Dress code in the dining room

16 hours ago, Qwltngcruiser said:

…I’ve read that the dress codes on some cruise lines aren’t very strict. What is it like on Royal (the Jewel specifically)

Lucky you.....Royal has NO DRESS CODE! They have some suggestions to help people that wonder what to wear....but it is all up to you!👍

• Like 2

if you demand no shorts you gotta go to NCL. but takes less than 60 seconds to reach any table in MDR so you only see the ugly legs for that time. and thats if you are glaring at every person that walks by instead of paying attention to your own party and meal. 

though i do like the power i have over everyone. i wear shorts and it destroys strangers entire cruise. i let my gf walk in front of me with her beautiful dress. no one complains about her legs. maybe they will miss mine.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, pinnacleguy2023 said:

it takes the same amount of time to put on pants vs putting on shorts idk why people hate the idea of wearing pants to dinner.. just cover up simple... i dont wear ties or suits at dinner.. i wear a polo pants and shoes simple and easy and COVERED up. whats the issue???

Um, my post never suggested I was going to wear shorts.  Did you even read the entire post?  I wasn’t asking about having to “cover up”. I think you’re confused on what the original question was. And no one said anything about the time it took to change either. 

1 hour ago, pinnacleguy2023 said:

it takes the same amount of time to put on some pants vs putting on shorts. whats the big deal???

It’s the child response “no I don’t want to”

Nice clean shorts should be fine but wearing the same ones all day and then going to dinner seems a bit way too lazy and also means perhaps no shower either 

23 hours ago, Qwltngcruiser said:

New cruisers here……I’ve read that the dress codes on some cruise lines aren’t very strict. What is it like on Royal (the Jewel specifically)?  My husband wants to pack into a carry-on only (one for each of us) and we will be dressing in long sleeve sporty shirts and technical pants with tennis shoes for most of the days of our trip. Are those inappropriate for the dining room?  How fancy is the formal night?  

My husband has to keep his food mostly salt-free. We don’t want to have to eat in the buffet most of the time, because they can’t accommodate him there and we can’t eat salt-free when in port for lunches. We need to figure out just how much dressier stuff we will need to take so we can fit it all in. 

What you are describing to wear will be fine, and you will fit in just fine. Don't stress too much about it, and just have a great time.

21 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I think someone doesn't know the meaning of the word"representative". That picture is a narrow sampling presented to further your particular view.  Representative is defined as typical or group.  That is not typical.  That is the lowest standard possible.

OP: You will see a sampling of all kinds of dress on formal nights.  Please be courteous and at least try to be neat.

Almost 100 cruises, and I find that picture absolutely representative of every Royal Caribbean cruise I have ever been on. It is typical on RCI. 🤷‍♂️    

The lowest standard possible would be nude. Just sayin...

Edited by Mikew0805
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, pinnacleguy2023 said:

it takes the same amount of time to put on pants vs putting on shorts idk why people hate the idea of wearing pants to dinner.. just cover up simple... i dont wear ties or suits at dinner.. i wear a polo pants and shoes simple and easy and COVERED up. whats the issue???

Its about COMFORT, not TIME.  What do you not like about guys' legs?  I am assuming you're not complaining if women wear a skirt that stops above their knees.

If you can't say whats wrong with it, maybe you should re-examine why you're so insistent on guys "covering up".  Or, simply focus on your table mates.  Their legs will be covered because they're under the table.

So I ask you, "What's the issue"?

22 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

image.png.0fa513ca85c3361176fd3c9593a9c74a.png

Is this really formal night? I don't think I have seen such a small line with so little people on any ship since we started cruising 15 years ago. 

Everything about this photo would be completely different in Europe with the size of the queue and the style of dress but hey people can wear what they want I don't care. I'm curious though why the guy has chosen to carry a completely full backpack to dinner.

Edited by Tin can
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Husky1987 said:

And this is because, despite the anti-shorts crowd yelling from their rooftops stuck in the 1950's, the only clothing explicitly mentioned in the "dress code" as unacceptable at dinner in the MDR is:

"Main Dining Room/Specialty Dining Venues

Bare feet are not allowed at any time in any venue and tank tops are not permitted in the Main Dining Room or Specialty Dining venues for dinner."

For my upcoming cruise (LotS), the RCI app describes the MDR dress code as follows:

"Bare feet, shorts, caps, and tank tops are not allowed in in dining rooms and specialty restaurants at dinner time; lunchtime guests can dress more casual [sic], including polos and shorts for males"

It seems that both dress codes and enforcement can vary from ship to ship.  Despite what the above says, I think there's almost no chance that it would be enforced.  I last saw a passenger turned away from the MDR for wearing shorts (on formal night) in January 2020.

7 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

if you demand no shorts you gotta go to NCL.

On all of the new bigger NCL ships, shorts are allowed in all restaurants for all meals except the French and Seafood specialty restaurants where gents are asked to wear long pants (dockers or jeans are fine). So, on NCL, shorts are allowed and encouraged (Freestyle) in all Main Dining Rooms on newer ships. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

On all of the new bigger NCL ships, shorts are allowed in all restaurants for all meals except the French and Seafood specialty restaurants where gents are asked to wear long pants (dockers or jeans are fine). So, on NCL, shorts are allowed and encouraged (Freestyle) in all Main Dining Rooms on newer ships. 

1st night i wore shorts in the french place no problem. yup i intentionally booked it 1st night because i knew shorts were allowed. i never wear jeans or other long pants on cruises. am not bringing one pair for a meal when they come off immediately after. but i'm not a woman that changes 3 times a day either.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

It’s the child response “no I don’t want to”

Nice clean shorts should be fine but wearing the same ones all day and then going to dinner seems a bit way too lazy and also means perhaps no shower either 

We've sat in the DL before supper having a drink with a couple who was on the same shore excursion we were on. We all took the same elevator down to the MDR. They walked into the MDR ahead of us. They were wearing the same clothes (long pants and short sleeved shirts) on the shore excursion. Very nice couple. He was a retired postal worker (walking route). Lots of funny stories. 

Edited by doghog

19 minutes ago, PompeySailor said:

Enjoy your cruise, don’t sweat the small stuff - dress comfortably

Above if the perfect post. Come join us for dinner! It's Sunday, can I get an amen?

Thirty-six cruises on the funnel folks and we thought it was confined to Funship Freddy until...

We returned to Royal to make the fabulous Emerald Level after a decade away for Alaska on the Quantum in June and it was the same. Shorts for every night in the MDR for many.

Here is the common denominator; if I am sitting at a table with shorts and a polo shirt and you are sitting at your table with the ones you love you should seriously consider not looking under the table and staring at my legs. Food tastes the same regardless of what I wear, and your price for the vacation does not go up based on the length of my leg coverings. Talk to your family, not about mine.

Let me put this in perspective; I travel one hundred nights a year on business, and have done so for three decades. Business casual has taken over my corporate meetings and airplanes are a free for all.

Tonight I am sitting with a lap desk recovering from bladder cancer surgery on Friday. We are working on the details for our cruise on the Icon to celebrate. You'd bet shorts and boat shoes along with a polo or Tommy Bahama shirt will be the norm for me on non dress up nights. For those a pair of khakis will need to do. If that bothers you and you are at the table with my wife and I the problem looks at you in the mirror.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BallFour4 said:

Above if the perfect post. Come join us for dinner! It's Sunday, can I get an amen?

Thirty-six cruises on the funnel folks and we thought it was confined to Funship Freddy until...

We returned to Royal to make the fabulous Emerald Level after a decade away for Alaska on the Quantum in June and it was the same. Shorts for every night in the MDR for many.

Here is the common denominator; if I am sitting at a table with shorts and a polo shirt and you are sitting at your table with the ones you love you should seriously consider not looking under the table and staring at my legs. Food tastes the same regardless of what I wear, and your price for the vacation does not go up based on the length of my leg coverings. Talk to your family, not about mine.

Let me put this in perspective; I travel one hundred nights a year on business, and have done so for three decades. Business casual has taken over my corporate meetings and airplanes are a free for all.

Tonight I am sitting with a lap desk recovering from bladder cancer surgery on Friday. We are working on the details for our cruise on the Icon to celebrate. You'd bet shorts and boat shoes along with a polo or Tommy Bahama shirt will be the norm for me on non dress up nights. For those a pair of khakis will need to do. If that bothers you and you are at the table with my wife and I the problem looks at you in the mirror.

People ask how I only need a carry on for a 7 day cruise 

Polos and Tommy - Designed for cruising 

Dinner for 4 would be our pleasure 😉

Edited by PompeySailor

12 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

if you demand no shorts you gotta go to NCL. but takes less than 60 seconds to reach any table in MDR so you only see the ugly legs for that time. and thats if you are glaring at every person that walks by instead of paying attention to your own party and meal. 

though i do like the power i have over everyone. i wear shorts and it destroys strangers entire cruise. i let my gf walk in front of me with her beautiful dress. no one complains about her legs. maybe they will miss mine.

the thing is, it is not only men that might have ugly legs. Some women do too. So, women should have to either wear a full length skirt/dress or wear pants, you know, to cover up their ugly legs

• Haha 1