Fave Drinks and Dishes on Cunard's Queens!

BeachTunes

Greetings From Canada! 

We are now a mere 5 nights away from departing for our first Cunard sailing! This Friday we fly from Toronto to Barcelona to spend 2 nights in the city followed by a 7-night cruise aboard the Queen Elizabeth. The anticipation is intense! 🙂

The next few days will undoubtedly drag on, even with a jam-packed work week ahead. With our impatience in mind, I'm hoping some of your might help us bide our time by answering the following question: 

What are your favourite drinks (alcoholic or not) and dishes (Britannia Class/Included/Specialty Restaurants) on Cunard?

As mentioned, we're sailing on the Queen Elizabeth but I imagine many of the menus cross over. Thank you in advance for participating! 🍾🥩🍖🧀🦑🥦🍞

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

French onion soup

the hot lemon soufflé pudding

lasagne for lunch in Britannia 

Golden Lion - chicken curry  fish and chips 

Beef Wellington 

Thank you Winifred 22! I enjoy every item you mentioned! I've been wondering what the lunch menus look like in Britannia as they aren't posted here often so I will definitely look out for the lasagne. 🙂

• Like 1

Drink: Caffè latte at the right moment, for example after promenade in brisk weather. Sometimes I order a sparkling water or soda water and it comes in a large glass with lots of lime in it. I don't ask for that but it's a nice thing for me when it occasionally happens.

Food: I also like their Chateaubriand's, medium if I'm in the mood for. Here's an example, with wild mushroom turnover, pommes dauphinoise and Béarnaise sauce.

IMG_20230919_195132065.thumb.jpg.472b2cfb8b02608a24f19c4e3d0745da.jpg

Pan fried salmon on other days, they seem to get that just right and enjoyable, even though it's not a special dish for me otherwise. Equally Asian fusion food isn't really me either, but when I end up with it anyway I tend to really like it. This was a simple starter from a recent QM2 short trip, Chinese spring roll, sweet chilli with Asian slaw, and very nice it was too.

IMG_20230920_121100707.thumb.jpg.1f807a07d516f64afe0efe5fbabb0e03.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BeachTunes said:

Greetings From Canada! 

We are now a mere 5 nights away from departing for our first Cunard sailing! This Friday we fly from Toronto to Barcelona to spend 2 nights in the city followed by a 7-night cruise aboard the Queen Elizabeth. The anticipation is intense! 🙂

The next few days will undoubtedly drag on, even with a jam-packed work week ahead. With our impatience in mind, I'm hoping some of your might help us bide our time by answering the following question: 

What are your favourite drinks (alcoholic or not) and dishes (Britannia Class/Included/Specialty Restaurants) on Cunard?

As mentioned, we're sailing on the Queen Elizabeth but I imagine many of the menus cross over. Thank you in advance for participating! 🍾🥩🍖🧀🦑🥦🍞

The seafood sharing platter in Verandah.  Favourite Cocktail is Cancer (star sign) cocktail.

• Like 1

Thousand Journeys in the Chart Room

Dover sole served table side

Cheese cart (in Princess Grill) if they're still doing that!

Fish and chips in the pub as well as tika masala (sp?)

Any beer in there as well. Drafts are great as are the selection of British brews!

• Like 2

My favourite cocktail is the Commodore’s Cure and on QM2 last month I tried the Chieftain of the Clan for the first time. Photos of both below. They are part of the signature range of cocktails named for the Cunard commodores who have received knighthoods and are only available in the Commodore Club. A few months ago a forum member posted photos & a review of each one, having sampled them all on a single journey. I’m afraid I can’t remember who it was but hopefully they may read this thread and post a link. 

I enjoy champagne or sparkling wine-based cocktails - many different ones available and the selection changes across the different bars.

Mocktail-wise, the rumless mojito is very refreshing.

One of my favourite things to do on a sea day is to have a morning latte at the bar in the Chart Room. 

As far as food is concerned, I will give more votes for chateaubriand and the soufflés served on gala nights, all the shellfish & salmon starters and filet steak from the Verandah.

Pasta dishes at lunch are very good.

My other half likes the consommés offered in the evening, the made to order pizzas from the Lido at lunchtime and made to order breakfast omelettes.

Finally, Cunard excels in its range of afternoon tea cakes and the selection changes daily. 

IMG_3578.jpeg

IMG_3235.jpeg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mudhen said:

OOO! What is that last one? Looks wonderful! I enjoy champagne based drinks as well! mmmm!

That’s the Commodore’s Cure. It is made with Pol Roger Cuvee Winston Churchill champagne. Very nice indeed - although I believe it may be the most expensive cocktail on the ship! I think it was c$25 - I can’t be precise because Mr K generously pays for most of them. 😊

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A treat/must for many is having mid Afternoon Tea served by waiters in the Queens Room or if it is too busy you can also help yourself to sandwiches, scones and cakes in the Lido. 

The lunchtime made to order stir fry meals in the Lido are very nice and I also recommend trying some of the soups from the MDR dinner menus. 

Have a great cruise. 

• Like 1

We have enjoyed the Dover Sole (when in the Grills) and the rack of lamb (in all restaurants).

Most of the time a simple gin and tonic is fine with us, but we do like some of the Commodore Club drinks. All Consuming Passion is our favourite. We had plenty of OBC on our last two QE cruises so we enjoyed  the Chieftain of the Clan and  the Commodore's Cure. 

• Like 2

Thank you all SO much for the delicious advice and mouth watering pictures! 

I have a feeling we'll be spending a lot of time in the Commodore Club! 😉 We'll also have to spend a bit of time each morning on the promenade deck walking off all of the on board delicacies. LOL

You have made us even more excited about our first Cunard cruise! I don't think a week is long enough to savour everything but we'e going to try! 🙂

I am "one of those people" who (discreetly and quickly) takes pictures of restaurant food so I'll be sure to share lots of foodie photos when we return. 

Edited by BeachTunes
  • Like 5

If you like gin, the Duty Free store carries a unique tasting Cotswolds Gin. It’s not as juniper forward as others and very smooth. I’m not sure if Cotswold Gin is offered in bars on QE but bring some home. Goes well with Fever Tree tonic.
Also, always ask for Fever Tree brand mixers with your drinks or if you want a soft drink. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wonky said:

“Steamship” of beef in the lido buffet, never heard of it and was outstanding, melt in the mouth.

Was very common in the past.... You had to get a carver to cut it right.

• Like 1