the once and then washed.

Have you got that the right way round? Surely hand towels should be changed more frequently! If you use a flannel or sponge in the shower all skin flakes are removed then and washed away. That is not true when washing hands and therefore skin flakes are transferred to the hand towel. It is more important to keep your hands clean than other parts of your body surely?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FangedRose said:

Have you got that the right way round? Surely hand towels should be changed more frequently! If you use a flannel or sponge in the shower all skin flakes are removed then and washed away. That is not true when washing hands and therefore skin flakes are transferred to the hand towel. It is more important to keep your hands clean than other parts of your body surely?

Well I agree with you as I use the hand towels to wash my face so change frequently. The hand towels in the downstairs look are used for hands only though but still changed more often. 

3 hours ago, FangedRose said:

I agree. That many showers a day can not be good for the individual or the environment (especially if they insist on a clean towel every time too). If you factor in the time it takes to change, shower, dry, reapply lotion etc, and dress it's getting on for the best part of two hours a day. I've better things to do on holiday!

I remember the days of one bath a week (not sharing the water, except maybe with my brother when little), and a "flannel wash" in between. I don't remember the flannel getting changed daily either!

I can't actually remember having a tin bath in the kitchen but remember my Mum talking about it, but yes I shared the one bath a week with my twin sister until we got to about 11 I think. 

Staying clean: the basics
wash their face every day. have a bath or shower at least twice a week. brush their teeth twice a day.

From the NHS!

I shower once a day and use the minimum soap or some days just rinse. To much washing damages your benificial skin bacteria so you start smelling bad so you use deodorant etc which makes it worse.

• Like 1