Medallion Net, Crew Chat, Life Safety Hazards

SargassoPirate

I  found another good use for the Medallion Net app.  While on board some recent cruises this year, I used the Crew Chat feature to report passenger mobility devices that had been stored in the corridors and/or stairwell lobbies.  In other words, paths of exit travel in case of fire or other emergency. I've even encountered scooters stored in little alcoves right under the firehose cabinet.

I did screen shots of the chat and if the crew did not take action in a day or two, I asked to see the hotel director and showed him my screen shots.  If they seemed reticent to take any action as one did by making excuses, I informed them that by failing to enforce SOLAS fire safety standards, they were taking full personal responsibility should something untoward happen.

That did the trick and I no longer waste my time stopping by guest services to report mobility device issues.

They must love me. 🚒

• Like 8
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I’m glad you did that, but wonder what happened to the scooters?  If they don’t fit in the cabin, where did they get moved to?  

On past cruises, when I followed up with the hotel director, if the scooter didn't fit in the cabin, the passenger could arrange for a crew member to store it elsewhere and  bring it back in the morning when the person is ready to leave the cabin in the morning.

Valet parking.

What baffles me is why anyone would think it's ok to park a scooter in the corridor overnight, but then I've seen worse and the results when Murphy's Law kicks in.

• Like 3

I've always been peeved by this issue as well.  Not sure why these passengers think that the corridor is an extension of their cabin.  I've never had the chutzpa to report it, though. 

Now if the crew could do something about the dirty dishes and trays left in the hallway.  If you don't like them smelling up your cabin, don't eat in your cabin.  The hallway that is shared by other passengers shouldn't smell either and that's on top of the safety issue that this practice presents.  Recently on an Alaska cruise on the Majestic, my section always had bowls half full of broth from the Noodle Bar littering the corridor, and I felt like gagging from the smell many times walking to my cabin.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I’m glad you did that, but wonder what happened to the scooters?  If they don’t fit in the cabin, where did they get moved to?  

Not your problem.  If the scooters do not fit into the room the people should not be allowed to have them on the ship.  

DON

• Like 4

All of the comments above are answered on princess.com under Accessible Cruising.  Bold type, my emphasis.

Please ensure that your mobility device meets the following specifications:

• Maximum device width: 22” for standard staterooms, 31” for wheelchair-accessible staterooms
  • Maximum combined weight of the wheelchair, including guest: 600 pounds (weight may vary outside the United States)

Your mobility device must be securely stored in your stateroom when not in use. This will ensure that hallways and other public areas are clear for other guests and crew to safely move throughout the ship. We do not offer alternate locations for mobility device storage onboard. For assistance onboard with charging your equipment in your stateroom, please contact your stateroom attendant.

If you are bringing other mobility equipment onboard or if you have booked Princess transfers, pre or post hotel stays, Cruisetours or shore excursions you must complete our Mobility Questionnaire (PDF) and return it to us at least 60 days prior to sailing. (This questionnaire also references storing your scooter in the cabin)

Please be advised that filing out the Mobility Questionnaire is to ensure that our Access team can properly assist you with your accessibility and mobility needs. It is not an approval or confirmation of any request, nor does it guarantee being booked into or moved to an accessible cabin. Please ensure that you discuss your cabin needs with your Travel Advisor or our Reservations department.

• Like 7

Responding SargassoPirate's post:   Glad you took the initiative and reported it.  Hat's off to you! Can you just imagine trying to walk thru the corridors when the ship is going thru some rough seas.  There were times when the wife and I were walking thru a "clear" corridor and had to hold on to the rails; imagine if we also had to negotiate around scooters! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

I  found another good use for the Medallion Net app.  While on board some recent cruises this year, I used the Crew Chat feature to report passenger mobility devices that had been stored in the corridors and/or stairwell lobbies.  In other words, paths of exit travel in case of fire or other emergency. I've even encountered scooters stored in little alcoves right under the firehose cabinet.

What always puzzles me about this is that someone who needs a mobility scooter could be either unaware or worse, just not care, that they are making it impossible for anyone else who uses a scooter or wheelchair to navigate the corridor. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, SCX22 said:

Now if the crew could do something about the dirty dishes and trays left in the hallway.  If you don't like them smelling up your cabin, don't eat in your cabin.  The hallway that is shared by other passengers shouldn't smell either and that's on top of the safety issue that this practice presents.  Recently on an Alaska cruise on the Majestic, my section always had bowls half full of broth from the Noodle Bar littering the corridor, and I felt like gagging from the smell many times walking to my cabin.

We just disembarked from the Island last week. We ordered evening room service 3 times. Each time I called the dine line and spoke to a live person, requesting they pick up our tray when they had time. Every time they asked us to put it outside our door. I was very reluctant to do this based on comments like yours above. However, each time the trays were removed within probably 15 minutes -- we kept looking. 

I try hard not to be one of 'those people' on a cruise. We try hard to be self aware. Now if you could do something about all the people on loud speaker face time calls I'd really appreciate it 😊

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Pickels said:

Responding SargassoPirate's post:   Glad you took the initiative and reported it.  Hat's off to you! Can you just imagine trying to walk thru the corridors when the ship is going thru some rough seas.  There were times when the wife and I were walking thru a "clear" corridor and had to hold on to the rails; imagine if we also had to negotiate around scooters! 

Not only do scooters parked in exit corridors impede able bodied people, but they also can also impede other mobility device users.

I assume people park their scooters in the exit corridors out of ignorance, but it's the job of the crew to enforce safety standards.

I urge anyone who encounters a scooter - even a baby buggy - parked in the corridor to report it.  

See something, say something.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

I did screen shots of the chat and if the crew did not take action in a day or two, I asked to see the hotel director and showed him my screen shots.  If they seemed reticent to take any action as one did by making excuses, I informed them that by failing to enforce SOLAS fire safety standards, they were taking full personal responsibility should something untoward happen.

That did the trick and I no longer waste my time stopping by guest services to report mobility device issues.

They must love me. 🚒

You must be fun at Partys

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I found a handy way to address the issue of trays in the hallway.

When I see one, I slide it back directly in front of the offender’s door. Given that the cabin doors all have a slightly recessed entry area, it gets it out of the hallway, and hopefully makes a point to the offender.

I’d  like to take credit for the idea but someone here on cc posted this idea some time back.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pickels said:

Also, can you just imagine trying to walk thru the corridors in the dark during a crisis causing the lights to be out?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Redrobo said:

Hope you don't put your suit cases in the corridor, on the last night of your cruise.

Luggage are placed in the corridor at the crew's direction and are promptly removed.

Scooters are placed in the corridor contrary to crew's direction.

Piss poor comparison.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Bgwest said:

I found a handy way to address the issue of trays in the hallway.

When I see one, I slide it back directly in front of the offender’s door. Given that the cabin doors all have a slightly recessed entry area, it gets it out of the hallway, and hopefully makes a point to the offender.

I’d  like to take credit for the idea but someone here on cc posted this idea some time back.

Someone next to us once always put their dirty dishes right in front of our door and I almost went flying when I stepped on a tray of dishes not expecting it to be there.  They certainly weren’t our dishes .. maybe somebody thought they were ours and slid them back in front of our door.  Don’t do that!  You may not be teaching a lesson to the person you’ve intended.  

We either take our dirty dishes back to where to got them or call for a pick up.  Now, there is a place in the app under ‘services’ where you can order your dirty dishes to be picked up.  They never tell you to put them in the hallway.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Redrobo said:

Hope you don't put your suit cases in the corridor, on the last night of your cruise.

There is a set time for luggage to be out and ever since the re-start, I've noticed the window has gotten smaller.  Pre-pandemic, instructions were always have luggage out by midnight.  The cruises I've been on this year, the instructions have said place luggage out between 1700 and 2100.  Too add, I've noticed that they don't linger in the corridor for very long.  Having said that, I always self carry off the ship.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Someone next to us once always put their dirty dishes right in front of our door and I almost went flying when I stepped on a tray of dishes not expecting it to be there.  They certainly weren’t our dishes .. maybe somebody thought they were ours and slid them back in front of our door.  Don’t do that!  You may not be teaching a lesson to the person you’ve intended.

Been there done that.  I've learned to look down before stepping over the threshold and out of my cabin.

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

They never tell you to put them in the hallway.  

They told us this very thing 3 times over the past 2 weeks on the Island.  Maybe don't say 'never'.  We called and spoke to a live person and asked them to please pick up our tray when they had time -- no hurry.  Each time we were told to put it in the hallway which I didn't want to do. 

• Like 2