09/02 Legend not so Greenland cruise

Yehootu

6 hours ago, Yehootu said:

Heard from a family member that this cruise was a cluster? Weather does change itineraries, but was said not too great froma Carnival loyalist. Just asking.

There is a "live" thread that @jimbo5544 was diligent about keeing us updated on over the course of that cruise.

On 9/17/2023 at 2:18 AM, Yehootu said:

Heard from a family member that this cruise was a cluster? Weather does change itineraries, but was said not too great froma Carnival loyalist. Just asking.

There were certainly some unhappy people on the cruise once it was announced we were not going to Greenland.   Mostly over on FB, there developed splinter groups frustrated with response on timeliness of announcements from the Captain, and MOSTLY in regards to lack of what they thought was minimal offer from Carnival for missing the key portion of the cruise.  What they offered was $400/cabin, think most wanted some FCC.  

Personal thoughts are that it was a very fluid issue, multiple hurricanes that impacted the front and end of our journey.  Certainly was a cruise to remember, but wanted it to be so much more.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Greenland seems so weather dependent that I am very hesitant in booking a cruise if that's the only port I'm excited about. I have a B2B booked on another line where one of the sailings is a Grenland one. Currently there isn't much overlap between the 2 but that might change if Greenland is missed. I have a while to make up my mind though or look for trip insurance that pays well for missed ports.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, reeinaz said:

Greenland seems so weather dependent that I am very hesitant in booking a cruise if that's the only port I'm excited about. I have a B2B booked on another line where one of the sailings is a Grenland one. Currently there isn't much overlap between the 2 but that might change if Greenland is missed. I have a while to make up my mind though or look for trip insurance that pays well for missed ports.

Def something to consider 

30 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

There were certainly some unhappy people on the cruise once it was announced we were not going to Greenland.   Mostly over on FB, there developed splinter groups frustrated with response on timeliness of announcements from the Captain, and MOSTLY in regards to lack of what they thought was minimal offer from Carnival for missing the key portion of the cruise.  What they offered was $400/cabin, think most wanted some FCC.  

Personal thoughts are that it was a very fluid issue, multiple hurricanes that impacted the front and end of our journey.  Certainly was a cruise to remember, but wanted it to be so much more.

Did Carnival at least give you guys on this trip fist shot at booking a Greenland trip for next year? When this one was first announced (not that I would have been able to go), one of my first thoughts was concern over storms preventing the Greenland port stops being that it was Sept

3 hours ago, ngrund said:

Did Carnival at least give you guys on this trip fist shot at booking a Greenland trip for next year? When this one was first announced (not that I would have been able to go), one of my first thoughts was concern over storms preventing the Greenland port stops being that it was Sept

No.

3 hours ago, ngrund said:

Next year's Greenland cruises have been available for booking for a long time now, at least a year or so. There's no way they could have first shot at them by this point.

2 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

So the Greenland cruise didn't go to Greenland? 😮 And they only offered $400 per cabin as recompense?

Correct. My mother was on the cruise, and everyone was rather disappointed. Many even left the ship early to head home and avoid Hurricane Lee. $400/cabin credit was very disappointing for the passengers. Disappointing to spend the time and money to go to Greenland, and not be able to do so and get just $200 a person on-board credit seemed like a slap in the face.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, DeezCruises said:

Correct. My mother was on the cruise, and everyone was rather disappointed. Many even left the ship early to head home and avoid Hurricane Lee. $400/cabin credit was very disappointing for the passengers. Disappointing to spend the time and money to go to Greenland, and not be able to do so and get just $200 a person on-board credit seemed like a slap in the face.

I agree.  I remember pricing those cruises and they were incredibly pricey...like 6k-8k for a balcony and 10k+ for a suite. Even the inside rooms were 4k-5k. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

I agree.  I remember pricing those cruises and they were incredibly pricey...like 6k-8k for a balcony and 10k+ for a suite. Even the inside rooms were 4k-5k. 

That’s why I booked Royal. It was 1/2 the price. My friends switched. On the Jewel now and expected in Nuuk on Wed.

50 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

I think that was rather generous, considering that it wasn't Carnival's fault that they couldn't make the port.

The Greenland cruises are crazy expensive,  I know because we're booked on one next year. In 2019, we were booked on the Sunrise from NYC to Bermuda. Because of a hurricane,  we were diverted to Charleston. We received a 100% FCC which was very generous. Not saying that they should get the same for missing Greenland, which was the whole point of the cruise, but $400 OBC per cabin was a little chintzy.

• Like 7

12 hours ago, ngrund said:

Not to date

I was on the NCL Star last year, a 10 day cruise to Iceland and Greenland, 3 ports at each country. We missed 1 port at each country, so ended up being 4 ports total in 10 days. This was July 2022. And yes, the Greenland cruises are extremely expensive, and for us, it was my bucket list 40th bday cruise. For context, with the free at sea package on NCL, club balcony suite, military discount and 10% off due to cancelled cruise, we paid about $3700 for the two of us. The highest I ever priced out our room category was $11,000 for two people. 

This is NOT a Carnival problem. There are numerous cruise lines that miss ports in Greenland due to the weather. We had to go extremely slow after leaving Nuuk due to the fog and the icebergs, plus heading into the Artic Circle towards Akeuyri, Iceland, was extremely rocky. We received NO port fees back or any OBC for missing 2 ports. 

The cruise before us missed Greenland entirely due to the weather and went to Norway instead. I believe they received a 30% FCC, if I remember currently. 

If you do choose to do Greenland, I encourage everybody to realize that it MAY get canceled, some or if not all the ports. That is something that the cruise lines DO NOT tell you, either Carnival or NCL. 

Additionally, the Wi-Fi on these cruises are awful. It is sporadic due to the position of the satellites...they also do not tell you that!

2 hours ago, Pyxie said:

I'm booked on this cruise next year and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit nervous now.

Past results are no guarantee of future performance. It could go off without a hitch on the next cruise.

Ship happens anywhere in the world, with any cruise. 

I generally agree that the "compensation" from Carnival was a bit lackluster, but passenger, crew and ship safety come first. They aren't required to provide any compensation based on weather, but they did make a marginal effort to appease the masses, since Greenland was the whole point of the cruise. Could they have done more? Yeah, probably. But cruising during hurricane season comes with risks anywhere in the (geographical) North Atlantic or (geographical) North Pacific. Caribbean, Bermuda, Baja Mexico, Hawaii, Canada and New England are all at risk of itinerary alterations.

They are damned if they do and damned if they don't. If they make an itinerary change due to weather, half the passengers will have a problem with it. If they go through the weather and it is rough and crazy in an attempt to complete the scheduled itinerary, the other half of the passengers will have a problem with it. At the end of the day, safety trumps customer service. 

We have this cruise booked as well in May of next year. We will be equally mentally and physically prepared for Greenland/Canada and a Bahamas/Caribbean cruise. 

Edited by stobe1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, crazycatlady82 said:

The cruise before us missed Greenland entirely due to the weather and went to Norway instead. I believe they received a 30% FCC, if I remember currently. 

I think if people had received a 30 percent FCC and alternative ports, they would have been a heck of a lot happier than a pittance of $200 per person OBC.

Edited by Eli_6
  • Like 3