Art/Craft Classes being removed?

FangedRose

There were two young men running Creative Waves on Iona last month. I only attended one session, and to be honest, it was the sort of thing that Early Years would do! Basically cutting bits from the daily Horizon and maps of ports and sticking them on a black piece of paper. Nothing like the proper craft classes we had on our long Ventura trip a few years ago. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I do hope Aurora has craft AND painting classes in September. It’s my first P&O cruise for a couple of years.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Host Sharon said:

I do hope Aurora has craft AND painting classes in September. It’s my first P&O cruise for a couple of years.

Nice to hear from you. I'm glad you are able to cruise again 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Host Sharon said:

They didn't in April/May. Just the 'creative waves" sessions.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, FangedRose said:

They didn't in April/May. Just the 'creative waves" sessions.

That may be the final straw. 

I enjoy various crafts and have often gone to the classes but if they have been dumbed down on P&O, I won't  bother. 

It may be a general policy on Carnival lines because in March I went to the first class and it was sticking bits of paper on card to make "an abstract greetings card" I left it on the table and didn't bother to go to the other 2 sessions.

1 hour ago, LittleTinker said:

Most of the crafts are babyish.
At least with the Art you learnt something,

Bitterly disappointed its been removed.

From what I can remember (I didn't attend any, just remembering what I read in The Horizon) there was glass painting, origami, card making and such like. It was things that could be fitted into a 45 minute slot with no continuity between sessions.

I attended one of the classes on Britannia in September and it consisted of making you own postcard or card and some napkin folding.

It is the only one I went to, but my DIL's nephew went to some of the others.
Two I remember were painting in the dark, (neon paints) and painting on glass, where a sheet of plastic was put over one of the windows for painting on. All, in my opinion, aimed at children.

3 hours ago, FangedRose said:

From what I can remember (I didn't attend any, just remembering what I read in The Horizon) there was glass painting, origami, card making and such like. It was things that could be fitted into a 45 minute slot with no continuity between sessions.

Yes, a waste of time.

• Haha 1

Just returned from a cruise on Britannia and attended several Creative Waves sessions. I did water colours, sketching the horizon and life drawing (the fully clothed guitarist was the model and played songs throughout). There were also crafts but I only tried macrame which went well. Overall I think there was a good range of things, aimed at all skills and ages, but a lot were on port days when we went ashore.

However there aren't many suitable venues for this sort of thing, especially the painting = the water colour session was absolutely rammed and we were spilling out into the blue bar, where we couldn't actually take advantage of the tuition.

I'd been hoping for a cruise choir or at least Vocal Training which I did last year on Arvia. The art sessions went some way to making up for the disappointment but I hope they haven't ditched that completely

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, F-s Islander said:

Just returned from a cruise on Britannia and attended several Creative Waves sessions. I did water colours, sketching the horizon and life drawing (the fully clothed guitarist was the model and played songs throughout). There were also crafts but I only tried macrame which went well. Overall I think there was a good range of things, aimed at all skills and ages, but a lot were on port days when we went ashore.

However there aren't many suitable venues for this sort of thing, especially the painting = the water colour session was absolutely rammed and we were spilling out into the blue bar, where we couldn't actually take advantage of the tuition.

I'd been hoping for a cruise choir or at least Vocal Training which I did last year on Arvia. The art sessions went some way to making up for the disappointment but I hope they haven't ditched that completely

There isnt anything wrong with any of the hobbies but there isnt enough time to do anything of any value.
On the longer cruises, there used to be watercolour lessons and everyone produced really great pictures that were then displayed for all to see.

The very fact that the water colour sessions were "rammed" speaks volumes..

I wish theyd bring them back.

• Like 3

To be fair we only had an hour, but some people were producing some really good paintings..

I did feel I learnt basic macrame, which I had never done before, but would have preferred more painting sessions in a better venue. It would also be better if you could book in advance, as you would a restaurant, to ensure numbers are controlled

• Like 1

Only karaoke as far as I know, and one of those was held so late that most people had left the bar and they didn't get much interest. The entertainment team were having to fill the gaps.

Having a choir is a really good way of bringing people together and the performance at the end of the cruise is always popular. 

The passenger choir is a huge part of my onboard enjoyment. Fortunately, there was a good one on Aurora in April and I am hoping for similar on Arcadia in September. Friends will be on Britannia in August and I know they will be disappointed if there is no choir.

29 minutes ago, Slugsta said:

The passenger choir is a huge part of my onboard enjoyment. Fortunately, there was a good one on Aurora in April and I am hoping for similar on Arcadia in September. Friends will be on Britannia in August and I know they will be disappointed if there is no choir.

What songs did you sing on Aurora?

On 6/5/2024 at 1:43 PM, Ardennais said:

There were two young men running Creative Waves on Iona last month. I only attended one session, and to be honest, it was the sort of thing that Early Years would do! Basically cutting bits from the daily Horizon and maps of ports and sticking them on a black piece of paper. Nothing like the proper craft classes we had on our long Ventura trip a few years ago. 

That sounds like a miss Marple. Can't remember which one. Moving finger ??.

• Haha 1

I was going to say they were on Aurora at Easter and Britannia last week but they were the ‘Waves’ ones and I didn’t go. Seems sad if they’ve been dumbed down.

On 9/13/2023 at 10:08 PM, Interestedcruisefan said:

Where do the classes happen?

Never seen these promoted before on Arvia or Iona?

Must have missed them?

Hi, I noticed these in Amber Lounge deck 6 on Arvia. Not something I take part in but one day something caught my eye in the sea. When I went to look through the window there was a little area with chairs reserved for this event at 2pm I think it was? I then noticed it in the Horizon itinerary. Sorry if someone else already replied but haven't read the whole post.

On 6/21/2024 at 10:01 PM, LittleTinker said:

What songs did you sing on Aurora?

Any dream will do

There is nothing like a dame (men only)

I'm gonna wash that man right out of my hair (ladies only)

Bring him home

Can you feel the love tonight

Ave verum corpus

Can't help falling in love with you

When the foeman bares his steel

Thank you for the music

It was an 18 night cruise with about 8 sea days.

8 hours ago, Slugsta said:

Any dream will do

Bring him home

Ave verum corpus

Thank you for the music

Brilliant...sounds great.
I hope to join in a later cruise on Aurora....24 nights

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Slugsta said:

Any dream will do

Bring him home

Ave verum corpus

Thank you for the music

As long as they don't sing Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. We hate that so much. My daughter and I sang the rude  version last time we were on Aurora. It was a big choir so we got away with it. Your selection sounds nice and might tempt me back to the choir.