Currently onboard Celebrity Edge Sky suite... Not sure if I am impressed.

leyland1989

We have been on Celebrity Summit before in Aqua class back in November 2022, had a good experience, wanted to try the "new" ship so we booked a Mediterranean cruise on the Edge. 

The ship is about 5 years old, which should still be considered new. The general condition of the ship and the room is acceptable but can clearly show some wear over the years. 

The coffee table in our room is stained with various marks (and we were told that it has been cleaned and the stain wouldn't come off), the toilet seat have some yellow stain from the rubber pad of the lid and one side of it is missing. 

The shower door bracket is also a little loose, it can swing open easily both way (and it is only meant to be open inward).

The drawers are pretty rough and 2 of them don't open or close smoothly, the railing of the second drawer had fallen off and will rub against the bottom drawer when you close it. 

The retreat lounge chairs and couch are in rather poor shape and dirty.  

When our stateroom were prepared, some glassware and most amenities were missing, e.g. card holders, toed bag, slippers, binoculars, etc are all missing. Also, the "deep sleep sign" is also missing from the door.

We were told that they ran out of slippers and they "needed to be flown in from Miami..." but we got some non-branded ones shortly after from our retreat host. 
No big deals.  All the other missing items mysteriously shown up after turn down service (except for the binoculars (not that we are going to use it), and the do not disturb sign), we even got a plant on our coffee table somehow.  

Now here comes the actual problems... As we were taking a shower, we notice the water barely drain from the bathtub. Upon further inspection, it's almost entirely clogged. I ended up pulling out probably 5 years worth of hair and dead skin out of that drain...  
Also, the toilet stopped working in the middle of the night, not sure if the vacuum pump was offline for a moment, but it worked again about 15 mins later. 

Hopefully the upcoming drydock after our trip will address some of these issues.

I am not complaining or blaming the crew and I can clearly tell they are overworked, but there are so many details like this devaluing the experience... along with all the cutback and price increase, We probably won't be back again. 

Edited by leyland1989
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Wow, it sounds like you mini suite has had some hard usage.   It’s amazing how the cabins are abused and misused.   The coffee table needs to be refinished and how do you use the toilet with half of the seat missing??   You even cleaned out the shower drain and I can’t imagine doing that.

Good luck with the rest of the cruise.

• Like 2

Just now, Covepointcruiser said:

Wow, it sounds like you mini suite has had some hard usage.   It’s amazing how the cabins are abused and misused.   The coffee table needs to be refinished and how do you use the toilet with half of the seat missing??   You even cleaned out the shower drain and I can’t imagine doing that.

Good luck with the rest of the cruise.

Just the rubber pad under the lid, still usable. 

The shower door bracket is also a little loose, it can swing open easily both way (and it is only meant to be open inward). 

It's only the first day, let's see if there are more issues in the coming days... 

The room has definitely been abused over the years. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would  not have cleaned out the shower drain.  I am a skilled tradesman and can do  many things.   How did you do that?   My guess is to use a wire coat hanger.  I still would have called maintenance.    If the person that was cleaning the shower (wonder if they actually did) they should have reported that it was clogged and not draining.  

We had drawers that didn’t close properly.  It was an easy fix for me as they somehow came off of the tracks and I just pulled out the drawers and reinserted them.  But If the tracks came off that is for the maintenance crew. 

I am thinking that the issues you have experienced may become a norm because of all of the cutbacks placing more on the workers 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1

2 hours ago, leyland1989 said:

We have been on Celebrity Summit before in Aqua class back in November 2022, had a good experience, wanted to try the "new" ship so we booked a Mediterranean cruise on the Edge. 

The ship is about 5 years old, which should still be considered new. The general condition of the ship and the room is acceptable but can clearly show some wear over the years. 

The coffee table in our room is stained with various marks (and we were told that it has been cleaned and the stain wouldn't come off), the toilet seat have some yellow stain from the rubber pad of the lid and one side of it is missing. 

The drawers are pretty rough and 2 of them don't open or close smoothly, the railing of the second drawer had fallen off and will rub against the bottom drawer when you close it. 

When our stateroom were prepared, some glassware and most amenities were missing, e.g. card holders, toed bag, slippers, binoculars, etc are all missing. Also, the "deep sleep sign" is also missing from the door.

We were told that they ran out of slippers and they "needed to be flown in from Miami..." but we got some non-branded ones shortly after from our retreat host. 
No big deals.  All the other missing items mysteriously shown up after turn down service (except for the binoculars (not that we are going to use it), and the do not disturb sign), we even got a plant on our coffee table somehow.  

Now here comes the actual problems... As we were taking a shower, we notice the water barely drain from the bathtub. Upon further inspection, it's almost entirely clogged. I ended up pulling out probably 5 years worth of hair and dead skin out of that drain...  
Also, the toilet stopped working in the middle of the night, not sure if the vacuum pump was offline for a moment, but it worked again about 15 mins later. 

Hopefully the upcoming drydock after our trip will address some of these issues.

I am not complaining or blaming the crew and I can clearly tell they are overworked, but there are so many details like this devaluing the experience... along with all the cutback and price increase, We probably won't be back again. 

If you used a TA, I would copy and send this review to them while you're still on the ship. 

• Like 2

You paid good money, and don't get these days back for what is inexcusable.  Ask for a senior hotel operations person to take responsibility.  

Take video and pictures of the issues, send them to the Executive Office, the QR code, show them around in the Retreat Lounge, when the hotel director smiles and asks how are you show her the video and pictures, when you see the senior officers show them the filth you cleaned, and so on.  At the meet the captain at and crew clap along at the plaza, share your pictures.  The operation is mismanaged at the most basic of levels.  

Consider posting the video and pictures in a thread, YouTube, and Instagram.  Sharing far and wide is more than appropriate. 

Edited by Cap_D
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The cabins are not fully ready to be occupied until after 1-1:30. You can drop off carry ons and put stuff in the safe, but earlier but should leave until it is announced that tge cabins are ready.  The items you found missing ( glassware, tote bag, card holder, etc are generally the last things they bring in.  If you occupied your cabin early the attendant may have waited until later to deliver the items.

Your description of the drain is disgusting, I would not have touched and would have reported it to tge canine attendant of housekeeping supervisor.  

Hope you find the remainder of the cruise a better experience.

• Like 1

I would copy your post and submit to immediate attention of the hotel director.. and housekeeping  So many flaws. Doesn't someone do routine inspections ?

Def request a NEW toilet seat!

and an unstained  table...They  should have replacenents   on reserve

how  is the mattress?

There are attention to detail cards that may be in your cabin.   If not go to GR and get some but since you are in a suite report it to the now butler team and also the Retreat Hosts, plus the head butler and also ask them for the cards.   

Supposedly the cards  get read by the home office besides the staff on board 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

2 hours ago, emmas gran said:

As I'm doing 40 nights in a SS would love to know your room number after the cruise please

I'm sure our room has the best drainage in the shower on the entire ship 😉  

Edited by leyland1989
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

We have brought it to the attention of our stateroom attendant. Most of the issues are resolved promptly. Like I said, I am not trying to blame it on any individual staff, if that many things going wrong in so many different area, it is a leadership problem rather than negligent of individuals. 

As for why I didn't ask housekeeping or maintenance to fix my drain... Imagine being naked in ankle deep water, tired after 5 days of non-stop travelling, at 11:00pm at night. 

The last thing I wanted is to have an army of housekeeper, maintenance and managers showing up in my room inspecting the drain. A hanger is a much quicker solution. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, jelayne said:

The cabins are not fully ready to be occupied until after 1-1:30. You can drop off carry ons and put stuff in the safe, but earlier but should leave until it is announced that tge cabins are ready.  The items you found missing ( glassware, tote bag, card holder, etc are generally the last things they bring in.  If you occupied your cabin early the attendant may have waited until later to deliver the items.

Your description of the drain is disgusting, I would not have touched and would have reported it to tge canine attendant of housekeeping supervisor.  

Hope you find the remainder of the cruise a better experience.

it's 15:00 in the afternoon and after the "preparing room" sign has been taken off. 

I'm still missing the laundry bag from the room, although I have received the voucher of my pre-paid laundry service.

3 minutes ago, leyland1989 said:

it's 15:00 in the afternoon and after the "preparing room" sign has been taken off. 

I'm still missing the laundry bag from the room, although I have received the voucher of my pre-paid laundry service.

please do what others said, take pictures and go to GR.  I'm sure you paid a lot of money.  Sounds like a cheap motel room for $69 a night

• Like 1

17 hours ago, leyland1989 said:

I would recommend you immediately proceed to the Retreat Lounge and have a long hard conversation with the Retreat Host and also ask to speak with the Hotel Director and point out all these things. 

Worst that could happen is things remain the same.  However, we have been please to have everything addressed up to and including getting future cruise credit as compensation for a less intensive list of issues than yours.

• Like 4

oh  yucky.. do not settle for this shabby stateroom.  If you are polite, they will  help you out.    EDGE is so much  better than that!

A good cleaning product  could fix the table..otherwise..replace..

• Like 1