Quantum Hawaii repositioning

I wanted to see if anyone has done a Hawaii repositioning cruise and if you would do it again?  I am looking at quantum’s repositioning in Apr 24 from Honolulu to Vancouver.  How would you say the weather at sea is (cold/indoor weather or pool weather)…I know this can vary…just looking for perspective.  I tried looking on the Hawaii boards but didn’t see what I was looking for.  Thank you!!!

I just sailed the Ovation in May from Honolulu to Vancouver (last Royal ship to Lahaina 😢). It does start to cool down once you’re at sea, but not drastically. I checked my notes, and I didn’t write down anything that would have been out of the ordinary. I looked at my photos of Cruise Compass and predicted temps were 60-70 on sea days. Cooler as we got closer to Westcoast. It is really hard to predict year to year.

We were on this year's Honolulu to Vancouver repositioning.  As Deb says above, the weather, even at sea, was moderate.  I took some heavier clothing and didn't need it.  It was "sit out on the balcony" weather the whole trip, and pretty warm in Hawai'i. 

One thing to note:  the embarcation in Honolulu was the worst by several orders of magnitude that we have ever encountered.  It was disorganized chaos, with no attempt at helping from staff, and in an un-airconditioned warehouse of a building with no air circulation, and with several hundred people all swirling around in the heat and humidity.  It took over two hours to get to the head of the line, when there even was a line, and most of us were drenched in sweat and dizzy from the heat and the tension.  I would never, ever embark in Honolulu again unless I knew that the situation had been remedied.

41 minutes ago, vistapat said:

It was disorganized chaos, with no attempt at helping from staff, and in an un-airconditioned warehouse of a building with no air circulation, and with several hundred people all swirling around in the heat and humidity.

I had it a bit easier, since I was In Transit from Australia. But they were still confused letting the In Transit folks back on after the Coast Guard inspection was over.

We were also on this year Ovation Honolulu to Vancouver, and it did get cooler as we sailed away from Hawaii, I didn’t walk the decks towards the end of the trip because of this.

We had no issues getting on the ship, but we did have the earliest time and my husband uses a scooter - they let us go a different way because the elevator wasn’t working and we went on with the crew…..

2 hours ago, lovelife said:

I sailed Quantum Vancouver to Honolulu in 2022 and loved it. I'm booked on the Quantum April 19, 2024 Honolulu to Vancouver. I don't recall the weather specifically, but it wasn't an issue. Book it and enjoy!

We were on the same sailing, Oct. 3rd 2022. It was by far the worst cruise we have ever been on.  Days  2 to 8 were cold, rainy and very windy. Tenders to Lahaina were the longest trips ever and the weather was as humid as any place we have ever been. We usually sail Oasis Class over the last few years and Quantum was a big disappointment.  Just my personal opinion.  Vintages, Chop's and Jamies were fantastic. 

Edited by taglovestocruise

Sailed Honolulu to Vancouver on Radiance last year, late Sept/Oct. Absolutely perfect weather the whole way. Cooler the last two sea days but not cold. Arrived in Vancouver to a picture perfect fall day. We had four islands in Hawaii which was really nice for us because we were first time visitors. 

It's interesting to read of port problems on embarkation in Honolulu. We had the opposite experience. No line, no waiting, very friendly staff. By far the quickest drop off to stepping on ship experience I've ever had. Perhaps it's because we had our first night with the ship as hotel and didn't leave Honolulu until the next day?

We were also on the Quantum earlier this year, Brisbane to Honolulu, then Honolulu to Vancouver. 

Weather was moderate...actually very nice. Yes, we would happily do it again.

* Hoping for the best and quick recovery for Lahaina.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jasukkie said:

Sailed Honolulu to Vancouver on Radiance last year, late Sept/Oct. Absolutely perfect weather the whole way. Cooler the last two sea days but not cold. Arrived in Vancouver to a picture perfect fall day. We had four islands in Hawaii which was really nice for us because we were first time visitors. 

It's interesting to read of port problems on embarkation in Honolulu. We had the opposite experience. No line, no waiting, very friendly staff. By far the quickest drop off to stepping on ship experience I've ever had. Perhaps it's because we had our first night with the ship as hotel and didn't leave Honolulu until the next day?

Why would Royal send a ship TO Vancouver that time of year?  

2 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Why would Royal send a ship TO Vancouver that time of year?  

I'd say they reversed the direction.  Radiance would have been in Vancouver and heading down under.  I think they just mistyped what happened.  Radiance would have just been completely her Alaska season

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I'd say they reversed the direction.  Radiance would have been in Vancouver and heading down under.  I think they just mistyped what happened.  Radiance would have just been completely her Alaska season

That's what I was thinking, but then this statement threw me off...  "Cooler the last two sea days but not cold. Arrived in Vancouver to a picture perfect fall day. "  Almost makes it sounds like Vancouver is a final destination.  Maybe they got the months mixed up?  The whole post is written in a way that made it sound as though they go from Hawaii to Vancouver but that just can't be the case.

25 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Almost makes it sounds like Vancouver is a final destination.  Maybe they got the months mixed up?

You are right... that does sound like they got the months mixed up.  Either way Radiance is westbound in Sept and eastbound in May. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

You are right... that does sound like they got the months mixed up.  Either way Radiance is westbound in Sept and eastbound in May. 

LOL, we definitely went from Honolulu to Vancouver! From there, Radiance did a coastal California sailing to LA, and then a Panama Canal sailing. This was fall 2022. We had been booked on the coastal sailing as well but the PVSA problem prevented us from doing that as a back to back.

23 minutes ago, Jasukkie said:

LOL, we definitely went from Honolulu to Vancouver! From there, Radiance did a coastal California sailing to LA, and then a Panama Canal sailing. This was fall 2022. We had been booked on the coastal sailing as well but the PVSA problem prevented us from doing that as a back to back.

Really! After the Alaska season it must have done a one way to Hawaii and then another oneway trip coming back to Vancouver.  I never noticed that itinerary at all.  That is unusual.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Really! After the Alaska season it must have done a one way to Hawaii and then another oneway trip coming back to Vancouver.  I never noticed that itinerary at all.  That is unusual.  

I agree. This is not normal….

After researching the Roll Calls, Fall of 2022 was unique. It did a Vancouver-Honolulu, Sept 23 of 2022, and Honolulu-Vancouver, Oct 4 2022. Definitely not the norm.

Edited by crzndeb
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Yes, it was basically a big round trip to Hawaii from Vancouver. Nice back to back if you have the time. It was undersold, probably because it involved two flight legs for most people. We flew to Hawaii and then used Royal's compensation from the short notice PVSA  problem to fly from Vancouver to San Diego to complete that part of our trip, and then back east.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crzndeb said:

After researching the Roll Calls, Fall of 2022 was unique. It did a Vancouver-Honolulu, Sept 23 of 2022, and Honolulu-Vancouver, Oct 4 2022. Definitely not the norm.

2 hours ago, Jasukkie said:

Yes, it was basically a big round trip to Hawaii from Vancouver. Nice back to back if you have the time. It was undersold, probably because it involved two flight legs for most people. We flew to Hawaii and then used Royal's compensation from the short notice PVSA  problem to fly from Vancouver to San Diego to complete that part of our trip, and then back east.

Thanks, for the follow up...

If you are intending to do this cruise then be aware that the North Star won't be working. It apparently has for a couple of months now had a crack in one of the panes of glass and won't be fixed until dry dock late next year. We are doing the transpacific from Brisbane to Honolulu in April and there are some that are very disappointed. Nothing official from Royal yet but others who are and have been on this Alaska season have all said that is what they have been told by the crew.

9 hours ago, crzndeb said:

I think this was because Radiance was originally supposed to be in Australia for winter 22/23, we were booked on a b2b from Sydney on Oct/Nov 22 on Radiance but a few months before RCL pulled the ship and we had to change to Ovation. These few cruises were added as part of the repositioning of Radiance.

We did Ovation from Vancouver to Honolulu last fall.  Weather was cool the first couple of days...not outdoor pool weather...but warmed up the closer we got to Hawaii.  I would think that temps near Hawaii would be fairly consistent year to year but more variable as you get closer to Vancouver.

Our biggest problem was that we got a little bored.  Bored is probably too strong...more like the sea days were just sort of meh.  We are port people, not sea day people.  There was a lot to do during sea days, but much of it didn't appeal to us.  Some of the things that we did felt a little like we did them just for something to do, if that makes sense.

On 10/4/2023 at 9:50 AM, vistapat said:

We were on this year's Honolulu to Vancouver repositioning.  As Deb says above, the weather, even at sea, was moderate.  I took some heavier clothing and didn't need it.  It was "sit out on the balcony" weather the whole trip, and pretty warm in Hawai'i. 

One thing to note:  the embarcation in Honolulu was the worst by several orders of magnitude that we have ever encountered.  It was disorganized chaos, with no attempt at helping from staff, and in an un-airconditioned warehouse of a building with no air circulation, and with several hundred people all swirling around in the heat and humidity.  It took over two hours to get to the head of the line, when there even was a line, and most of us were drenched in sweat and dizzy from the heat and the tension.  I would never, ever embark in Honolulu again unless I knew that the situation had been remedied.

Just disembarked from Radiance this past Wednesday. Disembarkation was one of the most disorganized I have experienced in almost 50 cruises with RCL or MSC for that matter. I cant really blame RCL as I think it is a Port of Honolulu problem. 

Weather was cold leaving Vancouver and practically no one on pool deck till we were a couple days from Hawaii. Take it that it would be ok for the first 2 days out from Hawaii then get progressively colder sailing north.

On 10/5/2023 at 9:53 AM, Tree_skier said:

Sounds like a conversation I just had in the DL this past week. Husband informed me that they just booked the April 2025 sailing of Ovation from Honolulu to Australia. I told him that he probably meant Honolulu to Vancouver as this is when ships reposition to Alaska for the summer season. He got agitated and replied I was wrong. Said he would show me the booking to prove it. I said no need to and enjoy his cruise in April 2025. Then excused myself to talk to other friends. Just avoided talking to them again for the last half of cruise.

• Haha 1