QM2 Alarm question

Minnie29

We will be travelling on QM2 next year for our first TA cruise from NYC home to Southampton.

I understand that the hour change is done at 12noon. 
We normally use our I Phone to set our morning wake up alarm but with the hour changes this could be problematic. 
Does the cabin have the facility to set a morning wake up alarm/call? 
Thank you

14 minutes ago, Minnie29 said:

We will be travelling on QM2 next year for our first TA cruise from NYC home to Southampton.

We normally use our I Phone to set our morning wake up alarm but with the hour changes this could be problematic. 
Thank you

You can arrange an automatic wake-up call on the phone.

The phone also has a little clock on it, which matches "ship's time". I do get briefly confused by time zone changes because my phone and laptop try to make a stab at timings - based on location data and what the wifi says, and doesn't alway get it right, whereas the clock on display here is correct. You can see the side button for the alarm here. You can also order room service for a specific time, even if it's just some tea and coffee, and thus get a knock on the door more-or-less as planned.

image.thumb.jpeg.430d4b333fd4a292933053ae7dac12a9.jpeg

I never got my iPhone to change time on the either crossings. I left it in the end and just kept remembering how many hours to add or subtract. !! My Apple Watch was completely haywire and I had hide it in the safe wrapped up as the alarm kept going off at 6 45 U K time. Eventually it ran out of battery and I never recharged it. The captain in his 12 o clock announcements always told us the relevant city’s time zone we were in so if you knew what you were doing you could change your phone iPad etc.. I always went by the time on the cabin  telephone or from a deck clock. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

The phone also has a little clock on it, which matches "ship's time". I do get briefly confused by time zone changes because my phone and laptop try to make a stab at timings - based on location data and what the wifi says, and doesn't alway get it right, whereas the clock on display here is correct. You can see the side button for the alarm here. You can also order room service for a specific time, even if it's just some tea and coffee, and thus get a knock on the door more-or-less as planned.

image.thumb.jpeg.430d4b333fd4a292933053ae7dac12a9.jpeg

We usually do both - with the wake up on the phone a few minutes before the room service time on the door hanger [room service _usually_ arrives just before the selected time]

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

I never got my iPhone to change time on the either crossings. I left it in the end and just kept remembering how many hours to add or subtract. !! My Apple Watch was completely haywire and I had hide it in the safe wrapped up as the alarm kept going off at 6 45 U K time. Eventually it ran out of battery and I never recharged it. The captain in his 12 o clock announcements always told us the relevant city’s time zone we were in so if you knew what you were doing you could change your phone iPad etc.. I always went by the time on the cabin  telephone or from a deck clock. 

One of the advantages of an old-fashioned wristwatch is that you can set it and be sure it's in the right time zone. I can probably reset my watch faster than my phone.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Minnie29 said:

Thank you

Good gracious call me old fashioned,   but I've never taken a cruise without my trusted  travel Alarm Clock  Leave the I Phone in the safe or under the bed  and forget about it . 

• Like 1

I don't generally need alarms to wake me in the morning and I think there were enough clocks around the ship or the cabin phone to tell us the time.

However I do like to keep the time updated on my phone and camera so that photos have the correct digital time stamp in the data. Last time I had difficulty finding a time zone for GMT-2 on my phone and had to set that manually. I've figured it out for next time.

I forgot to do that with the camera I'd taken, but it was only used for a limited number of snaps. I used an app to bulk change the exif data in the files to the correct times.

The new camera makes it easy to change between zones in each direction.

On 9/28/2023 at 9:43 PM, LittleFish1976 said:

You can set your iphone so that the time is to be changed manually; or set it to the time of a particular time zone so that it just stays on that time zone until you give it different instructions. Just two options you could use.

I normally do the same as you and have a list of the time zones that match with ships time.  I never found that you can rely on the ships WiFi to adjust for you.   There is one timezone that can be problematic.   

On an iPhone you can also just manually adjust the time without  changing the timezone but need to turn off auto adjust time.

Can someone confirm at what time Cunard changes their clocks.    I've been told by a number of people that Cunard changes timezones at Noon. 

I read this post - which indicates it depends on East bound (noon) Westbound (2AM)

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Can someone confirm at what time Cunard changes their clocks.    I've been told by a number of people that Cunard changes timezones at Noon. 

I read this post - which indicates it depends on East bound (noon) Westbound (2AM)

I can confirm for QM2 transatlantic crossings between New York and Southampton the clock changes are done at noon on eastbound crossings and at 2:00AM on westbound crossings. We were just on an 18-night round trip crossing from New York to Hamburg and back and once again that's how the clock changes were handled during the two crossings between New York and Southampton.

During the 4-night segment from Southampton to Hamburg and back the clock changes to adjust the one hour to/from Germany time were done at 2:00AM in both directions. We've seen the same occur during cruises from Southampton to Norway. The clock changes for those cruises to adjust the one hour to/from Norway time were also done at 2:00AM in both directions.

Here are the specifics for when the clock changes were made during our recent 18-night voyage on QM2. I'm using the dates of the daily programmes where the clock changes were communicated. I've highlighted the clock changes for the Hamburg segment to show those were done at 2:00AM going in both directions.

Eastbound crossing New York-Southampton

Sep 11: New York - No clock change

Sep 12: At Sea - Clock moved forward one hour at noon

Sep 13: At Sea - Clock moved forward one hour at noon

Sep 14: At Sea - Clock moved forward one hour at noon

Sep 15: At Sea - No clock change

Sep 16: At Sea - Clock moved forward one hour at noon

Sep 17: At Sea - Clock moved forward one hour at noon

Southampton-Hamburg-Southampton

Sep 18: Southampton - Clock moved forward one hour at 2:00AM early next morning

Sep 19: At Sea - No clock change

Sep 20: Hamburg - No clock change

Sep 21: At Sea - Clock moved back one hour at 2:00AM early next morning

Westbound crossing Southampton-New York

Sep 22: Southampton - Clock moved back one hour at 2:00AM early next morning

Sep 23: At Sea - Clock moved back one hour at 2:00AM early next morning

Sep 24: At Sea - Clock moved back one hour at 2:00AM early next morning

Sep 25: At Sea - No clock change

Sep 26: At Sea - No clock change

Sep 27: At Sea - Clock moved back one hour at 2:00AM early next morning

Sep 28: At Sea - Clock moved back one hour at 2:00AM early next morning

Sep 29: New York

Now I won't claim the clock changes will always be made on those five specific days of every crossing. And as I indicted in the thread quoted above, there can be the occasional crossings where there are only four clock changes because of the differences between when the UK moves to/from British Summer Time and when the US moves to/from Daylight Saving Time.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I can confirm for QM2 transatlantic crossings between New York and Southampton the clock changes are done at noon on eastbound crossings and at 2:00AM on westbound crossings. We were just on an 18-night round trip crossing from New York to Hamburg and back and once again that's how the clock changes were handled during the two crossings between New York and Southampton.

During the 4-night segment from Southampton to Hamburg and back the clock changes to adjust the one hour to/from Germany time were done at 2:00AM in both directions. We've seen the same occur during cruises from Southampton to Norway. The clock changes for those cruises to adjust the one hour to/from Norway time were also done at 2:00AM in both directions.

Here are the specifics for when the clock changes were made during our recent 18-night voyage on QM2. I'm using the dates of the daily programmes where the clock changes were communicated. I've highlighted the clock changes for the Hamburg segment to show those were done at 2:00AM going in both directions.

Eastbound crossing New York-Southampton

Sep 11: New York - No clock change

Sep 12: At Sea - Clock moved forward one hour at noon

Sep 13: At Sea - Clock moved forward one hour at noon

Sep 14: At Sea - Clock moved forward one hour at noon

Sep 15: At Sea - No clock change

Sep 16: At Sea - Clock moved forward one hour at noon

Sep 17: At Sea - Clock moved forward one hour at noon

Southampton-Hamburg-Southampton

Sep 18: Southampton - Clock moved forward one hour at 2:00AM early next morning

Sep 19: At Sea - No clock change

Sep 20: Hamburg - No clock change

Sep 21: At Sea - Clock moved back one hour at 2:00AM early next morning

Westbound crossing Southampton-New York

Sep 22: Southampton - Clock moved back one hour at 2:00AM early next morning

Sep 23: At Sea - Clock moved back one hour at 2:00AM early next morning

Sep 24: At Sea - Clock moved back one hour at 2:00AM early next morning

Sep 25: At Sea - No clock change

Sep 26: At Sea - No clock change

Sep 27: At Sea - Clock moved back one hour at 2:00AM early next morning

Sep 28: At Sea - Clock moved back one hour at 2:00AM early next morning

Sep 29: New York

Now I won't claim the clock changes will always be made on those five specific days of every crossing. And as I indicted in the thread quoted above, there can be the occasional crossings where there are only four clock changes because of the differences between when the UK moves to/from British Summer Time and when the US moves to/from Daylight Saving Time.

Great information.   I have definitely book marked it for further reference.

The timezones I use on my iPhone -   During and after DST you may have to play with Praia

New York -5

Hamilton -4

Nuuk  -3

Praia  -2

Ponta Delgada  -1

London  

I have a FitBit and unless you choose a timezone vs manually changing time it will not sync the time to my FitBit

5 hours ago, D&N said:

I hadn't found an entry for Nuuk in my zone settings, but realised when I researched a few days ago that it was a sub menu of a Greenland option.

Also known unofficially by the former name of Godthåb. I've actually worked there for a while, weird and expensive place!

• Like 1