Casual Dining Changes

Lilsalmon

On 9/21/2023 at 8:25 AM, MissP22 said:

They seem to be doing everything they can to influence all the passengers to purchase the Plus package. So far we can still avoid their expensive add on since we have our own ways of avoiding the extras without affecting our enjoyment.

I believe they are trying to direct the passengers to the Premier Package not just the Plus package.

• Like 2

On 9/21/2023 at 10:59 AM, ExploringTheGlobe said:

I'm pleased with the changes because now I don't have to pay for venues I used to pay for, such as Ocean Terrace!  It's really made it a more inclusive experience for me! 

You must have Premier then?

On 9/15/2023 at 7:44 PM, Lilsalmon said:

Perhaps I've missed this someplace else but has anyone else experienced a change post booking their princess cruise? When we booked Casual Dining Restaurants were included. Then we received a notification that Casual Dining is now a perk of the Princess Plus (at two dinners for Plus) and Premier (unlimited). We already have the Plus package as we wanted internet and the drink package but we are quite miffed that something that was included and unlimited when we paid is now limited. 

Has anyone noticed this and as put out as us? How can they just change what our booking includes last min? It doesn't seem legal to me. For reference we are booked on a 23 day cruise and only 2 included casual dining restaurants seems pretty limited. 

I must have missed something as I only knew of one Casual Dining Restaurant that was included (free)  -  either Alfredo's or Gigi  with the name depending on the ship you were on.  We have only been to Planks that did have a charge but now   that we get 2 of any of the Casual Dining venues free with Plus, we will give the others a try.

Edited by coo359a2

6 minutes ago, coo359a2 said:

I must have missed something as I only knew of one Casual Dining Restaurant that was included (free)  -  either Alfredo's or Gigi  with the name depending on the ship you were on.  We have only been to Planks that did have a charge but now   that we get 2 of any of the Casual Dining venues free with Plus, we will give the others a try.

No you are correct the only free casual venue was the pizzeria which does not exist on all ships 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, suzyed said:

I don't either.
Let's just say that now Princess has not decided that the IC is no longer free....will folks forget about it and  "move on"?  

That would really be irritating since I go there for warm Danish in the morning and they don't heat the elsewhere.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

They're all getting greedy. 

I know since we do cruise the others each year, too. Celebrity, MSC, NCL, RCI.

At least RCI put out a survey and asked if we would accept it. The results were negative to charging for pizza. Thus, RCI did NOT start charging for pizza. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Oxo said:

At least RCI put out a survey and asked if we would accept it. The results were negative to charging for pizza. Thus, RCI did NOT start charging for pizza. 

I would add “yet” at the end of that sentence. I think we will see some changes to the Sorrentos offering, including upcharge items, before too long. Some free items (limited, maybe simple slices of cheese, pepperoni and a daily special) and a good number of a’la carte items may be the direction they go in.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Oxo said:

I know since we do cruise the others each year, too. Celebrity, MSC, NCL, RCI.

True, but at the same time increased the prices of their specialty restaurants significantly. 

In response to the above posts about other cruise lines.

I only post that information to let others who may not cruise the other lines of what is happening in the industry.

I am not loyal to anyone line.

I cruise based on ports!

Like they say in Jamaica

POOO POOO HAPPENS.

What is posted this minute may change the next.

Happy Cruising! 

21 hours ago, suzyed said:

I don't either.
Let's just say that now Princess has not decided that the IC is no longer free....will folks forget about it and  "move on"?  

Int Cafe becomes a pay for and think that would be the last straw. Still not happy they took away the swap for coffee card for elites.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Micahs Grandad said:

Int Cafe becomes a pay for and think that would be the last straw. Still not happy they took away the swap for coffee card for elites.

That was a hard pill to swallow. 

And when you actually add up the $$, how much did it actually cost them considering that you had to give them back the complete setup in exchange for the 15 cups of coffee. 😒

• Like 1

This move toward less included dining and other items that were previously included reminds me of EasyCruise line, where they tried à la carte pricing on everything onboard to attract a younger crowd.  They lasted about five years.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 1

On 9/16/2023 at 11:49 AM, skynight said:

Did you have the $50 plus fare? When Princess made the switch to charging for casual dining, basically Alfredo's, they only included those who had paid the $60 plus fare. To my way of thinking this was a poor customer relations move to not grandfather in all plus fares. 

We have the £50 plus package for our May Sky cruise, which is equivalent to the $60 one, although we booked on a 50% off offer. 

However on checking our package on the medallion app, it does state that we need to pay extra to receive all the new benefits of the plus package.

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

And when you actually add up the $$, how much did it actually cost them considering that you had to give them back the complete setup in exchange for the 15 cups of coffee. 😒

For the liquor set up would think most would take home the little bottles not used. We took advantage of the coffee but probably never used up all 15.

55 minutes ago, Micahs Grandad said:

For the liquor set up would think most would take home the little bottles not used. We took advantage of the coffee but probably never used up all 15.

At home, other than a sip of a liqueur occasionally, we aren't big drinkers. Over the years we've brought home numerous little bottles from the setups and they're slowly evaporating. 😄 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

This move toward less included dining and other items that were previously included reminds me of EasyCruise line, where they tried à la carte pricing on everything onboard to attract a younger crowd.  They lasted about five years.

The plus and Premiere packages are the complete opposite of a la carte.  They are making it less attractive to go a la carte, which sucks for the people who were very frugal with their a la carte choices.

However, they do not care.  The more people who go inclusive packaging, the better their profit margins.  As a cruiser, it is sad.  As a shareholder, I understand.  Gotta do what they gotta do after COVID losses 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I think that you meant 15 specialty coffees...? which would be closer to $60-ish, but I could be wrong...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jwattle said:

I think that you meant 15 specialty coffees...? which would be closer to $60-ish, but I could be wrong...

True, but when we received those coffee cards I think the specialty coffee's were probably half that price.