Medallion Net, Crew Chat, Life Safety Hazards

SargassoPirate

17 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Someone next to us once always put their dirty dishes right in front of our door and I almost went flying when I stepped on a tray of dishes not expecting it to be there.  They certainly weren’t our dishes .. maybe somebody thought they were ours and slid them back in front of our door.  Don’t do that!  You may not be teaching a lesson to the person you’ve intended.  

We either take our dirty dishes back to where to got them or call for a pick up.  Now, there is a place in the app under ‘services’ where you can order your dirty dishes to be picked up.  They never tell you to put them in the hallway.  

Nonsense. If a person is paying even the slightest attention, it's very obvious which cabin the dirty dishes belong to. 

Sounds like your neighbors were the culprit behind your near trip and fall. 

Your approach to dealing with your dirty dishes is the correct one and is appreciated by all. Thank you for your attention to doing things "the right way". 😀

15 hours ago, Outerdog said:

Yeah, even our stew has told us to put it out in the corridor.

same here and usually the tray is picked up in a short time. Pushing a tray in front of a doorway is akin to leaving a mobility cart in the hallway. That's like kicking the can down the road.

1 hour ago, Bgwest said:

Nonsense. If a person is paying even the slightest attention, it's very obvious which cabin the dirty dishes belong to. 

Your approach to dealing with your dirty dishes is the correct one and is appreciated by all. Thank you for your attention to doing things "the right way". 😀

I've watched people place their dirty dishes across the hallway from their cabin so it isn't always obvious which cabin the dirty dishes belong to.  I've also had dishes placed in front of our cabin and figure it's from the neighbor but would never assume that and push it back over as I'm not touching others used dishes.

I simply call down to have it removed. Next cruise I will take advantage of crew chat.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

16 hours ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

I've watched people place their dirty dishes across the hallway from their cabin so it isn't always obvious which cabin the dirty dishes belong to.  I've also had dishes placed in front of our cabin and figure it's from the neighbor but would never assume that and push it back over as I'm not touching others used dishes.

I simply call down to have it removed. Next cruise I will take advantage of crew chat.

CJ....Crew chat is a great improvement for reporting issues, especially safety hazards, since it's easy to take a screen shot to document your complaint.

In the past, reporting issues to guest services resulted in blank looks, something written on a piece of scrap paper, or the crew typing something on a screen visible to them only.  If the situation wasn't remedied, one had to start the process all over again.  Valuable time wasted and no remedy.

One thing that organizations hate is documentation, especially when the document notifies them of a hazard.  Failure to take action on known hazards are fodder for the sensationalizing press.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2023 at 5:31 PM, Paula_MacFan said:

They told us this very thing 3 times over the past 2 weeks on the Island.  Maybe don't say 'never'.  We called and spoke to a live person and asked them to please pick up our tray when they had time -- no hurry.  Each time we were told to put it in the hallway which I didn't want to do. 

I stand corrected.  

On 10/11/2023 at 8:14 AM, Bgwest said:

I found a handy way to address the issue of trays in the hallway.

When I see one, I slide it back directly in front of the offender’s door. Given that the cabin doors all have a slightly recessed entry area, it gets it out of the hallway, and hopefully makes a point to the offender.

I’d  like to take credit for the idea but someone here on cc posted this idea some time back.

You are doing wrong and, as previously posted, creating a potential slip and fall for the cabin occupants.  The person putting the tray in the hall is following what the cruise line staff say they should do.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, ldubs said:

You are doing wrong and, as previously posted, creating a potential slip and fall for the cabin occupants.  The person putting the tray in the hall is following what the cruise line staff say they should do.   

Opinions abound.  Like so many other things.  How about this, you do you and I’ll do me?

2 hours ago, Bgwest said:

Opinions abound.  Like so many other things.  How about this, you do you and I’ll do me?

Well, no matter how exhilarating some might find it,  I won't be pushing food trays in front of cabin doors.      

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

On 10/13/2023 at 1:18 PM, Bgwest said:

Wrong again. ☝️

Complete agreement. 

The only wrong is intentionally creating a slip and fall hazard, no matter how important being the self appointed hall monitor might be. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I just request to have the tray picked up under OCEAN NOW  -> AMENITIES -> RETRIEVE TRAY. Gone in a matter of minutes. Doesn't really matter if its mine or my neighbors.  I don't want it by / across from my door

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 5

On 10/11/2023 at 11:22 AM, 2 cruises a year said:

Also, can you just imagine trying to walk thru the corridors in the dark during a crisis causing the lights to be out?

Just to be clear, there are three separate lighting systems in the passageways.  There are the normal lights that are on all the time.  Some of these "normal" lights are "emergency lights", that are fed from either the main generators, or the emergency generator when the main power fails.  These are about 1 in 3 or 4 of the "normal" lights, and are marked with small red dot stickers.  Finally, there are the battery lights that will come on if the emergency generator fails, providing minimal lighting.  So, there would be very rare scenarios where there are no lights in the passageways.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/11/2023 at 11:32 PM, Cruise Raider said:

Someone next to us once always put their dirty dishes right in front of our door and I almost went flying when I stepped on a tray of dishes not expecting it to be there.  They certainly weren’t our dishes .. maybe somebody thought they were ours and slid them back in front of our door.  Don’t do that!  You may not be teaching a lesson to the person you’ve intended.  

We either take our dirty dishes back to where to got them or call for a pick up.  Now, there is a place in the app under ‘services’ where you can order your dirty dishes to be picked up.  They never tell you to put them in the hallway.  

Just off Sky Princess and that's exactly what we were told every time I asked.

• Like 2

When we were on the Celebrity Infinity a number of years ago and they put a room service carts in the corners along each deck, both forward and aft, where passengers could place their dirty dishes in the corners.  It worked out quite well as they were checked regularly.  

While it would never work on a Grand class ship, because there are really no corners, but this idea might work on a Royal class ship, as they have deep corners in the hallways.  

• Like 1

On 10/12/2023 at 11:53 AM, Bgwest said:

Or maybe it was someone who took your advice and created a tripping hazard for them. But as you do not stay to see your results you will never know if a passenger gets injured by your actions.

Edited by Potstech
  • Like 1