Who's cruise quite recently? Questions about Cruise Documents.

We're sailing in a couple weeks, and I just received /read the Cruise Documents.  Yes, I do that.  I noticed two small changes, and I wonder what you who've sailed recently can say about them: 

- They say that printed copies of the Compass are available for pick up near Guest Services.  Does this mean the stewards will no longer provide one in your cabin, if requested?  (I'm still salty about the increase in gratuities coupled with the decrease in service.)

- As expected, each guest of drinking age is allowed to bring on one bottle of wine or champagne -- no change in that rule.  But no mention is made of being allowed to bring any non-alcoholic beverages (bottled water, soda, whatever), which has long been an accepted practice.  However, just to muddy things, the rules say that the staff is allowed to inspect bottles that appear to have been "tampered with" -- and they specify water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, etc.  This implies that it's still okay to bring soda, etc. onboard.  

So my question, directed to those who've sailed in the last couple weeks, What've you seen in regards to these two items?  

I just returned for the Jewel on Thursday. I never saw any Cruise Compass at Guest Services, but I did ask my Cabin Steward for one, and got one every night.

You can bring a 12 pack, up to 17oz, of non alcoholic beverages upon boarding in your checked bag. It’s per cabin, not per person.

• Like 1

Near Guest Services (where the Cruise Compass used to reside), there is a QR code to scan, and it will bring up a Cruise Compass that looks like the printed variety.   Our room steward offered us one night, also, so you may wish to ask for a physical copy from your steward.

Actually DIDN'T request nor miss the paper CC last week. I've always kept them after cruises, but does seem to be a waste of paper. With the QR code (that downloads a PDF) you can "see" all the stuff that's not available in the app.

Didn't see them in the "usual" bin at Guest Services, started to ask for one, then decided it was time to move on and not depend on them.

All I have left from this cruise is our SeaPass cards. Guess my "Cruise Memory" box will have plenty of room for future cruises.

• Like 1

For the cruise compass, even though they want people to use the app, our steward in April delivered one every night to our cabin.  We were in a JS so we get twice a day service.  I'm pretty sure, the stewards know that most people want a paper copy so while policy isn't to deliver them, they still do a lot of the time.  I'm one of those people that still carry one around all day, especially when ashore as it has the contact info for the port.

Edited by BND

I asked the cabin steward on harmony and he provided them . 

We wanted them for a first time cruiser that booked the Icon in February just to give them some idea

of the activities available. I also told them to download the app .

On 10/1/2023 at 8:32 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

As expected, each guest of drinking age is allowed to bring on one bottle of wine or champagne -- no change in that rule.

Actually, this is a change.  It used to be two bottles per cabin and now its one bottle per person so if you are in a cabin by yourself, you are only allowed 1 bottle not 2.

• Like 1

On Jewel last week, the QR code was actually  sticker on the mirror in our cabin where the chair is for a make up area.

I tried it a couple of times, it was up to date when I tried, 

Just use the phone and take a picture of the code then a link will come up, click on that. Saves paper!

Edited by Jimbo

12 hours ago, BND said:

I'm one of those people that still carry one around all day, especially when ashore as it has the contact info for the port.

I take a photo of the contact information.

12 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

I like the paper copy so I don't have carry my phone all over the ship with me.

I like the paper copy because I find the format easier -- you can see the day's events in chronological order without flipping from screen to screen.  

11 hours ago, loman said:

... We wanted them for a first time cruiser that booked the Icon in February just to give them some idea ... 

Yes, I passed on some paper Compasses to a first-time cruiser, who was very pleased to have a preview of what's available onboard.  

13 hours ago, BND said:

I'm one of those people that still carry one around all day, especially when ashore as it has the contact info for the port.

On Princess a couple of weeks ago had the paper versions.  The app doesn't have port contact information and they actually tell you to take a photo of the sign near the gangway to get that information.  The app also doesn't tell you when the ship gets into port or when all-aboard is.  Royal much better giving you this information.

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I take a photo of the contact information.

I like the paper copy because I find the format easier -- you can see the day's events in chronological order without flipping from screen to screen.  

Yes, I passed on some paper Compasses to a first-time cruiser, who was very pleased to have a preview of what's available onboard.  

In app they aren’t just in order you can “reserve” them and get notification prior 

51 minutes ago, LeeW said:

On Princess a couple of weeks ago had the paper versions.  The app doesn't have port contact information and they actually tell you to take a photo of the sign near the gangway to get that information.  The app also doesn't tell you when the ship gets into port or when all-aboard is.  Royal much better giving you this information.

All actually tells you times.