Senior Savings Sale?

HicksRA

12 minutes ago, nferr said:

Depends on how much you drink on a cruise wouldn't you say?  $74 is equivalent to about five drinks. I can go over that easily when on a cruise ship. Especially factoring in wine at dinner, specialty coffees, etc. 

It also depends on what you drink. Your 5 drink estimate works out to $14.80 per drink, but I can get 9 drinks of the day or beers for $74. More likely for us, 4 drinks during the course of the day, a couple of lattes and a glass of wine with dinner, all for under $50. Then factor in port days when we'll be off the ship for the better part of the day. There's little chance on any day of the cruise that we'd reach either the 15-drink limit or $74 pp/pd cost.

According to today's email from RCI, only 509 passengers (of a potential 6,680) have purchased the BP. With less than 4 months till embarkation, I'm thinking that I'm not the only one who views the package as overpriced. 

I fully recognize that other passengers might drink far more and/or drink more expensive beverages, but for us, it's simply not worth it.

• Like 2

I checked our upcoming cruises -- no senior discounts available for us.  I have a couple thoughts on the topic: 

- We're over 55 but not over 65.  They know our ages because we're already booked.  Perhaps they're only offering the sale to people who qualify?  

- Royal doesn't offer a discount just to be nice.  Perhaps senior citizens don't buy the drink package as often, and this is an attempt to encourage them to buy?  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Fouremco said:

It also depends on what you drink. Your 5 drink estimate works out to $14.80 per drink, but I can get 9 drinks of the day or beers for $74. More likely for us, 4 drinks during the course of the day, a couple of lattes and a glass of wine with dinner, all for under $50. Then factor in port days when we'll be off the ship for the better part of the day. There's little chance on any day of the cruise that we'd reach either the 15-drink limit or $74 pp/pd cost.

According to today's email from RCI, only 509 passengers (of a potential 6,680) have purchased the BP. With less than 4 months till embarkation, I'm thinking that I'm not the only one who views the package as overpriced. 

I fully recognize that other passengers might drink far more and/or drink more expensive beverages, but for us, it's simply not worth it.

??? Drinks of the day are about $10-$12. Don't know how you're getting ten of those for $74. If you're drinking four drinks, a couple of lattes and a glass of wine you're way over $50.  If you drink moderately the drink package is probably not for you. For some it's well worth it. Five drinks is really easy over the course of a vacation day on a cruise ship for me.

On 9/28/2023 at 9:08 PM, cruiseguy1016 said:

I'm a senior. Challenge accepted. 😁

Most of the seniors I know could drink those younger whipper-snappers under the table! 😂 RCI will rescind this as soon as they realize that. Grab it before it’s gone! 

20 hours ago, Fouremco said:

For an upcoming January cruise, the current offer of 30% off the CAD price of $141.28 pp/pd comes to $98.90 ($73.65 USD). That's $1390.51 USD for two for an 8 night cruise, over 50% of what we paid for the cruise. These BP prices are insane IMO.

Strange, I just checked ( for our March cruise ) and the beverage package is listed at 40% off - not a senior sale. Price is $68 CAN per person/ per day which is about $50 US dollars, $566 CAN total with gratuities. Not a bad price, actually best I’ve seen in a while. 

IMG_4326.jpeg

5 hours ago, nferr said:

??? Drinks of the day are about $10-$12. Don't know how you're getting ten of those for $74. If you're drinking four drinks, a couple of lattes and a glass of wine you're way over $50.  If you drink moderately the drink package is probably not for you. For some it's well worth it. Five drinks is really easy over the course of a vacation day on a cruise ship for me.

It depends what you drink. The majority of my vouchers went to double orders of fresh squeezed OJ this week. I had no mixed drinks this week. I bought someone a birthday drink and she wanted cranberry juice, 3.50. I've occasionally gotten  specialty coffee downstairs. Mostly cokes. I asked my steward what he wanted with extra vouchers and he asked for diet coke. 

2 hours ago, son3cruisers said:

Strange, I just checked ( for our March cruise ) and the beverage package is listed at 40% off - not a senior sale. Price is $68 CAN per person/ per day which is about $50 US dollars, $566 CAN total with gratuities. Not a bad price, actually best I’ve seen in a while. 

IMG_4326.jpeg

That's crazy, $68 CAD vs $98 CAD for the same package. Lucky you!

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Interesting.  I've always wondered what percentage of cruisers buy the package.  

You say you're still four months from sailing; I wonder how many people wait until the last minute to buy the page -- or how many buy onboard.  I guarantee Royal knows these numbers exactly.  

3 hours ago, barbeyg said:

Most of the seniors I know could drink those younger whipper-snappers under the table! 😂 RCI will rescind this as soon as they realize that. Grab it before it’s gone! 

Eh, maybe.  Royal has access to every passenger's age and his or her onboard account.  They can't account for alcohol that's snuck onboard or consumed during island stops, but they "know" what each age group's spending on alcohol.   

28 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Interesting.  I've always wondered what percentage of cruisers buy the package.  

You say you're still four months from sailing; I wonder how many people wait until the last minute to buy the page -- or how many buy onboard.  I guarantee Royal knows these numbers exactly.  

Eh, maybe.  Royal has access to every passenger's age and his or her onboard account.  They can't account for alcohol that's snuck onboard or consumed during island stops, but they "know" what each age group's spending on alcohol.   

By the time you get to 65+, I just do not feel like sneaking any alcohol onboard. I did not even think about thinking about sneaking it when I was younger.

I do agree that RCI carefully watches what each age consumes because they have all of the data through your purchases or lack there of.

I could be wrong, but the amount of traveling alcohol is insignificant for RCI's calculations.

It might change as RCI chases a younger demographic.

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

nteresting.  I've always wondered what percentage of cruisers buy the package.  

I'm curious about that too. One thing I do know, however, is that I won't be buying the package onboard. It's bad enough at the sale price of $98.90 pp/pd, but the onboard price shown in the app is $141.28 CAD. Add in the auto-gratuity and the cost would come to $2667.37 CAD for the two of us.

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

I'm curious about that too. One thing I do know, however, is that I won't be buying the package onboard. It's bad enough at the sale price of $98.90 pp/pd, but the onboard price shown in the app is $141.28 CAD. Add in the auto-gratuity and the cost would come to $2667.37 CAD for the two of us.

OUCH!

🤑😨

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, firefly333 said:

It depends what you drink. The majority of my vouchers went to double orders of fresh squeezed OJ this week. I had no mixed drinks this week. I bought someone a birthday drink and she wanted cranberry juice, 3.50. I've occasionally gotten  specialty coffee downstairs. Mostly cokes. I asked my steward what he wanted with extra vouchers and he asked for diet coke. 

I mean really? That's your argument? Obviously if you're not drinking alcoholic beverages you pass on purchasing the drink package. Let's be real here.

5 hours ago, firstimer2009 said:

Please don't be on a cruise with my husband.  He will meet your challenge and raise you one.

I'll get in on that 😄.  I'm 72 and got a every cent out of my DBP last year. Now I'm Diamond so I'm bypassing the package since I get the four free drinks each day. I'm sure I'll be purchasing some though. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, firstimer2009 said:

Please don't be on a cruise with my husband.  He will meet your challenge and raise you one.

When he starts tapping the bar every fifteen minutes, I'm out! (remember the bar drinking scene from Raiders of the Lost Arc).

🤢😝

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, nferr said:

I'll get in on that 😄.  I'm 72 and got a every cent out of my DBP last year. Now I'm Diamond so I'm bypassing the package since I get the four free drinks each day. I'm sure I'll be purchasing some though. 

That's kind of my thought too.  It's our first time on RC and we booked a grand suite on Voyager next Sept from Barcelona to Rome.  I saw we have a "suite lounge" onboard and that might be enough.  Although the DH likes the fru-fru drinks too so we may need the package.  I am going to check the Black Friday specials and see what they are like since they might not the Senior discount for our sailing.

Edited by firstimer2009

13 hours ago, SUESEABE said:

Hubby and I are 65+ but no senior discount on our March booking on Radiance. Wonder why the inconsistent offering.

11 hours ago, nferr said:

Maybe it's only being offered on select sailings?

It's only for the remainder of 2023

• Thanks 1

On 9/28/2023 at 7:57 PM, nonnie&dgd said:

Some people stated that they were denied because the age for this sale is 65+ and they were over 55 but not 65.

So my husband is over 65. I am over 55 but under 65 and I was able to get it for both of us at that price

• Like 2