San Diego Cruise Port

jmc27

Thanks CruiserBruce, we embark on 11/25 in San Diego.  Like OP, curious as to how early we could drop off bags.  We also have a pre cruise hotel, so might just hang out at our hotel, but would like to explore San Diego a bit.  It helps to be informed.

The port opens at 10:30. Last year they were allowing porters to pick up luggage after 9:30 but this year could be different because it depends on Union rules.  
your luggage cannot be mixed up with off loading bags as offloading bags are inside the terminal.  
also there is still construction on the pier which could be a hold up. 
10:30 is a better time to drop off your bags. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys - we are staying near Airport the night before so will plan on arriving around 11.30 to give us a few hours to walk about - our check in is 2.30pm. Hopefully that should all work out. Really looking forward to our cruise , longest we have been on(34 days) to date. Happy cruising everyone and thanks for the info

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Banditswife said:

Thanks CruiserBruce, we embark on 11/25 in San Diego.  Like OP, curious as to how early we could drop off bags.  We also have a pre cruise hotel, so might just hang out at our hotel, but would like to explore San Diego a bit.  It helps to be informed.

Personally, I’d trust the hotel to hold my luggage before I’d trust the port workers with all that chaos on a transition date. 

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Personally, I’d trust the hotel to hold my luggage before I’d trust the port workers with all that chaos on a transition date. 

It will probably depend on hotel check out time & our boarding time.  We get in before 10 AM the day prior, so may be able to do some sight seeing then.

7 hours ago, jmc27 said:

Really looking forward to our cruise , longest we have been on(34 days) to date. Happy cruising everyone and thanks for the info

Are you on Noordam for the San Diego to Sydney cruise?  We went on that last year and it was one of the best experiences of my life.  I hope you enjoy it as much.

As for the port, it was a mess last year.  I hope it was post-COVID start-up issues and that they've been resolved by now.

I've just returned from a trip to the port.  Construction continues on the south side of the terminal.  As of this moment....there is only one entry/exit gate.  It will be chaotic next few weeks for sure!  

There are thousands of square feet of the parking lot needing reinforcing steel rods and concrete.

With any luck the project will be completed by Thanksgiving weekend.

David

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Banditswife said:

It will probably depend on hotel check out time & our boarding time.  We get in before 10 AM the day prior, so may be able to do some sight seeing then.

The majority of hotels will hold luggage.   Definitely would leave it at the hotel rather than waste time to go down to the pier and try and hand it over.   Which hotel are you staying at?

On 9/28/2023 at 4:30 PM, Crew News said:

I will be boarding next Friday and will report on the process.

@Crew News  TY for reporting the boarding status @ San Diego.  We will be boarding Eurodam on Oct 12th - so anxious to hear.

While we are 4 Star Mariners - think we'll wait until our assigned Boarding time as other Ports are describing a chaotic mess with passengers arriving before their boarding time & 4Star not being given priority boarding.

We board the Koingsdam on November 4th and will be at the Embassy Suites the night before, I appreciate the information in this thread. We also have CO priority boarding so I guess we can drop off our bags and check in any time after 11am.

On 9/28/2023 at 5:34 PM, DAllenTCY said:

I've just returned from a trip to the port.  Construction continues on the south side of the terminal.  As of this moment....there is only one entry/exit gate.  It will be chaotic next few weeks for sure!  

There are thousands of square feet of the parking lot needing reinforcing steel rods and concrete.

With any luck the project will be completed by Thanksgiving weekend.

David

Was a bit of a mess on Monday, but luckily not too many people disembarked from our ship and process was well organized.

4 hours ago, CruisingGrandmaW said:

@Crew News  TY for reporting the boarding status @ San Diego.  We will be boarding Eurodam on Oct 12th - so anxious to hear.

While we are 4 Star Mariners - think we'll wait until our assigned Boarding time as other Ports are describing a chaotic mess with passengers arriving before their boarding time & 4Star not being given priority boarding.

4 star is given priority.  Just come up to the gate and show your boarding pass with 4 stars but remember the port does not open until around 10:30 and boarding the ship around 11:30 which boards by boarding group #

Edited by lais

5 hours ago, CruisingGrandmaW said:

Since both of our cruises are for repositioning, there will be a lot of in-transit passengers not participating in the check-in process.  My boarding on October 6th will be only 1054 passengers and not a typical San Diego Embarkation Day. 

For my past May boarding in San Diego, taxis were waved through the gates to drop off luggage.  My check-in time was not requested.  Once inside the gates, my check-in time was not requested to enter the terminal.  I entered the "Priority" line without my 5 Star status being checked.  There was a short line outside the terminal gates. YMMV.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Crew News said:

Since both of our cruises are for repositioning, there will be a lot of in-transit passengers not participating in the check-in process.  My boarding on October 6th will be only 1054 passengers and not a typical San Diego Embarkation Day. 

For my past May boarding in San Diego, taxis were waved through the gates to drop off luggage.  My check-in time was not requested.  Once inside the gates, my check-in time was not requested to enter the terminal.  I entered the "Priority" line without my 5 Star status being checked.  There was a short line outside the terminal gates. YMMV.

They only time *s are checked is when 1000 people show up at the same time and we need to control the crowding.  At that point lines are formed according to arrival time.  We really don’t want anyone to have to wait in a line but sometimes it’s unavoidable especially when there are 2 ships in port or there are delays due to ship inspections or late ship arrival. At that point 4 and 5*, orange club and Neptune suites have priority.
guests who did not print out their arrival time are asked to return after all others with arrival times have entered the building   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, lais said:

They only time *s are checked is when 1000 people show up at the same time and we need to control the crowding.  At that point lines are formed according to arrival time.  We really don’t want anyone to have to wait in a line but sometimes it’s unavoidable especially when there are 2 ships in port or there are delays due to ship inspections or late ship arrival. At that point 4 and 5*, orange club and Neptune suites have priority.
guests who did not print out their arrival time are asked to return after all others with arrival times have entered the building   

Except when they don't --- we were in a Neptune & CO for our cruise in February, 2023 & were just jammed in with the masses.

1 minute ago, 57redbird said:

Except when they don't --- we were in a Neptune & CO for our cruise in February, 2023 & were just jammed in with the masses.

Did you let them know you were Neptune?   

1 hour ago, lais said:

Did you let them know you were Neptune?   

At least twice --- once before we were put in the serpentine line to get to the check-in area inside & then again after that encounter to be boarded....it was as if the staff were deaf.

February 18th....Zaandam (14 night) and Koningsdam (35 night) cruises at the same pier.

I'll guess that there were 500+ 4 and 5* Mariners that day. 

David

Edited by DAllenTCY
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, DAllenTCY said:

February 18th....Zaandam (14 night) and Koningsdam (35 night) cruises at the same pier.

David

actually the K’dam leaves on February 17th for the 35 day cruise, not the 18th

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for all the info - we are ready to start the journey from Scotland to San Diego . We will see what time the hotel shuttle is to take us to the cruise port and take it from there. Cannot wait to board the Noordam. Happy cruising everyone

• Like 2

On 10/4/2023 at 6:08 PM, DAllenTCY said:

I'll guess that there were 500+ 4 and 5* Mariners that day. 

David

BINGO!  that was the date! -- we were on the K.