Travel Documents question

denamo

Know that on a closed loop Caribbean cruise, an "official" birth certificate can be used.  We'll be on the Regal in March leaving Galveston and heading to Fort Lauderdale.  Is this considered a closed loop since not returning to the same port?

We have passports that will be cutting it close to the six months needed to use for this cruise. Have always read six months prior to passport expiring were needed.  Not sure if we have to meet the six month requirement for each port or just from the day we embark.

Thanks for any information.

That is not a closed-loop cruise. Open-jaw is the term commonly used. You will require a passport.

The validity period (the 6 month rule) is entirely dependent on the countries your ship will visit, whether or not you intend to disembark the ship in that port.  

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages.html

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/complete-guide-to-the-six-month-passport-validity-rule/#

Edited by Outerdog
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, denamo said:

Know that on a closed loop Caribbean cruise, an "official" birth certificate can be used.  We'll be on the Regal in March leaving Galveston and heading to Fort Lauderdale.  Is this considered a closed loop since not returning to the same port?

We have passports that will be cutting it close to the six months needed to use for this cruise. Have always read six months prior to passport expiring were needed.  Not sure if we have to meet the six month requirement for each port or just from the day we embark.

Thanks for any information.

What countries are you visiting?  And what passport do you hold? (I'm assuming US, as you've mentioned birth certificate, etc for travel - but double checking).

The vast majority of Caribbean countries only require a passport to be valid for duration of stay, and - assuming US citizens - your passport only has to be valid at entry to US (and even then, there's special circumstances if it were expired).

So - in reality - it varies.  There's no blanket 6 months rule. That's a suggestion by travel advisors, but doesn't apply in many, many cases - and Princess doesn't have a blanket 6 months rule either - it depends on the itinerary..

25 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

What countries are you visiting?  And what passport do you hold? (I'm assuming US, as you've mentioned birth certificate, etc for travel - but double checking).

The vast majority of Caribbean countries only require a passport to be valid for duration of stay, and - assuming US citizens - your passport only has to be valid at entry to US (and even then, there's special circumstances if it were expired).

So - in reality - it varies.  There's no blanket 6 months rule. That's a suggestion by travel advisors, but doesn't apply in many, many cases - and Princess doesn't have a blanket 6 months rule either - it depends on the itinerary..

reedprincess,

Yes we are US citizens.  Going to Mexico, Aruba, Antigua, Curacao, and Tortola.  

Thanks for the info.

2 hours ago, Outerdog said:

That is not a closed-loop cruise. Open-jaw is the term commonly used. You will require a passport.

The validity period (the 6 month rule) is entirely dependent on the countries your ship will visit, whether or not you intend to disembark the ship in that port.  

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages.html

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/complete-guide-to-the-six-month-passport-validity-rule/#

Thanks for the clarification of closed loop vs open-jaw.  Thanks for the links. 

12 minutes ago, denamo said:

reedprincess,

Thanks for the info.

I believe Antigua has the 6 month rule. Check the international travel “learn about your destination” tab at travel.state.gov website.

Edited by t&atravel
  • Like 1

Document requirements depend on your nationality, itinerary, and other factors. For example, if one adult is traveling with one or more minors, Princess requires everyone in the party to have a passport. You can see Princess’ Travel Document requirements here 

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq/pre-cruise/prepare-for-your-cruise/

8 hours ago, denamo said:

reedprincess,

Thanks for the info.

Check the official web sites for each country's passport requirements. If even one of them has the 6 month rule then you will require valid passports with 6 months validity at the time of the visit. And yes, you must meet the requirements even if you don't disembark the ship.

You have time to renew. My renewal, in the spring of this year using the regular process took just under 3 months. There is an expedited process. You are also facing possible delays in case of a shutdown in November. I would get the renewal process going right away.

1 hour ago, avonlady6390 said:

I would just go ahead and renew now it's best to have a passport if you had a medical emergency and had to stay in one of the ports getting home could be hard if you're within the 6 months before renewal.

Especially that you can't fly home without a passport. You might be stuck in a foreign country for weeks waiting to get approval. I can't understand why it's such a long period but they do take their time from what I'm told.

15 hours ago, t&atravel said:

I believe Antigua has the 6 month rule. Check the international travel “learn about your destination” tab at travel.state.gov website.

No 6 month rule for US citizen cruise ships passengers. No passport required for US citizens arriving by cruise ship. WHTI compliant documents required. When checking the international travel requirements, always dig down to find out if the basics requirements are waived for cruise ships. Most (I hesitate to say all)  WHTI compliant countries have exceptions for cruise ship passengers. That being said, passports with 6 month validity are always recommended. @denamo I renewed my passport book (and card, nice to have another ID to bring ashore that I don't care if it gets lost and needs replacement, vs having to replace a DL) in June and it took 8 weeks door to door non-expedited. You have plenty of time.

2 hours ago, RedIguana said:

No 6 month rule for US citizen cruise ships passengers. No passport required for US citizens arriving by cruise ship. WHTI compliant documents required. When checking the international travel requirements, always dig down to find out if the basics requirements are waived for cruise ships. Most (I hesitate to say all)  WHTI compliant countries have exceptions for cruise ship passengers. That being said, passports with 6 month validity are always recommended. @denamo I renewed my passport book (and card, nice to have another ID to bring ashore that I don't care if it gets lost and needs replacement, vs having to replace a DL) in June and it took 8 weeks door to door non-expedited. You have plenty of time.

Also check on Covid requirements in March Columbia required proof of vaccination 

• Like 1

Get you passport sent in ASAP....before November 15 possible government shut down.  Hopefully, it will process quickly.

8 hours ago, voljeep said:

just saw on the news that passport renewal is down about 2 weeks now from prior due to increased staff.

7 hours ago, 1965 said:

You have plenty of time to renew your passports. I'd do that. I wouldn't take a chance on something happening that might require a passport. 

• Like 2